Well my 5 year old son has finally discovered real Lego and is no longer interested in Duplo. I think the bug has affected me more than it has him. Lego was my favorite toy growing up, and right about now I am kicking myself for letting my parents get rid of over 100 pounds of Lego about twenty years ago. The investment thing is tough. With a 5 year old I would probably have to buy one to build of everything I buy to invest. I also have little to no extra space in my home for storage. Today I bought a DS, but I bought it to build. I am so tempted to go to the store and pick up another one as an investment, but I'm uncertain if buying a $400 set that has had plenty of time to saturate the market is a good idea. 

If you have the funds, and the time to sit on it for a bit, you will almost certainly get all your money back for the second purchase, pay for the one you build/keep, and still have a little extra to reinvest. It's just one of those amazing sets.

edit: Welcome to Brickpicker!

Edited by Zelgazra
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard! If dropping $400 on a Death Star makes you nervous, then buy one tumbler and one slave I instead. Both have excellent potential.

​Ah yes, but I would have to severely bump my head after I bought them to forget I had them, because I would really want to build both of those sets. Starting next month I should be able to budget about $500/month for Lego. It's my hope to be able to buy one set to build and one to hold on to. I'm not looking to make a killing, but maybe over time build up enough to pay for the builds. I think Lego is having some sort of Superhero promotion later this month. maybe I'll pick up two tumblers. I really like that set. I'm noticing on ebay that currently used DS are going for nearly $300. Once the set is retired I may still be able to turn a tiny profit on it once my son tires of it.

Hello all, I'm a 35 year old divorced dad and my 5 year old son has just fallen crazy in love with Lego.  It has become a wonderful hobby for us because we do it together and (don't tell anyone) I think I enjoy building the toys even more than he does.  I can't believe all the amazing sets out there and I wish (probably like everyone else) that I had known about all this great stuff earlier before so many became sold out and retired and the prices skyrocketed on eBay.

Needless to say, we don't have $400 to spend on a Haunted House on eBay and I simply can't believe it was available only a few months ago at Lego.com for only $161.98.  How is that possible?? (That's probably more of a rhetorical question)

So here's really my question: should I just give up on the sold out stuff? Or is there any possible way to get some of these recently sold out sets somewhere other than eBay for prices that are a little more reasonable?  I'm not expecting to still get them at retail or anything; just trying to find out where else to look.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to respond, and I would also appreciate ANY general advice or helpful hints or do's and dont's for someone just getting started in building a Lego collection. Thanks again,

Mike