What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Finally finished Jurgen's Ultimate 42009. Took me a few weeks of working on it in the evenings. Weighs a bloody tonne but impressive how he managed to cram ALL the powered functions in a package so similar to the stock set. For comparison, stock 42009 Crane Mk II on the right, on the left the Ultimate 42009 (with its remote controller).

th_P1040159_zpsfljbv6lx.jpg

th_P1040160_zps114d95kt.jpg

For those unfamiliar with the Ultimate 42009, here is what he has added (from his site):

All the essential functions of the crane were motorized, which are:

• Driving (1x XL-motor)
  • Steering (1x M-motor)
  • Outriggers (1x M-motor)
  • Outrigger-legs (1x M-motor)
  • Lifting/lowering boom (1x L-motor)
  • Extending/retracting boom (1x L-motor)
  • Lifting/lowering hook (1x M-motor)
  • Upperstructure 360+ degree rotation (1x M-motor)

Functions that were improved:

• Boom extends further. Max boom-length 96 studs
  • Boom retracts further
  • Better steering-lock
  • Solid metal hook
  • Increased lifting power
  • Faster outriggers
  • More efficient drivetrains
  • Like 2

21115 The First Night. Well if there ever was a signature 'end all' set for the Minecraft theme, this would be the one. You don't even have to be a fan of the game to appreciate all the fun details here although it wouldn't hurt. Haha. There is just so much for a hut fitting in a 16x16 area having all the comforts of home (for Steve that is). You get a bed, crafting table, chest, furnace, flower pot, item frame, nightstand, a couple torches, and some wood planks acting as tables I guess. One of my favorite things here parts-wise is the high volume (34) of those trans-clear 1x2 bricks. (Those seem rare to me well as every other more 'regular' brick in some translucent color.)

For tools you get the most for little Steve with an axe, pickaxe, and sword. All bottom tier wood though but good to collect in one go. The pig is spot-on as is the Creeper. Speaking of which, the Creeper's main body part is interesting. On one hand it is too bad the feet cannot move but I can see why LEGO designed it that way.

Back to the house, this one felt like the most complete build from the Minecraft theme overall (I have built thus far). Not only does it seem to be taken straight from out of the game world, I could also see this house in a village next to other LEGO creations without seeming too out of place. I would probably remove the oak tree growing on the roof though. I heard of 'going green' but that is bit ridiculous. Ha. Of course it is Minecraft (and LEGO) after all so if you want to grow a tree on your roof then why not.

Altogether I thoroughly loved this build and could do it again a bunch of times over. Actually I could see purchasing a lot of this one. In multiples it has everything there to create your own village if you so desired or perhaps give Steve that massive mansion he has always wanted. Like the Crafting Box, it simply gives so many options to play around with besides the hut. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this set.

Now I can make some comments about how funny it is that the set is called "The First Night" yet on any of my 'first nights' I never had a house nice as this. Ha. A bed? Well that requires wool so where's the sheep? The item frame holding up that wooden pickaxe on the back wall? That needs a bunch of sticks and a piece of leather so where's the cow? Oh right, they're on The Farm. Seriously though this the perfect Minecraft set made even better when adding in The Farm that slides neatly in a spot on the right side of the home. The Cave can also fit somewhat to the left although not completely but enough to make the scene fuller (and awesomer).

To finish on a high note, I loved this set and you should too. :)

One last item to mention, the instruction manual when I opened the box was very thick! I mean I have built the Haunted House, Helm’s Deep, and other large scale sets but it still surprised me to see such a plus-sized booklet drop out like that. I think the fullness was attributed to a few good extra pages dedicated to a couple alternate ideas such as changing the pig pen into some other thing stuck to the house (I have no idea what it is supposed to be other than maybe something to reach the top of the roof I guess) and then taking the furniture apart to turn those pieces into a side table with sofa.

Tonight, while my fiancee was watching Pitch Perfect 2, I reassembled my 10210 Imperial Flagship (gorgeous) and finally built my 6256 Catamaran and 6278 Enchanted Island that I picked up last year.  There is also a 6266 Cannon Cove that I picked up last week but the pirates are missing but the extra Imperial soldiers are better anyhow.  My only complaint is that I will have to take these apart in the fall to make room for other builds (finding a home is a separate issue).

I am positive that the Islanders land is to scale, compared to the pirate ships, because the Black Pearl and the Imperial Flagship are probably from the Marvel universe where they are needlessly loud and large.

Pirates.jpg

6256 and 6278.jpg

• Like 6

I am positive that the Islanders land is to scale, compared to the pirate ships, because the Black Pearl and the Imperial Flagship are probably from the Marvel universe where they are needlessly loud and large.

Ah, Islanders.​ The first tribe to give female minifigures boobies.

pi066.jpg

Built 5887 Dino HQ Defense with my son last week.  It's really nice set despite and will compliment the new Jurassic World sets despite both themes having different 'primary’ colors.   The HQ sections are modularity so they can be put in random order to create a large play area.

We also bought and built Tower Takedown 5883.  I like how the tower can attach to the HQ.

as expected, the Dinos are cool and share the molds as Jurassic World.

31026 Bike Shop & Cafe..

Well, just cafe so far. These 3-in-1's are more difficult and less fun to build than the modulars. Lots of searching for the right random pieces and not much wall to put up (feels satisfying to organize 30 of something and put it all up, not in this set). Still, it's pretty cute though, has some interesting techniques and I think it'll go well with Perisian Restaurant.

2015-05-16 18.07.59.jpg

2015-05-16 18.08.27.jpg

5958 Mummy's Tomb

Super awesome classic build. It feels more authentic than the new styles (cartoony?). I can't believe they don't just remake these or extend them, I'd buy em in a heartbeat. 

​I know what you mean! I bought this set in a bulk lot along with some other older sets and building them was awesome. I loved this set and I'm still contemplating on whether or not I should sell it in the near future.

• Like 1

​I know what you mean! I bought this set in a bulk lot along with some other older sets and building them was awesome. I loved this set and I'm still contemplating on whether or not I should sell it in the near future.

​No way am I sellin' mine! I'm gonna put a sand top on it and replace some of those blue/yellow circular pieces so it looks even better. Do it too and lets compare! ;)

Built the Slave I, the final product is awesome, not so much the building process. Also excepted the model to be sturdier that what it is , def not a "play-set".

Major drawback for me was the cockpit .. Too it didn't automatically adjust to flying/landing modes. 

Edited by Bold-Arrow
  • Like 1

Built 8099 Midi Scale Imperial Star Destroyer.

I enjoyed the build.  Obviously, it go repetitive.  But, honestly, it was a fun little build that kept me guessing at first.  I like the way it is constructed.  And it's not nearly as big as I thought it was going to be.

This piece is going to be hung up from the ceiling in my son's room.  He's going to have quite the Lego Star Wars fleet going up there soon.. 

Yesterday I built the 21004 Solomon Guggenheim Museum that I picked up for $25us.  It's a very pretty build but it suffers the same fate as sets like Rockefeller Center, Sydney Opera House, and Brandenburg Gate and that is that the smaller horizontal builds LOOK small.  Sungnyemun only suffers from this a little but Sydney Opera House is just ugly to look at. 

I really liked the method to "weight" the large radar dishes.

21004_Solomon_Guggenheim_Museum.thumb.jp

Today, I built the 21020 Trevi Fountain.  What I said above for horizontal builds doesn't apply to larger ones as 'Trevi' is beautiful!  It reminded me of when I visited Rome and it was a LOT of fun to build, even the usually tedious parts, and you see it nicely build itself up starting with the fountain.  The techniques used for the columns and facade are pretty clever and look brilliant.  My only quibble is that I don't really like the rocks as they look clumsy and the sculptures are too large but it is my personal favourite of the architecture line to date.  It just looks sharp.

21020_Trevi_Fountain.thumb.jpg.57f53d5ff

• Like 4

So, built this one last night.

Box was in good condition considering the age, if a bit musty. Instructions were also in  good. In the box also had two Expert Builder (Technic) posters/catalogues (in perfect shape), missing piece/feedback card and a 1982 (I think) Lego catalogue, also in great shape.

The model itself? The pieces look almost new. The minifigs are immaculate- no "Bennied" broken helmet straps, no faded Classic Space logos. Baseplate is also immaculate. However, missing one white minifig and 4-5 other pieces, even though it was advertised as complete. But, it is a beauty. I'll have to take a comparison photo with Benny's Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP to show both the scale and just how bloody good an hommage the latter set is to these lovely old sets.

th_20150519_083925_zpse8d9m03o.jpg

th_P1040167_zps7ixapusn.jpg

Edited by steliosk
  • Like 4

I know the B-Wing (UCS and otherwise) receives a good amount of hate, but I built 75050 today and it was pretty fun.
It's a weird ship, so the techniques were less repetitive than a TIE or X-wing.

I won't be investing in it, but I'm glad to add it to the collection. The minifigs are top-notch, too. Grey Leader's helmet is very detailed.

Investment: meh

Build and uniqueness: A+

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

today I came home to find a cat had messed up the sydney opera house a little. only took a few min but cat is still on time out.

Last weekend we built slave1 the grand ferris wheel and most of the ucs tie. I built the FW, while impressed overall I 'm not one for directions, so I won't be rebuilding this one. Gf built the rest and really enjoyed the slave1. hoping to finish off the tie and rebuild the fairgound mixer and ucs xwing. this long weekend could not have come sooner, need to have some play time.