Completionist Collecting - What themes or Lego items do you collect them all

ahhh pics please

They'd be mostly boring stock room pics right now. As I don't currently have a home office/study/den/basement, and Mrs. Deadfraggle doesn't want to decorate our living room or bedroom in a LEGO motiff, I'm anxiously awaiting my next Army PCS move to hopefully get a bigger house.

• Like 1

LOTR, Hobbit, Simpson - those are the three.  But I don't count poly bags. Too many weird polybags out there to get.  Also, don't worry about the crazy comic con ones off that exist but I can't get out of retail.   Thinking the Lego move next as I have the Cow, Spaceship and police drop thingee doo.   Whatever they call it. 

• Like 1

I have every architecture set (minus MBS since it was never mass produced - maybe one day).  I plan on keeping up with the simpsons sets, and with nine Star Wars USC sets - it may be awhile before I lay my hands on all of them.  I seem just when I'm about to invest in an old set a new one comes out that I gotta get.  I think I'll start going for all the ideas sets as well. 

• Like 1

Forgot to mention that last year, I acquired all Indiana Jones sets (no polys or special editions) via eBay and Bricklink. Some of the more expensive or rare sets I was lucky enough to grab in a bulk purchase off eBay and was just missing a few parts and figures that I then tracked down separately. I finally got Mola Ram just a couple weeks ago (another bulk eBay purchase) and I believe I am still in the market for "Temple Thuggie 2" lol I was seriously bummed when I found out I missed out on these sets during my dark ages and just figured they wouldn't ever be remade. Once I decide on a theme, I am a hardcore completionist!

• Like 3

Collectable Minifigures (complete from Series 7 to now excluding The Simpsons) and Mixels. I collected all of the Star Wars Planets until the last wave not released here in the US (darn it) and all of the Friends animal collectibles except for the last three critters I never saw anywhere for some reason. For the regular themes, I don't really go out of my way to collect every single one of them exactly but get what I like from them all. Maybe if I had cash to burn I would buy up a whole line or just get more of the ones I like a lot such as the Creator houses and such.

They'd be mostly boring stock room pics right now. As I don't currently have a home office/study/den/basement, and Mrs. Deadfraggle doesn't want to decorate our living room or bedroom in a LEGO motiff, I'm anxiously awaiting my next Army PCS move to hopefully get a bigger house.

You and me both.    I have the tops and some shelves of my built-in bookshelves in my office slowly filling up with assembled sets.   But the majority of my collection is sitting in my storage closet (climate controlled, of course) I built in the attic.   I will build a LEGO room up there eventually.

The only sets I've bought recently that are exclusively for resale are Palace Cinema (2x), Simpson's House, and Tower Bridge (2x).   I've also been collecting poly bag givaways for the same reason.   But it's highly unlikely I will ever part with Star Wars stuff (well, maybe 20+ years from now when the wife and I retire and buy a motorhome :)).   LOTR/Hobbit, Castle and other Space stuff (except Classic Space) would go long before anything Star Wars.

Nice video!!  How long did it take you to produce it?   

I'd say a day of building.  2 days of shooting and 1.5 days of editing.  It's hard to actually calculate the amount of time because I'm doing a number of things throughout each stage.

• Like 2

I'd say a day of building.  2 days of shooting and 1.5 days of editing.  It's hard to actually calculate the amount of time because I'm doing a number of things throughout each stage.

Thanks for the response..

Great job once again!!. 

I watched that video with my kids, and they just kept asking to watch more. It got to be bedtime and they were disappointed that they had to stop.

• Like 1

I've got complete collection of direct exclusive (subthemes modular, winter village etc) just completed the sets with 10196 grand carousel w/ box and instruction for $700 us in hindsight when I picked up this set at the Lego store and said $250 way to expensive (samething happened with Taj Mahal sadly) other wise I've been Lucky to pick most of them up retail. I started in 2009 in a buying blitz which included 10181 Eiffel Tower (thank god my parants convinced me buy this over town plan), 10182 cafe corner, 10185 green grocer, and 10197 fire brigade (first modular lol) other wise I've been filling in the gaps. Over the last 6 years (by gaps I mean the 4 sets primarily Taj Mahal, grand carousel, market street and holiday train otherwise no other sets went over $200 (except 10187 which I bought new for $250 back when))

Edited by MrEverything1987

• 2 months later...

I'm not really a strict a theme completionist, but there are a few lines where I "caught them all."

1) Lord of the Rings and Hobbit - Sets are ok, really just wanted to get all the minifigs.  I use the bricks for castle mocs

2) Monster Fighters - Complete except for the zombies, since that was long gone before I got interested in lego again.  This theme really clicked for me, it was pretty unique and I put together a display every Halloween.

3) Galaxy Squad - this one was kind of accidental.  Stores were putting these on clearance so much that I bought them up just for bricks and minifigs.  Ended up completing the line.

4) Winter Village series - I'm a sucker for Christmas.

Returned from my "dark age" a couple months ago and am aiming to complete the modulars and winter village. More so driven by the themes which my wife and I both enjoy. (If not for a reluctance to pay for high-priced NIB sets, that'd make us the perfect re-seller suckers haha) All but the "Big 3" modulars obtained and we only have the most recent couple of WV sets so lots of work to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got out of the completionist mindset several years ago.  It was just causing me to accumulate too much stuff and spend money on items I just sorta kinda wanted.  I'm talking toys in general.

However, I think by shear coincidence I have a complete Prince of Persia collection and Lone Ranger collection.  Lame movies, but actually nice Lego sets with interesting themes you don't see very often these days.  PoP and LR was also pretty easy to find and discounted a great deal.

I almost have a complete LOTR and Monster Fighters collection.  For MF I only got the Vampire Castle car off of eBay as I didn't really care for the castle itself.  Never wanted to spend the big money on ToO either.  I would prioritize many other sets at that price range that I would buy before considering ToO.

Edited by sharky1999