Find of the day in Canada

gravtation

Looks like the 3 R2's from TRU shipped! :party:

On the topic of this TRU coupon... looks like the 26 PC's they had when i check a couple days ago went poof. Wonder if someone grabbed a ton of them with this discount.

​Wow, congrats on the R2 shipping notice.  Keep them in a safe place :) :money: 

• Like 1

Winter Village in stock at TRU.ca! CineplexFeb does work on it, and still qualifies for free shipping, 3 left as of posting this.

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=jfOcdvfTNg4&subid=&offerid=283358.1&type=10&tmpid=10699&RD_PARM1=http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=21934606

Hmm, this link just goes to the homepage.. Maybe i just don't know what i'm doing with the affiliate link ><

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?prodFindSrc=cart&productId=21934606

Edited by Sandwraithx157
  • Like 1

Picked up some sets from my dealer, not sure I should be bothering with these older sets and instead focus on things like these PS/PC's popping up (or even just ToO R5 etc). Thoughts? Greg?

1x Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle - 79.99
1x Arctic Batman Vs. Mr. Freeze 24.99
1x Rebel Trooper Battle Pack 14.99
1x 
Arc-170 Starfighter 79.99
1x Construct-a-buzz 34.99

​She hassles you about opening a Pet Shop but not about the sleeping bag on the floor? ;)

Open it, you won't regret it!

Alright alright haha I think I'll surprise her with it soon :)

Picked up some sets from my dealer, not sure I should be bothering with these older sets and instead focus on things like these PS/PC's popping up (or even just ToO R5 etc). Thoughts? Greg?

1x Emperor Palpatine's Shuttle - 79.99
1x Arctic Batman Vs. Mr. Freeze 24.99
1x Rebel Trooper Battle Pack 14.99
1x 
Arc-170 Starfighter 79.99
1x Construct-a-buzz 34.99

​Everyone plays the game a bit differently, but most of those do look to be retail price, and aside from Arctic Batman; i'm not too sure there's all that money to be made on these after fees and such.

I personally only dabble in the smaller stuff if the discount is really good, or the set is retired and skyrocketing (Wolvies Chopper on playvalue for weeks after being sold out anyone?!). Too much smaller stuff can be a lot of work to sell depeneding on your lifestyle, but again everyone is different. In my opinion though; a lot of that could have been left and that money used better elsewhere (like the sets you mention).

Chances are if the older sets have not appreciated, there's likely a good reason for it and they likely won't see much (if any) growth, but i could be wrong of course, anything could happen!

• Like 1

​Everyone plays the game a bit differently, but most of those do look to be retail price, and aside from Arctic Batman; i'm not too sure there's all that money to be made on these after fees and such.

I personally only dabble in the smaller stuff if the discount is really good, or the set is retired and skyrocketing (Wolvies Chopper on playvalue for weeks after being sold out anyone?!). Too much smaller stuff can be a lot of work to sell depeneding on your lifestyle, but again everyone is different. In my opinion though; a lot of that could have been left and that money used better elsewhere (like the sets you mention).

Chances are if the older sets have not appreciated, there's likely a good reason for it and they likely won't see much (if any) growth, but i could be wrong of course, anything could happen!

​What you're saying is making a lot of sense Sandwraith. Ho jeebus 6866 wolverine chopper is insane. See ya that's what I should be saving my energy for. The thing with the sets above is they're all about 20-40% cheaper than eBay/Amazon.com and that's got me confused. At what point does a set % cheaper than eBay but already retired and not skyrocketing, become a buy? Hmmm, I guess if I were to QFLL them it makes more sense than holding them, but maybe that's not worth the effort, and not nearly as fun as guessing which sets are going to take off. He's got a lot more.. not sure what I'm gonna do. Probably get more of the meat and bread sets per your advice first of all and think about this later.

​What you're saying is making a lot of sense Sandwraith. Ho jeebus 6866 wolverine chopper is insane. See ya that's what I should be saving my energy for. The thing with the sets above is they're all about 20-40% cheaper than eBay/Amazon.com and that's got me confused. At what point does a set % cheaper than eBay but already retired and not skyrocketing, become a buy? Hmmm, I guess if I were to QFLL them it makes more sense than holding them, but maybe that's not worth the effort, and not nearly as fun as guessing which sets are going to take off. He's got a lot more.. not sure what I'm gonna do. Probably get more of the meat and bread sets per your advice first of all and think about this later.

​Some sets absolutely make more sense to QFLL ... so you have to ask yourself, is it worth it to QFLL a set for $5 or $10? Personally, I do a little bit of QFLL'ing but not too much as I just simply don't have the time or energy. Many people do though have a good reason to do it. Doing some quick flips can quickly build seller feedback on eBay... it can make you a few bucks here and there to reinvest... it can help get your feet wet with selling... it can bring more attention to your listings on eBay, etc.

Personally I wouldn't touch any of those sets you mentioned at MSRP. It takes too long (for my time frame) to realize gains that make it worthwhile.... But if you're looking at 4-5 year investments some could be OK. You have to consider the usual:

1. How popular did the set seem at retail?
  2. How exclusive and desirable are the minifigs?  <--- big point right there
  3. What kind of discounts might these sets have seen?  <---- i.e. Arctic Batman could be had for a LOT less than $24.99.
  4. Are they TRU exclusives that are going to sit on retail shelves for a year longer than everywhere else (think Mine 4204)?

My strategy is mostly big stuff but I dabble in the smaller sets I am guessing will do well. A few polybags here and there too.... Some minifigs by the case... all provides some variety and yeah, a little fun in trying to pick a winner.

PS .. The expression is "bread and butter" OR "meat and potatoes." ;)

• Like 1

​Some sets absolutely make more sense to QFLL ... so you have to ask yourself, is it worth it to QFLL a set for $5 or $10? Personally, I do a little bit of QFLL'ing but not too much as I just simply don't have the time or energy. Many people do though have a good reason to do it. Doing some quick flips can quickly build seller feedback on eBay... it can make you a few bucks here and there to reinvest... it can help get your feet wet with selling... it can bring more attention to your listings on eBay, etc.

Personally I wouldn't touch any of those sets you mentioned at MSRP. It takes too long (for my time frame) to realize gains that make it worthwhile.... But if you're looking at 4-5 year investments some could be OK. You have to consider the usual:

1. How popular did the set seem at retail?
  2. How exclusive and desirable are the minifigs?  <--- big point right there
  3. What kind of discounts might these sets have seen?  <---- i.e. Arctic Batman could be had for a LOT less than $24.99.
  4. Are they TRU exclusives that are going to sit on retail shelves for a year longer than everywhere else (think Mine 4204)?

My strategy is mostly big stuff but I dabble in the smaller sets I am guessing will do well. A few polybags here and there too.... Some minifigs by the case... all provides some variety and yeah, a little fun in trying to pick a winner.

PS .. The expression is "bread and butter" OR "meat and potatoes." ;)

​Super helpful response Greg, thanks. I'm going to read over this a few times and assess my portfolio.

PS I prefer Meat & Bread, lol.

• Like 1

Time preference is key.  Mine is quite low, so I can sit on sets forever if I want....  But I sure do understand the compound effect the quick flippers get from rolling small profits over and over again in a single year time frame.  Its clever and I can respect it, but its also a lot of work too, more than sitting on a couple shelves of fine Lego sets and just letting it age...

I'm thinking the real, real smart dudes are those that do both.  Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.  Hold sets that show relentless after retirement price appreciation and fold on the turds that just can't get it up.  I got a good mix of both, the turds are going to get firesaled here real quick, helping me build up good feedback in time for the xmas season where I just might start getting rid of some of the higher end stuff that can't get much higher. 

• Like 1