STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

It's probably legit and say that because of this: it's boring and unimaginative and looks just like the Darth maul version they used a few years back and also looks like the Yoda version they did a few years back. It shows how lazy and uninspired the marketing people are. They said, "Hey, let's use the same art and just slap the new guy's face on it where Maul's use to be! Job done! Now let's go get blitzed!" 

Official street date for "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" merchandise is midnight September 4, 2015.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Official_Street_Date_For_Star_Wars_The_Force_Awakens_Merchandise_Is_September_4_2015_164078.asp

​The merchandise is being released 3 1/2 months before the movie hits theaters?  That seems pretty ridiculous but I guess Star Wars is going to sell no matter what.  They probably want to make sure they have plenty of time to crank up production and flood the market before Christmas.  I'm curious if this means we will see the new LEGO sets at San Diego Comic-Con in July or they will still have to keep it under wraps until closer to the street date?

Edited by zskid00

Well, it's a no-brainer to put the merchandise out 3 months before christmas..  I'm sure many brickpickers will be there on September 4th by midnight to buy stuff.  I know my son and I will be there. 

I actually like the box art.  It sticks with the lego brand.

More updates about who is playing who.

The Chrome Trooper

"First Order officer Captain Phasma (Gwendoline Christie) surveys the rubble following an attack."

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/movies/20150504_Reuters_L4N0XV3DI__Star_Wars___Adam_Driver__Gwendoline_Christie__Lupita_Nyong_o_s__Force_Awakens__Characters_Revealed.html?viewGallery=y

Edited by jaisonline
  • Like 1

Just from the images this seems to be a dark movie in the vein of ESB.  I'm looking forward to it -- I hope the movie lives up to the hype.  I do like the way they're gradually revealing more actual details.

So, many new Ep. 7 products launch on Sept. 4 -- are the Lego products also coming out that date?  There was a rumor awhile back that this was the case.  If so, we should start seeing some more official images leaked soon.

• Like 1

I'm sure many have read this, but in the Vanity Fair interview JJ Abrams mentioned something about putting Jar Jar's skeleton in a scene on Jakku in Ep 7 just to get some enjoyment from those who disliked the character from the prequels.

The link is here for those interested: http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/05/jj-abrams-star-wars-extended-interview

• Like 1

I dont understand why people are so tepid about the commercial success of this upcoming movie.

If strictly examine JJ's record with Star Trek he will utterly smash it. He's going to bring a tangible sense of realism with acute sense of detail that will for sure propel the franchise.

Plus, it totally looks like Daisy Ridley is going to be the next jedi. It will provide Star Wars with the most unique marketing opportunity any modern film can provide. It wont be avatar in terms of commercial success, but there is no doubt in my mind the quality of the film to reinvigorate interest will be there.

I don't get all the hate against this stupid Jar Jar creature :) Ok...it's retarded and shouldn't be in the movie at first placed, but hopefully lesson learned and there will be no more characters like this. I don't fancy the Ewoks either, but ...i guess they're at least cute and there is no rage against them. They're very popular between girls and kids at least...

I am not too sure what to expect from this JJ guy on the new SW movies. It will surely be a smashing hit with very impressive visual expression and the euphoria will be through the roof, but I have to say that after watching his Star Trek movie from 2009 where it was all special effects and a very flat story line I have to say I wasn't very impressed. For instance the old Star Trek movies were much more interesting despite the naive special effects from the past. 95% of the modern movies suffer from that - great special effect, great quality picture but rubbish storyline and generally poor acting..but I guess this is what the public likes. The last thing I want to see from the new SW movies is just another fast paced action movie which relies on the special effects to keep the crowd entertained... Let's see. I am not expecting to be disappointed, nor expecting it to beat the OT, just waiting for the 18 of December so I can make my judgement:)))

nor expecting it to beat the OT

​The OT is not that great story wise either. Guess what propelled Star Wars back then? Visuals and atmosphere. It was new back then, seeing stuff like that. EPV was somewhat not that cheesy, but still nothing extraordinary. The flow of the story, the Empire's status and power relations are all messed up, pretty much to serve great action scenes. Ad-hoc stuff thrown together to look cool, which was a success. SW was always about the action, visuals AND coolness, which the ewoks and jar jar go against. Why do you think Boba Fett is popular? Because he is cool.

People have to look behind the mist of nostalgia and memories. SW was a memorable flick, a first of its kind, just as cheesy and about visuals as the movies people like to criticise. I am not saying I don't like SW, but I don't go there for the story. It has to make sense on a level, but great stories are for more serious movies where there is time to develop them.

• Like 2

​The OT is not that great story wise either. Guess what propelled Star Wars back then? Visuals and atmosphere. It was new back then, seeing stuff like that. EPV was somewhat not that cheesy, but still nothing extraordinary. The flow of the story, the Empire's status and power relations are all messed up, pretty much to serve great action scenes. Ad-hoc stuff thrown together to look cool, which was a success. SW was always about the action, visuals AND coolness, which the ewoks and jar jar go against. Why do you think Boba Fett is popular? Because he is cool.

People have to look behind the mist of nostalgia and memories. SW was a memorable flick, a first of its kind, just as cheesy and about visuals as the movies people like to criticise. I am not saying I don't like SW, but I don't go there for the story. It has to make sense on a level, but great stories are for more serious movies where there is time to develop them.

With your SW OT comments, it's like I don't know you anymore :(

• Like 1

With your SW OT comments, it's like I don't know you anymore :(

​Kind of breaking the spell, is not it? I like SW, but I like it for as it is. I don't think more into it than what I said above. I can understand you, but to do what I do I had to learn how to overcome personal biases.

For an evening flick it is the best you can get. However I never had a great introduction to this universe, I just watched them on TV when they were aired on Sunday evenings. I even saw EPV first, so it was not in order. Without the hype it was on the same level for me as the Lion King or Back to the Future.

However I like certain elements of this universe, but to match my taste the movies had to be more gritty, run-down and apocalyptic. No stupid characters. Mix in some amorality. For example I don't know if you played KoToR II, but what Obsidian did there was the closest to what I want to see. Nothing was perfect, the Jedi order was flawed and eccentric, the Sith were nihilistic and all of the characters were unique and twisted. No clear line between good and evil. Nar-Shaddaa was the asshole of the Galaxy with drugs, prostitution, slavery, crime bosses and smuggling, my favorite setting. Would be great for a Boba Fett movie.

• Like 2

Plus, it totally looks like Daisy Ridley is going to be the next jedi. It will provide Star Wars with the most unique marketing opportunity any modern film can provide. It wont be avatar in terms of commercial success, but there is no doubt in my mind the quality of the film to reinvigorate interest will be there.

​They may use her angle to cash in on the "Hunger Games" young adult crowd.