Scored a 4842 Hogwart's Castle today, what next?

rpaulson7

I'm pretty new to the Lego investing game.  I've purchased a few big and medium size sets for long term hold, and trying to earn more investing money by being active on craigslist to flip some sets. 

Today I bought a complete set 4842 Hogwart's Castle for $100.  It has all the parts, the manuals, but no box.

I'm pretty sure I can flip it within a week for $250.

So, two questions.

1) Is a quick flip for $150 profit the best answer on this set?  Is it a sell now, sell at Christmas, or hold longer?

2) Or is there a better place to put the $150 profit right now?  Where?

The sets on my long-term hold wish list are Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, T1 Camper Van, and maybe Tower Bridge.

What should I do as a small time investor? 

If you like Harry Potter, I would keep it. It's prob the last Hogwarts we'll see unless Lego gets the license again.  Expect nice steady growth. 

However, it depends on your investing strategy.  

I for one am in no rush unloading Key Potter sets like this and the train. Then again I already have money allocated in paid retail price sets for hopefully skyrocket like growth like 10221, 10224 and 10228. 

Thanks for the thoughts Jaison.  So where do you think the ceiling could go? 

I read a comment about new kids discovering Harry Potter all the time, your thoughts on no more Hogwarts.

So, even though it's used with no box, strongly consider a hold?

Maybe it's 2 year outlook is much more solid than a gamble on one of the other sets I listed?

As a used set I don't see this one surpassing $350-400. As far as sell v hold at the moment you must consider what else you could put that $150 profit into. Is it better to sell now and get a sealed Pet Shop or Palace cinema in hopes they retire and will increase faster? Will the new book cause a huge spike in all things Potter? What if Lego gets another license and comes out with a bigger and better Hogwarts? Personally I like to turn over inventory, but this is a very nice set.

• Like 2

You said what you want to do, do it. If your goal is to flip sets to gain more capital for investing as you said, do it. No need to over think it, if you can make a quick $150 then do it.

If you don't have a plan, or don't follow your set plan, you'll fail in this game before long.

Just take a look at the growth over the last year on your set vs. Haunted House, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, Sopwith Camel, Horizon Express, etc.

Then decide if maximizing your profit on this set is worth missing out on the profit from one of those you listed, given your personal circumstances. As you can tell by reading around the forums, no one can predict retirement timing with complete accuracy, so study up and give it your best shot.

I agree it sounds like you have a plan that makes sense, but we are not in a position to tell you what is the best course of action. Only you can do that.

figure out your game plan early or you will spend a lot of wasted effort "winging" it

I have a used one of the same set, it isn't as rock solid as people think at this time of the year. Why spend $250 on this set, if you can get a nice 4709 used for $100? you are not just competing selling this set with the other sellers of this set, you are competing with the other 2-3 versions of hogwarts too.

You like HP? keep it

You want to get ball rolling on investing? flip it and move on. I am one that likes to keep at least some of my inventory rolling over, but choice is up to you

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts Jaison.  So where do you think the ceiling could go? 

I read a comment about new kids discovering Harry Potter all the time, your thoughts on no more Hogwarts.

So, even though it's used with no box, strongly consider a hold?

Maybe it's 2 year outlook is much more solid than a gamble on one of the other sets I listed?

This set's remaining  ROI growth won't come close to some potential sets like the UCS X-Wing, Tumbler and Slave 1  (to name a few)l. plus your set is opened.  hogwart's main growth already happened.

My 2 cents...

if you are a Potter fan or have a younger kid, I would prob keep it.  If you are an investor first, sell it.

At the very least, if it's already in used status, build the sucker and get some personal enjoyment out of it before flipping! It's a cool set! (Not overly helpful to your question, but gives you something fun to do while you hym and haw over a decision!)

• Like 1

Get  rid of it at 200 or whatever the concurrent price is at your location. Double you money. Don't think much more in it. I bought with box for 90€. Took me 4 months to get rid at it at 170 but glad it is gone. Sceptic about this set even if there is no more Hogwarts coming.

I'm pretty new to the Lego investing game.  I've purchased a few big and medium size sets for long term hold, and trying to earn more investing money by being active on craigslist to flip some sets. 

Today I bought a complete set 4842 Hogwart's Castle for $100.  It has all the parts, the manuals, but no box.

I'm pretty sure I can flip it within a week for $250.

So, two questions.

1) Is a quick flip for $150 profit the best answer on this set?  Is it a sell now, sell at Christmas, or hold longer?

2) Or is there a better place to put the $150 profit right now?  Where?

The sets on my long-term hold wish list are Pet Shop, Palace Cinema, T1 Camper Van, and maybe Tower Bridge.

What should I do as a small time investor? 

​First confirm that it is complete (full inventory, separate by color), then sell it (as long as you re-invest the funds).

Based on your post (and sets of interest), where do you picture the values of these sets in a few years? Will the used 4842 be worth more than 2 T1 Camper Van sets, or a Tower Bridge set? Doubtful.

Edited by KShine

At the very least, if it's already in used status, build the sucker and get some personal enjoyment out of it before flipping! It's a cool set! (Not overly helpful to your question, but gives you something fun to do while you hym and haw over a decision!)

​First confirm that it is complete (full inventory, separate by color), then sell it (as long as you re-invest the funds).

Based on your post (and sets of interest), where do you picture the values of these sets in a few years? Will the used 4842 be worth more than 2 T1 Camper Van sets, or a Tower Bridge set? Doubtful.

​I got a 4842 in a bulk lot (with some other HP sets) last year.  Great advice above.  I inventoried, got the missing pieces, enjoyed putting together, and broke it down and sold it.  I think I got about $200 for it.  I did have instructions, but no box.  Based on what I spent on the bulk lot, I'd say I at least doubled my money, if not better.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your advice.  I've decided my plan is to build it with my daughter - for fun and to validate every piece is there.  Then buy any missing pieces, and sell to reinvest.  As some of you stated - stick to the plan and don't overthink it.

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more with KShrine and Alpinemaps. What about buying the box too for a better sell? $20 on Bricklink.

​I wouldn't bother with the box on a used set. On top of the $20 you spend on the box, it will double your shipping cost. On used stuff, I usually ship without the box, even if I have it. 

• Like 1