40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)

TheOrcKing

9 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

Just out of interest, what are the free shipping minimums in other countries? What's Spains mate?

I found this on the LEGO Shop at Home site with a little searching:

Minimum spend for free shipping

Country Currency Code Threshold
Austria EUR 55 EUR
Belgium EUR 55 EUR
Czech Republic CZK 1400 CZK
Denmark DKK 400 DKK
Finland EUR 55 EUR
France EUR 55 EUR
Germany EUR 55 EUR
Hungary HUF 17000 HUF
Ireland EUR 55 EUR
Italy EUR 55 EUR
Luxemburg EUR 55 EUR
Netherlands EUR 55 EUR
Norway NOK 500 NOK
Poland PLN 200 PLN
Portugal EUR 55 EUR
Spain EUR 55 EUR
Sweden SEK 600 SEK
Switzerland CHF 100 CHF
UK GBP 50 GBP

So basically everything is free shipped when you factor in Dutch RRP´s!

2 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

That's about $78 au.  We have to get to $200au to get free shipping which is a 3 week I forgot what I bloody bought wait. You can request 1 week express but that will be another $100au thanks.

I think they are trying to tell you something.

Maybe when the China factory is up and running 100%, they´ll use that as your logistics centre and reduce prices.

34 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Especially when you factor in SAH shipping! Nice to do all the leg work for the buyer, though.

So basically everything is free shipped when you factor in Dutch RRP´s!

SAH shipping to add??? 2x 40158 at this discounted price = €59,98 = free shipping. :P 

At €30 a piece the 40158 is certainly not a turd in my book. :) 

Guest TabbyBoy

Don't waste your money on this crap, it's so unplayable that it should never have been sold as a chess set. It's nothing more than a collection of so-so minfigs and don't expect it to appreciate in value much if at all. Remember Kingdoms Chess? That hasn't done great has it?

On the other hand, the new 40174 will do very well as it's a set that you can actually play chess with without trying to figure out which piece is which.

I want chess pieces not stupid anonymous minifigs!

Agreed that this might not be a killer set for resale. But, it's a goldmine if you have the patience to part it out. I recently sold 20 Bluecoats for 49USD shipped on eBay. The plates sell for a good price if you are patient. I've seen people sell the trees. The black and white tiles can fetch 20USD shipped, when sold as a Do It Yourself LEGO Chess Board.

Will be great MOCed/expanded.  Build up one side of the board as a ship...the other as a fort and improve a couple of the pieces...

Skull thrones for pirate king and queen.

Expanded crows nest with parrot for pirate rooks.

Pirate Monkeys in/with barrels for the Knights.

Cannons for the Bishops. 

Would look great displayed. 

Edited by scuttfarkas
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have a copy of this readily built, who might be able to do the favor of weighing it with all minifigs? Annnnd maybe the instruction manual separately?

Ideally in metric 'cause I'm Canadian... eh? 

Looking to accurately simulate some shipping costs without cutting box seals.... Please and Thanks to any takers! 

18 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

The built set with extra pieces and dust is 968 grams. That does not include weight of bags. I should have the box and instructions but can't look for them until tomorrow. 

total weight is 1403g :) so you can guess-estimate for 1kg = parts and 0.5kg for box & instruction :P

instruction is said to be 162gms

Edited by newbie77

• 4 months later...
16 minutes ago, keverjeroen said:

Yeah, I can see how a chess board looks like when I google it, but what I don't understand is that the latest version of of the set sold by LEGO (according to the LEGO.com website) has white left under..

Would be very much like TLG to never update the picture on LEGO Shop at Home ......

• 2 years later...
32 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

I'm trying to off load some old sets. Anyone know why this was such a dud? Hasn't even doubled MSRP in almost 4 years.

For one: it is unplayable because you cannot recognize the pieces as rooks, bishops, knights etc.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Alpinemaps changed the title to 40158 - Pirates Chess Set (2015)