10247 - Ferris Wheel

mattyman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anybody notice the new bags Lego are using. They now have a white banding over the bags with a QR code and a reference that kinda resembles the seals on the box but with an extra digit. Just an FYI really. Interesting they are starting to change the bags. 

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this belongs in the What I heard from a Lego Employee Today thread, but I was at the Lego store this past weekend and I asked about this set since I didn't see it on the shelves or on display. He said that they sell out each time they got them in and they hadn't received any shipments lately. Manager told him to take the display down because of that. I haven't seen this set in person yet and was hoping to do so on Sunday. 

Did anybody notice the new bags Lego are using. They now have a white banding over the bags with a QR code and a reference that kinda resembles the seals on the box but with an extra digit. Just an FYI really. Interesting they are starting to change the bags. 

I'm building this set now and not seeing the band you are referring to.  Can you post a pic to show this? 

Maybe this belongs in the What I heard from a Lego Employee Today thread, but I was at the Lego store this past weekend and I asked about this set since I didn't see it on the shelves or on display. He said that they sell out each time they got them in and they hadn't received any shipments lately. Manager told him to take the display down because of that. I haven't seen this set in person yet and was hoping to do so on Sunday. 

Historically Lego doesn't like to have enough of the NR's & Europe has almost a couple thousand so I wouldn't read too much into it...

The same exact thing happened with the Tumbler when it came out.  I got lucky to get it the day it was released, but they had to take the display down for a few months because my local Lego store would only get a handful of them in on any given week and would sell out almost immediately.  It was a general production shortage, and obviously has been sorted out.  Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about it.  It's still such a new set, that it will be in production for a while.  You'll just have to keep your eye out for it.

• Like 1

The same exact thing happened with the Tumbler when it came out.  I got lucky to get it the day it was released, but they had to take the display down for a few months because my local Lego store would only get a handful of them in on any given week and would sell out almost immediately.  It was a general production shortage, and obviously has been sorted out.  Like others have said, I wouldn't worry about it.  It's still such a new set, that it will be in production for a while.  You'll just have to keep your eye out for it.

I definitely agree. I'm in no rush to get this set but it would've been nice to see it in person as I've read how it just hits you when you see it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like this model but with the suggested motor it spins too fast.  Any way to gear it down to a more scale speed?

You'd have to change out one of the two gears to alter the ratio but essentially you have to put a bigger one crank handle because the small one on the motor axle is the smallest they make. It'll take some extra parts though .. there isn't enough room between the axles and the lever to move it over as it stands. You'll probably have to mount it above.

• Like 1

Thank you Greg.  I figured it would take some gear swaps if they didn't make a lower speed motor.  Maybe one day in the future they will make one slower.  I would like to slow up the mixer as well.  Maybe someday I'll get the time to make something that will work.

If you use an IR Sensor with the Speed Remote then you can get a slower speed.  I did this on the mixer.

• Like 2

If you use an IR Sensor with the Speed Remote then you can get a slower speed.  I did this on the mixer.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. You know, that might work fairly well with both since there is an orange and blue channel on the remotes (and channels)! You could control up to 8 rides from the same remote.

The EV3 motors are also speed sensitive and programmable... could probably make an EV3 program to control the ride. Program it to load/unload people and rotate for a while. Hmmm... looks like I finally have an easy project to start with!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but...For those conspiracy theorist out there...my Ferris Wheel arrived with a new box design. Even though it has only been out since June, it has the new Creator Expert logo (with the headlight bricks and not 2x2 bricks with the "star" design). Guess it is in Lego's plan to redesign every box, newer and older. Everybody panic!

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but...For those conspiracy theorist out there...my Ferris Wheel arrived with a new box design. Even though it has only been out since June, it has the new Creator Expert logo (with the headlight bricks and not 2x2 bricks with the "star" design). Guess it is in Lego's plan to redesign every box, newer and older. Everybody panic!

I don't think it's a conspiracy.  There were a few articles across multiple sites earlier this year that lego was working on becoming greener.  Part of that included packaging, which would allow them to compact more boxes into an area so they could maximize efficiency with their shipping containers.  When you really think about it, there is a lot of extra space in a lot of the older lego boxes.  Almost to the point, where they could probably ship 10 more units on a palette if they maximized the box sizes..  To me this is just a sign that lego is getting smarter and more efficient.

• Like 2