How to build your sealed set while retaining the most value

diablo2112

I have a common dilemma that I'm sure others here have faced: I have a huge, sealed Lego inventory and in moments of weakness, I get the urge to build a set.  Staring for months at my rack of sealed Death Stars, Tumblers, and Sandcrawlers can break down the resistance of even the most hardened investor.

Anyway, once you've made the foolish decision to build a kit, I think there's some things you can do to preserve as much value as possible for later resale.  Here's a couple of thoughts and ideas:

1) Face it, you're going to lose some value.  This is unavoidable.  A sealed kit with unopened bags will always be worth more than a built kit, no matter what else you do.  If at all possible, try to buy the same kit already used, or with an open box, or some other variant.  Break the seals on your new kits as a last resort.   That said, here's some further ideas...

2) Obvious things are keep the box in as good a shape as you can (I store my opened boxes right along with my sealed kits), as well as the instructions.  If the kit includes stickers, bite the bullet and don't use them.  Keep all stickers on the sheet.  For things like UCS nameplates, you can use color xerox copies for display, keeping the stickers intact.  And this goes without saying: don't lose any parts or minifigs, including the few bits of extra parts.  

2a) When selecting a kit to build, if you have multiple in your collection, build the kit with the worst-shape box.  Also, obvious, but I carefully evaluate all my copies, and pick the one with the most damage, perhaps a broken seal, maybe some crease marks or a bit of crush-age.

3) Not so obvious things.  I carefully open each sealed bag with a pair of scissors (more on this, below), and I SAVE ALL THE BAGS.  Once the novelty has worn off and I decide to break down the kit, I re-use the bags.  Here's the tricky part: I also use the instructions to reverse-build the kit, and I carefully place the disassembled parts back into the original, numbered bags.  The goal is the next builder opens each, numbered bag and all the right parts (including extras) are present. This may seem excessive, but it certainly can't hurt value, and I think it will help on resale. 

3a) For those kits that have multiple bags for each, numbered step, I've often taken pics of the bag contents prior to build.  I'll try to re-package parts back into the same bags, but this isn't strictly accurate, and probably overkill.

4) All those tiny parts that come as extras in each bag?  When building, I put the extras back into the appropriate numbered bag, then store them with the box.  That way, the extra bits will be in the right place when I disassemble.

5) Make sure on disassembly that your kit is as clean as possible.  This can be tough if its gotten dusty.  I use soft-bristle brushes first to clean, followed by compressed air if needed.  As a last resort, I'll run parts in the sink with the sprayer and warm water, followed by towel-drying and the blowdryer to remove excess water.

6) If you cut open bags with scissors along the long, non-sealed edge (the part that's continuous and wraps around), I've found you get a beautiful, clean re-seal of the bag using clear packing tape.  I wrap the tape around the cut, then use scissors to trim the tape even with the sealed edge of the bag, top and bottom.  Harder to describe than show (and I could get a picture of this if anyone is interested).  When done, the bags look fantastic.  You're not going to fool anyone into thinking its a sealed set, but it will look like the best, built set you can sell.

7) Much of this effort is for naught if you don't take good pics of the kit, both built, and after disassembly.  Put these pics in your auction, if you're selling on eBay.  It works wonders, at least for the half-dozen sales I've done in this manner.

8] Maybe all this is overkill and I'm anal.  You're probably right.  None-the-less, the steps above won't hurt, and there's a bit of extra fun in disassembling kits carefully and getting them back to as close to as-recieved condition as you can.

BTW, the few sales I've had of kits given this treatment have all gone slightly above the usual resale prices on eBay, and 2 of those kits went for almost (within 5%) of new, sealed prices.

Thoughts?  What do you do when the urge to build strikes?  

Figure 1.  End result of foolish Lego investment decisions...

IMG_1630_zps0hn8hfg0.jpg

edit: 

Thought a few pictures might help illustrate my suggestions.  Here's a Volvo 42030 Loader I built, then disassembled.  Note the sealed bags.  This particular kit didn't have numbered bags, but you'll get the idea.  It's very hard to tell this has been opened and resealed, as you can see.  I find buyers really do respond to this care, and it doesn't take much effort.

IMG_1631_zps08t0jqxj.jpg

IMG_1633_zps5fqpikle.jpg

IMG_1634_zpsvkds5jcd.jpg

Edited by diablo2112
  • Like 5

appreciate the insight.

when i open a set, I go all in,stickers included. I like to enjoy the sets that are for my personal collection and I really dont worry about how much they will depreciate down the road as I am yet to consider selling any of them. 

I keep the boxes in great condition along with instructions as much as humanly possible. I agree about choosing a box in a rough shape, that is a smart move and to me seems pretty logical.

Some choose to buy used sets to save some money, that is not a bad idea especially for retired sets. 

Call me old school but I still believe Lego sets are meant to be played with and I am 35..lol

p.s: open that sandcrawler and enjoy it. The build process is one for the books 

Edited by Bold-Arrow
  • Like 4

The answer is quite simple. Buy a used set and build it. If you can't stomach Lego that has been touched by someone else get an open box/sealed bag set to build.

​That's always a better answer, sure.  But it's not alway practical.*  The intent of my post was some suggestions for how to retain value if you're cracking the seals.  That's a worthy topic for discussion, no?

*example: my wife was unexpectedly out of town last weekend, and I found myself with 2 days, a bit bored, staring at shelves full of enticing Lego.  No time to buy the used set, my impatience overcame my better judgement. True story.

Edited by diablo2112

I tend to agree with your technique, although I recycle the lego bags, and when I break one down, use ziplocks and number them with a permanent black sharpie.  With many of these exclusive sets, I like to have at least three, then once I land the third set, I always open the one with the worst box.

• Like 1

Call my old school but I still believe Lego sets are meant to be played with and I am 35..lol

​Youngster.  I turn 50 in 2 weeks.

p.s: open that sandcrawler and enjoy it. The build process is one for the books 

​Yes, yes, yes!  You've broken down my resistance!  I shall obey your command.   The Sandcrawler will go perfectly on the shelf below the other UCS kits in my picture, above.

• Like 2

​That's always a better answer, sure.  But it's not alway practical.*  The intent of my post was some suggestions for how to retain value if you're cracking the seals.  That's a worthy topic for discussion, no?

*example: my wife was unexpectedly out of town last weekend, and I found myself with 2 days, a bit bored, staring at shelves full of enticing Lego.  No time to buy the used set, my impatience overcame my better judgement. True story.

​sticking strictly to your question, I cant top your methods. I would def buy from you ;)

Guest brickcrazyhouse

​Youngster.  I turn 50 in 2 weeks.

​Yes, yes, yes!  You've broken down my resistance!  I shall obey your command.   The Sandcrawler will go perfectly on the shelf below the other UCS kits in my picture, above.

peer pressure is a good thing

Plus, it takes the fun out of the hobby to just buy big sets and sit on them.  You should build a few of them and keep them for yourself.  Those three you have on your shelf look awesome together.  Why not just keep going with it!  Those things are going to still be iconic 20 years from now.  I plan on letting my son decide what to do with the UCS sets we've opened.  He's still too young to play with many of the UCS star Wars sets, but they are his for the long term.  So build a few!  Can't make an omelet without scrambling a few eggs, right : )

• Like 1

Thought a few pictures might help illustrate my suggestions.  Here's a Volvo 42030 Loader I built, then disassembled.  Note the sealed bags.  It's very hard to tell this has been opened and resealed, as you can see.  I find buyers really do respond to this care, and it doesn't take much effort.

IMG_1631_zps08t0jqxj.jpg

IMG_1633_zps5fqpikle.jpg

IMG_1634_zpsvkds5jcd.jpg

• Like 1

Nice post diablo. I also "never" use stickers except for the kwik e mart I figured with 50 of them I would go all in. If it is a set I am building that I know I am going to sell I do not use the instructions. I am talking about more expensive sets with sealed cardboard  backed instructions. For these I use the ipad.  I do not think that will be an easy task with the Sandcrawler with the different shades of brown. 

• Like 1

Impeccable timing on this subject. My family is beginning the moving process and I have break down my display sets. I thought I was the only one saving the numbered bags and de-constructing using the manuals in reverse. I just re-packaged the Death Star this way. No pics of the process, however, as I plan on building these again when my boys are a bit older. 

• Like 1

Another tip if you're going to build it anyway, go into a LEGO store and ask if they have any damaged boxes for sale. Ask them which day they get their shipments in and go in the next day so you have a higher chance (mine is Tuesday). You either get a discount (10-30%) or points. Or if yours happens to arrive damaged, take it to the store and they'll give you points.

Edited by Brickson
  • Like 2

The hard nosed builder-investors among us usually re box sets on purchase and store them in cupboards (out of sight, out of mind). I am tempted to build the Mini but I don´t actually know where I stored it and am too lazy to go through all my boxes to find it!

Staring for months at my rack of sealed Death Stars, Tumblers, and Sandcrawlers can break down the resistance of even the most hardened investor.

​That is why most keep their inventory behind closed doors. "Out of sight, out of mind." I imagine some however in their sleep and at times waking hours seem to hear the sound of LEGO bricks sifting about through the box in the same manner as the beating hallucination of The Tell-Tale Heart.

• Like 1

Although some of the tips given are useful, I get nervous already if I have to do these nitty gritty things to preserve the used set. I almost have no time to build a set. Let alone to follow all of these instructions.

When I open a sealed legoset I preserve the boxes in their original condition. If I have multiples of a set I also choose the less nice box to open. I keep all the bags and the extra bits and pieces. I collect them all and put them in one bag and tape it to close it.

I am in the opinion that if you choose to open a set you should just accept your decision and go all the way. With stickers and the whole chabang. Otherwise keep them sealed and maybe buy a used one.

This detailed approach from the OP will help you with selling faster I think. But I do not expect you will get more money. 

• Like 1

when i open a set, I go all in,stickers included. I like to enjoy the sets that are for my personal collection and I really dont worry about how much they will depreciate down the road as I am yet to consider selling any of them. 

If I want a set for my collection, I just buy it and build it... Usually they end up in our collection before they end up in "inventory" anyways. I don't worry about secondary market value because well, it's for me and the family and at that point I really could care less if it retains it's value. I won't sell any of them anyways - they'll all be stored away and given to the kids when they are older like my LEGO bricks were given to me (though it paled in comparison to what we have collected).

You all are free to do your own thing with boxes and bags... but I couldn't be bothered to keep the numbered bags and boxes are flattened and stored (except those stupid new Bionicle boxes that you have to rip apart to flatten, those get recycled). When we take a set apart, we just put all the parts in one great big ziplock bag (protecting stickered or printed parts). Makes it more of a challenge to rebuild!

• Like 1

All this effort might save you an average of 3% or less on your resale, if that.  Enjoy your build and just make sure all the contents are there in the best condition possible when you sell it.  If the box is a little banged up, it won't make that much difference.

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

​That is why most keep their inventory behind closed doors. "Out of sight, out of mind." I imagine some however in their sleep and at times waking hours seem to hear the sound of LEGO bricks sifting about through the box in the same manner as the beating hallucination of The Tell-Tale Heart.

​And from the sets' perspective, the minifigs stuck in there probably feel like it is more "The Cask of Amontillado".

I am in awe of the care some of you put in building your sets AND preserving the bits and pieces but that is also why I separate completely what I build from what I keep. Having returned from my second Dark Ages, the sets I have are going to stay with me.

• Like 1

I have a common dilemma that I'm sure others here have faced: I have a huge, sealed Lego inventory and in moments of weakness, I get the urge to build a set.  Staring for months at my rack of sealed Death Stars, Tumblers, and Sandcrawlers can break down the resistance of even the most hardened investor.

Anyway, once you've made the foolish decision to build a kit, I think there's some things you can do to preserve as much value as possible for later resale. 

​I have a tip and a question:
- Tip: I you want to retain value, stop putting bricks or bags on your carpet! Especially - but not only - if there are pets in your house.
- Question: How are you going to communicate all the effort you spent retaining the most value of your set to a potential buyer in the end? Most buyers just read "used" or "new" and that's it.

Edited by rfish
  • Like 1

My own view is that i would never reverse the build and rebag that way. As my Lego investing includes the cost of my time, i don't think the time spent would justify the hoped for increase in resale value. Very much with the not applying the stickers mentality though

• Like 1