Have you built 76023 The Tumbler?  

387 members have voted

1. 1. ignore.

• ignore
    • Ignore
  2. 2. Have you built 76023 The Tumbler?

• Yes
    • No

Going back to this set, honestly it`s not bad looking IMHO, which I`m surprised I`m even saying. It`s not ugly, and if Lego were to release something similar I`d be buying it at the price-point. Sad to see. 

It is not bad looking because IT IS an actual rip off from an official lego set: 7888-1

brickpicker_set_7888-1_4.jpg

But I guarantee that if you actually get your hands on one of these "decools" the actual thing you get won't be good looking. Not for an AFOL eye for sure. 

Some friends of mine are chinese, they offered me a "Decool" toy (a lego hero factory knock-off) and man... it really hurts the fingers.

The pieces are really tight, it's very hard to put bricks together. Not enjoyable at all.

But for display it's ok. 99% of people would be ok with its display considering the price.

Again, when you try to mount the pieces, you understand why it's sold for such a cheap price. Same "quality" as mega bloks, but mega bloks has loose pieces, and Decool very tight ones. Not fun at all (I wonder if I can unbuild the toy, not sure that I would not break some pieces).

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

Some friends of mine are chinese, they offered me a "Decool" toy (a lego hero factory knock-off) and man... it really hurts the fingers.

The pieces are really tight, it's very hard to put bricks together. Not enjoyable at all.

But for display it's ok. 99% of people would be ok with its display considering the price.

Again, when you try to mount the pieces, you understand why it's sold for such a cheap price. Same "quality" as mega bloks, but mega bloks has loose pieces, and Decool very tight ones. Not fun at all (I wonder if I can unbuild the toy, not sure that I would not break some pieces).

So true. I picked up a generic Cobi Ninjago set for my son 2 years at a flea market. I really wanted to knowing the diff. The brick and print quality and colors were poor with errors. The elements' clutch power were terrible.

It is not bad looking because IT IS an actual rip off from an official lego set: 7888-1

But I guarantee that if you actually get your hands on one of these "decools" the actual thing you get won't be good looking. Not for an AFOL eye for sure.

Ha, completely forgot about this one! It`s been that long, hasn`t it. They are very similar aren`t they, crazy.

The best link I could find lists it for $35.29USD, I`m not going to post it though, of obvious reasons. Wouldn`t want to encourage anybody to actually order one haha. But yes, sub-$40USD appears to be the price. Quite a few steps down from the UCS Tumbler... Clearly there`s a market and they`re capitalizing on it. When you start to see sets like this coming out it`s really becoming a concern, we`ve talked about it extensively in the other thread about mixing these fakes with Lego. Even experienced buyers aren`t going to be able to tell the difference without putting in a large amount of time. 

Going back to this set, honestly it`s not bad looking IMHO, which I`m surprised I`m even saying. It`s not ugly, and if Lego were to release something similar I`d be buying it at the price-point. Sad to see. 

If you're in China, you can get it for $9.34. (cheapest I found was 58 RMB shipped).

• 3 weeks later...

Any idea why LEGO Shop at Home has this set for limit 1?  It's selling like hotcakes right so probably making more and sort of low on stock?

It's Lego's simplistic way of limiting this to one per account, but there are ways around this limit. Buying them in the brick and mortar stores is one way.

It finally seems that after months of the Tumbler being available at non-Lego brick and mortar stores, that the price has finally dropped to around $200. I understand that I am not including tax, but people were paying $250 for the Tumbler on eBay when they could have easily purchased it elsewhere. Can someone enlighten me as to why consumers would pay more through eBay, and why the price is dropping to the $200 range now?  

Never underestimate the laziness of consumers. Convenience.

Interesting. I would have considered buying from Target per se more convenient considering you know that Target will deliver unlike dubious sellers one might encounter on eBay. Spending the extra minute or two ordering from Target online to get the "for sure thing" at a more affordable price seems to make more sense to me anyway. Also those people with "lots of money," aren't they the ones who always get all their cool stuff directly from retail opposed from other intermediaries.   

I was just curious to see what segment of the market was actually keen on buying overpriced sets on eBay. I'm sure sellers were buying Tumblers in bulk and selling for small profit margins a few months ago. It would be an interesting article to read to see who actually buys overpriced sets and how long does that trend last for. It probably wouldn't be very easy to collect that type of data though.   

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Tumbler has turned up at Asda in the UK, standard retail price, limit 6. (Still 1 at Lego EU) Reasonable possibly of discounts of this now, for the UK at least, as Asda isn’t shy about shifting product.   Period of exclusivity on this is possibly over.  

tum.png

• Like 4

That is good as well as bad news indeed. Now nothing stops one to stockpile this marvelous set and reach the quota. Maybe even at a decent discount. 

Unfortunately now everyone can buy these. And exposure will grow.

Let us just hope for a short life like AA.

That is good as well as bad news indeed. Now nothing stops one to stockpile this marvelous set and reach the quota. Maybe even at a decent discount. 

Unfortunately now everyone can buy these. And exposure will grow.

Let us just hope for a short life like AA.

TLG sales policy makes sense to me:

1. extremely popular set at launch: TLG limits to 1 per family as long as demand is high. That way all customers get one and nobody has to wait too long

2. sales are slowing down: over 1 year since release, Summer season slow. Open sales in larger volumes to re-sellers who will build their stock. 

Retirement is unpredictable. Could be a DS-bis if it remains this popular. I have no clue, but as there aren't many UCS batman sets on the shelves, I wouldn't bet on "early" retirement. 

• 1 month later...

Tumbler has turned up at Asda in the UK, standard retail price, limit 6. (Still 1 at Lego EU) Reasonable possibly of discounts of this now, for the UK at least, as Asda isn’t shy about shifting product.   Period of exclusivity on this is possibly over.  

Is it me or was that really short lived?  I cant find it anywhere at Asda.  Not even a note saying out of stock.

Invest in those tires before the set goes EOL. Save them for a while, and then sell them. People who want to Bricklink the set will pay good money for those tires.

Are you joking me!!!! I just looked into doing this (ok 1 year too late).  In the UK and the cheapest I can get a set of tires for now would be £50.  The mini-figures would get you £30 between them if you listed on the one week everyone went on hol.... thats 50% of the brand new price.  Ridic....  I know this is boarderline sacrilege but can anyone comment on the part out value of the rest of the build?

I don't have one (trying to decide between 76023 and 7784 atm) but even if this one ends up being the new DS and never retires sounds like you can still cash out early on a part-out.

Wondering if I could take those tires, sell the rest and build myself a "tan version".  The blacks cool but a desert camo UCS version would look pretty good i think.

so what do you all think?

"On that note I have it on good authority that the Tumbler is one of the sets due to be end of line in brand stores by the end of the year.
      So  if you are planning on getting one make sure you get it soon. You have been warned!"

http://www.brickpicker.com/news/view.cfm/did-you-win-a-lego-bat-pod
                   Posted on 09:14, 07/08/2015 by Richard (thebrickblogger.com)

"On that note I have it on good authority that the Tumbler is one of the sets due to be end of line in brand stores by the end of the year.
      So  if you are planning on getting one make sure you get it soon. You have been warned!"

Well, isn't there a new Batmobile in the new movie that would make the Tumbler outdated? Just sayin.....

Seems crazy but if there's a set that is most plausible to retire that early, Tumbler is it.