What LEGO set did you build today?

Ed Mack

Finally built the Mini Modulars that I've been Bricklinking over the last two months.

I *love* the build.  It was fantastic.  The imagination and engineering that went into it, to replicate the full-sized modulars at micro scale is amazing.  Bricklinking, though...ugh!  It's not for the faint of heart.  I should have just bought it (even with eBay prices now), and built it from there.

• Like 2

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Finally built the Mini Modulars that I've been Bricklinking over the last two months.

I *love* the build.  It was fantastic.  The imagination and engineering that went into it, to replicate the full-sized modulars at micro scale is amazing.  Bricklinking, though...ugh!  It's not for the faint of heart.  I should have just bought it (even with eBay prices now), and built it from there.

have you thought of BLing a mini HH

Finished building 75019 AT-TE last night.  Funny how a Lego set can help you appreciate a film more.  I still stand by my opinion that the Star Wars PT are bad movies, and that fact caused me to dismiss the different ships and vehicles in them.  I put on AOTC while building this thing and they did have some pretty neat vehicle designs in the movie.

• Like 1

Bought a bulk lot of Lego's from a kid on CL.  It included a bunch of Super Hero and Star wars manuals.  To my surprise, as I was digging through the bags and pulling out minifigures found several Harry Potter minifigs.  So far I put together a complete Hogwarts Express 4841, a almost complete Hagrid's Hut 4738, and just started working on The Burrows 4840.  All the minifigs are the with exception of Hagrid.  And I also Finished At AT walker 4483 that I got in a trade a while back.  It was a busy weekend!

Guest brickcrazyhouse

dats the one. I started but work suuuuuucked so it will take a day or so to replicate

bout 20% done and need to drink will post link to ldd file when done

I bricklinked a set once.  I learned two things:

1) It's not that much cheaper than buying the complete set on the aftermarket (for retired sets).  It can actually be more expensive if you're not careful.

2) It's a pain in the a$$.

However, it does feel like an accomplishment when you finally finish it.  I recommend everyone do it once for the experience.

• Like 1

Guest davewager78

You want a pain in the a$$? I'm brick linking a Taj Mahal. Probably 2/3 of the way there now, so only 2000 more parts to go. Why?! Because I want to build the biggest set there's been. Reading some of the posts above, not looking forward to building this from downloaded instructions so much now! Aiming to have all the bits to hand for June, then let battle commence!

Currently building the pet shop side of the...erm... pet shop. Second hand set, so missing a couple of pieces, but enjoying the build - first modular. Palace cinema to build after this

Off to try building some stuff from the Build Your Own City and Build Your Own Vehicles books, both of which look quite cool

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I bricklinked a set once.  I learned two things:

1) It's not that much cheaper than buying the complete set on the aftermarket (for retired sets).  It can actually be more expensive if you're not careful.

2) It's a pain in the a$$.

However, it does feel like an accomplishment when you finally finish it.  I recommend everyone do it once for the experience.

Yes, and Yes.

That hasn't stopped me from trying to put together a few more sets this way.  I've got the Grand Carousel, Zombies, and Winter Toy Shop that I'm doing this way as well.  They're a bit easier to put together than Mini Modulars, but it's definitely a pain in the ass.

I have around 75 lbs of bulk LEGO here that I'm in the process of sorting.  So, it's been fun to separate, and then use the BL inventories to search for what I need.  Once you factor in time spent looking for parts, though, it's definitely a money saver to just buy the original set.

All the above I want to keep, so I have a little more incentive to just BL it.  But for stuff that I want just build and then get rid of (no room for it, no longer term desire to keep it, etc) I think it's worth it to just buy it and sell it later.  For example, I'd love to build one of the retired modulars, so I will probably just buy it (even if it's in the $500 range), build it, and then sell it off.  Even if I were to lose $40 on something like that, I would have gotten $40 worth of enjoyment out of it.

• Like 1

All the above I want to keep, so I have a little more incentive to just BL it.  But for stuff that I want just build and then get rid of (no room for it, no longer term desire to keep it, etc) I think it's worth it to just buy it and sell it later.  For example, I'd love to build one of the retired modulars, so I will probably just buy it (even if it's in the $500 range), build it, and then sell it off.  Even if I were to lose $40 on something like that, I would have gotten $40 worth of enjoyment out of it.

I was thinking about doing this with the UCS Millennium Falcon, build it for the experience of it, display it for a bit, and then sell.  However, with the rumors of a new UCS Falcon going around I'm a little bit hesitant.

Yes, and Yes.

That hasn't stopped me from trying to put together a few more sets this way.  I've got the Grand Carousel, Zombies, and Winter Toy Shop that I'm doing this way as well.  They're a bit easier to put together than Mini Modulars, but it's definitely a pain in the ass.

I have around 75 lbs of bulk LEGO here that I'm in the process of sorting.  So, it's been fun to separate, and then use the BL inventories to search for what I need.  Once you factor in time spent looking for parts, though, it's definitely a money saver to just buy the original set.

Have you completed the Grand Carousel project yet?  Just curious if you also got the sound brick and the 8 white canopies from Bricklink.   They are expensive the last time I checked, how much did you pay?

You want a pain in the a$$? I'm brick linking a Taj Mahal. Probably 2/3 of the way there now, so only 2000 more parts to go. Why?! Because I want to build the biggest set there's been. Reading some of the posts above, not looking forward to building this from downloaded instructions so much now! Aiming to have all the bits to hand for June, then let battle commence!

Currently building the pet shop side of the...erm... pet shop. Second hand set, so missing a couple of pieces, but enjoying the build - first modular. Palace cinema to build after this

Off to try building some stuff from the Build Your Own City and Build Your Own Vehicles books, both of which look quite cool

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I'm starting this process right now as well.  Using all new parts, which may be a challenge on some rares, so I may have to fudge on them, but that's my goal.  Made a large order through LEGO Shop at Home for parts that were expensive on Bricklink but were still available like the yellow technic 5x5 ells.  They had all the turntables as well.

I'll make a thread for this when it gets time to start.

I was thinking about doing this with the UCS Millennium Falcon, build it for the experience of it, display it for a bit, and then sell.  However, with the rumors of a new UCS Falcon going around I'm a little bit hesitant.

I'm not even sure this method is even financially worth it anymore without modifications.  The rare parts have become astronomical in price and you will end up spending every dime that you could on a used set.  I did it for $900 two years ago, that included every piece except for some from my inventory, stickers, instructions, you name it.  No way could that be done anymore.

Have you completed the Grand Carousel project yet? Just curious if you also got the sound brick and the 8 white canopies from Bricklink. They are expensive the last time I checked, how much did you pay?

I've just started gathering pieces from the bulk sets I have. So no "real" cost yet (other than my time to sort).

I haven't thought about the sound brick yet - I probably won't do that if it's too expensive. As for the canopies...they are generally $50 each, so I think it about $500 for those. Way to rich for my blood. Others have done paper canopies, and honestly, those look good. You could also cut material similar to the stuff LEGO uses for minfigure capes. I might do that. I'm considering MOC'ing that part, and making the canopies out of bricks, similar to the way the Millenium Falcon's roof opens up. I haven't sorted that part out yet.

I'll dig up the thread I started on Eurobricks because a few people chimed in with some good ideas.

Finished Temple of Doom earlier in the week - sweet set that needs a decent amount of shelf real estate to display.

In the middle of R2D2 - what a great build. IMO, every Lego SW collector needs to own this set. My only complaint is that it's a bit pricey for the final size of the model.

• Like 2

In the middle of R2D2 - what a great build. IMO, every Lego SW collector needs to own this set. My only complaint is that it's a bit pricey for the final size of the model.

I agree. I initially thought that the set would be bigger. I think that price should have been $150 to $170. $180 is a bit to much.

We built the croc swamp hideout and all of the legend beasts. Those legend beasts are really cool... Parents and kids in our house like them.

Except I tossed a pillow down the basement stairs without looking and hit the gorilla beast in my sons hand that I'd been bugging him to finish. Suffice to say I rebuilt it for him. Oops.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker