Somebody is using my eBay listing picture

yang

Not sure how to report this, but I just saw someone is using one of my eBay listing pictures on his brickclassifieds listing. I read his feedbacks, he seems like a legit seller, not sure why he did that instead of taking his own pictures. I don't want to post the listing here just in case he did not intend to mislead buyers.

Thanks.

If you take a lot of pride in the photos you shoot the only way to prevent lazy people from stealing your photos is to place a water mark on your photos. This is easy to do, but if you have a lot of listings can be quite time consuming. If you choose to do this approach in the future make sure your water mark covers the item and background. this makes it harder to photoshop out. (see image below)

Another option is to put a small sign with your store name on it in front of the item. Example

yang.jpg

• Like 2

I like the small sign idea... less hassle with software, editing, etc (though I haven't gotten 'round to making my sign yet).  Pro tip: if you sell on multiple platforms, don't use your eBay username on your sign or watermark. (Cuz then you'll have to make a different sign for Brickclassifieds, and Craigslist, etc...or file a duplicate image with different watermark... too much work).  I plan on making a basic sign that says "Image copyright J.C. Smith" (or whatever) then use it across all listing platforms.  I think the word "copyright" could further deter the image stealer+photoshopper.  :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

Hey there! One time when I was selling a bunch of Mac accessories, some guy stole my photo and maybe even my titile and description. I didn't do anything about it. Depending on the way you look at it, it could be kind of flattering! 

I don't look at people profiting off my work as flattering.

12 hours ago, bigboy61 said:

Hey there! One time when I was selling a bunch of Mac accessories, some guy stole my photo and maybe even my titile and description. I didn't do anything about it. Depending on the way you look at it, it could be kind of flattering! 

If the seller is legit, I am okay with it. But I'm worried about the worst case, that I don't want to be used in a possible scam.

41 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

If you take a lot of pride in the photos you shoot the only way to prevent lazy people from stealing your photos is to place a water mark on your photos. This is easy to do, but if you have a lot of listings can be quite time consuming. If you choose to do this approach in the future make sure your water mark covers the item and background. this makes it harder to photoshop out. (see image below)

Another option is to put a small sign with your store name on it in front of the item. Example

I have been on eBay long enough to see lazy sellers proudly displayed my pictures on their listings, watermark and all :crazy:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

yang.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I did put a name sign in the first picture of my listing, he used the 3rd picture which has no sign......

1 hour ago, pstebbing said:

yang.jpg

Of course in about 10 seconds or so one can filter out most simple watermarks:

image2.jpg

3 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Of course in about 10 seconds or so one can filter out most simple watermarks:

image2.jpg

i think that "stamp" hack took more than 10 sec...... just sayin'.

But yes if someone wanted to remove a watermark it is possible. just deters most.

32 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I have been on eBay long enough to see lazy sellers proudly displayed my pictures on their listings, watermark and all :crazy:

Same here, but it makes ebay's decision a lot easier when I report it. It's clearly stolen at this point.

12 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

i think that "stamp" hack took more than 10 sec...... just sayin'.

But yes if someone wanted to remove a watermark it is possible. just deters most.

You could put more time into it if you wanted too, especially once you go to the trouble to reduce the size back again &/or put your own mark in it's place...  actually that one took less than 10 seconds 'cause I didn't want to clean or fine tune the final picture. (it took me longer to figure out adding the photo to the post)  That's just using free image paint software, but there are also on-line services that pull the watermarks off an image from a URL without you even having to rt-clk save image.

Just say'n there's no point in worrying too much about perceived copyright once you put a photo out into the wild.

BTW: if the op of the photo wants the adapted image removed that can be done - just demonstrating for discussion & educational purposes.

3 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

You don't own the pictures, when it is uploaded I'm pretty sure ebay does. Also it isn't copyrighted unless.....you apply for a copyright

I never said it was copyrighted. It is still against ebay policies. Are you saying it is cool for people to steal my pictures because it is technically legal? If the best argument one has for one's actions is, "but I didn't do anything illegal!", then one is still being a grade-a ******.

I steal other peoples images on EBay. As an admitted image thief, I'll tell you how to deter scumbag creeps like me. Use a brick built sign in your image. Position the sign so that it interferes with your subject. If it's a LEGO box, put the sign on the box. If it's loose bricks, do something similar to what this guy did (see image.)

Watermarks are an okay deterrent, but the brick built signs are the ultimate. If the conditions are right, a depraved image stealer like myself will use your watermarked image, without bothering to remove your watermark. Watermarks are so pervasive, they can go unnoticed. Something about the homespun nature of the brick built sign makes it really stick out.

If your image has already been stolen, your best bet is to contact the seller. I've never heard of eBay doing anything about stolen images.

Screenshot_2016-03-14-08-51-58.png

Edited by randrace
  • Like 1

I never said it was copyrighted. It is still against ebay policies. Are you saying it is cool for people to steal my pictures because it is technically legal? If the best argument one has for one's actions is, "but I didn't do anything illegal!", then one is still being a grade-a ******.

It's not cool, you just aren't allowed to get upset so much about it

• Like 2

You don't own the pictures, when it is uploaded I'm pretty sure ebay does. Also it isn't copyrighted unless.....you apply for a copyright

This is not how copyright works. You own the copyright to images you create for your listings. If you don't opt-in to eBay's catalog submissions policy, use of your images is 100% copyright infringement, clear and simple.

To actually sue over it, you'd need to register the copyright. But that can be done after an infringement; since the infringement most likely occurs online the DMCA still lets you recover court costs in such a case.

tl;dr it isn't hard to make your own pictures, stealing them makes you a thief, and while you are extremely unlikely to be held financially liable for those thefts, if you are you will be rendered bankrupt.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, justapilgrim said:

This is not correct, at least in the US.  Straight from the horse's mouth:

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?

No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

http://copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register

• Like 2

Ebay's Image & Text policy -  http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

You should be sure you have permission from the rights owner or creator before you use the following:

• Stock photos and text

• Information from product packaging

• It's usually OK to use information such as measurements, weight, or other item specifications that are necessary to describe the item that you simply can't say any other way. However, you should avoid using any other text from product packaging unless you have permission from the owner to do so.

• Other eBay Users photos or descriptions

• Photos and text copied from websites

• Scans from catalogs or advertisements

*All rights/Image property of randrace*  I'm merely trying to show the ease in which just about any photo can be easily altered,no harm intended.Please ask for deletion if you so desire.I take my own photos for Ebay.

Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by MrJ-NY
additional info
  • Like 2