10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Hey you don't have to try to convince me gregpj, I was among the first to call him out on April Fooling on "Disney Bricks", but he was adamant. And as I said, it's Just2good, so you can put your money on it (knowing that his "source" is most probably his boss ;) ). I argued long and wide why this doesn't make absolutely no sense to me from commercial, pricing, branding and all other perspectives but it all falls down to whether you trust j2g with his funny videos and I must say that, yes, sadly I do, I'm an old hand on that forum and he's never been fooling around before.

​So just to confirm, is Just2good the only one who claims a Death Star remake is coming?

Edited by BrickLegacy
Replaced "reported" with "claims"

Believe what you want. I, for one, also trust Just2Good. His reports have been dead on accurate up to now. Plus there were a lot of hints at Celebration. No one can make you believe the sky is blue. You'll just have to wait and see for yourself. 

• Like 1

Hey you don't have to try to convince me gregpj, I was among the first to call him out on April Fooling on "Disney Bricks", but he was adamant. And as I said, it's Just2good, so you can put your money on it (knowing that his "source" is most probably his boss ;) ). I argued long and wide why this doesn't make absolutely no sense to me from commercial, pricing, branding and all other perspectives but it all falls down to whether you trust j2g with his funny videos and I must say that, yes, sadly I do, I'm an old hand on that forum and he's never been fooling around before.

​I hear ya and appreciate your response... All I'm saying is that until I see an "official-like" statement about a remake I am very hesitant to believe it. Lego is full up on sets right now.... a new DS "playset" is just a dumb idea.

• Like 1

Well, to be perfectly honest, I do see a single possibility for the rumor to make sense: a new all-round flagship. A new Millennium Falcon or Taj Mahal if you wish. Something you are going to base your brand image on (read 1:1 X-Wing on Times Square) and be able to put a 500 price mark (they are, after all, the most powerful toy brand in the world, they can afford the luxury of it, even if it sells not that great...). Figs with all new printings, detachable (or not) shell with full interiors from different movies (imagine the lowest level actually action-packed instead of the storage space it is now).

Such a set might appear unlikely, risky, I am all up for skepticism. But if it DOES happen, you guys do realize that you'll be selling your DSs as bulks of Light Bluish Greys, don't you?

I'm new at this, and this opinion may not be popular with investors, but I believe that in Lego Star Wars there are certain sets that they should always have, and just do occasional updates. Things like the DS, Falcon, X-Wing, and Tie-Fighter. I believe in the City line they have always had things like a police station or fire station. I could be wrong, though. 

Believe what you want. I, for one, also trust Just2Good. His reports have been dead on accurate up to now. Plus there were a lot of hints at Celebration. No one can make you believe the sky is blue. You'll just have to wait and see for yourself. 

Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard of this Just2Good. What are these accurate predictions you talk of?

I'm new at this, and this opinion may not be popular with investors, but I believe that in Lego Star Wars there are certain sets that they should always have, and just do occasional updates. Things like the DS, Falcon, X-Wing, and Tie-Fighter. I believe in the City line they have always had things like a police station or fire station. I could be wrong, though. 

This already happens.   I believe there has been about 14 or 15 X-Wings and over 20 TIE fighters released since 1999.  There has also been multiple Falcons and a new one is coming.  

Edited by Ed Mack

Heck, I could see a new death star being made, especially if Rouge One has numerous scenes where rebels are inside the death star trying to steal the plans. 

However, I don't think this is going to kill the value of the old one.  It may slightly diminish the value from going the way of the UCS MF, but the original death star is the original ultimate classic lego set and people are always going to want one of those, regardless how many new ones are made.   It's based off the original trilogy, while the new one will obviously be based off a new movie.

• Like 1

I'm still pretty new to this concept of Lego investing, but this set has been around much longer than most, that alone tells me something. With all the money TLG puts into (and expects to make) on the Star Wars, they need a top-tier flagship set for the line. Not just for marketing but the margins are great.  Obviously, the Sandcrawler or Slave isn't going to have the necessary appeal to fill that role. IMO, there are really only two truly iconic Star Wars ships that qualify for this role...the Falcon and the Death Star. And in that case 10188 can't be retired until an even high piece count of one of these sets is ready and waiting to replace it.

• Like 1

All of my sources are in agreement that the next $500, 5000 piece UCS playset will be the Collector's Edition Sarlacc Pit.  Minifigures will include all the guys who fell into the pit at the beginning of Episode VI, except Boba Fett, since he was apparently able to climb out and get away.  Anyhow, it won't be much of a threat to 10188.

Pardon my ignorance but I have never heard of this Just2Good. What are these accurate predictions you talk of?

​He isn't a brickpicker member. He is a member at Eurobricks. Not my job to keep anyone informed of his predictions. Do the legwork yourself. As i stated in my post, it's not my job to make you believe or not. Do the research and make your own decision. What will be, will be. This is why i don't post frequently here as some do. I do not feel the need or desire to get into debates. Info was passed along. Whether or not anyone believes it is not my problem. As i also stated before, i can pass along that the sky is blue but if you believe it to be green then that's your prerogative. You'd be totally wrong but it's still your prerogative. :)

​He is referring to the playset coming in September, not a UCS one. 

​Until I see something more than a rumor, I'll have my doubts. I've seen the set #s with prices, but I don't believe anyone has confirmed that one of them is a MF yet .. or was I too busy with the trivia contest and I missed it? Maybe the 130 pound set I see referenced is the new DS playset?

​He isn't a brickpicker member. He is a member at Eurobricks. Not my job to keep anyone informed of his predictions. Do the legwork yourself. As i stated in my post, it's not my job to make you believe or not. Do the research and make your own decision. What will be, will be. This is why i don't post frequently here as some do. I do not feel the need or desire to get into debates. Info was passed along. Whether or not anyone believes it is not my problem. As i also stated before, i can pass along that the sky is blue but if you believe it to be green then that's your prerogative. You'd be totally wrong but it's still your prerogative. :)

You don't need to tell me the sky is blue, I know it is I see it everyday. However a prediction with no substance, that's hearsay!