Possible Canada Post Lockout/Strike

Vodium

Haven't been keeping tabs on this, but just got the e-mail from ebay today. Welp time to take my listings down again ><

I was actually just about ready to list an iPhone too, that would have been a fun 700+ item to get stuck in limbo.. Luckily sold it locally today before resorting to ebay.

I'd take ebay's advice and leave listings up. I did during last threat, and I'm glad I did... The strike never happened, and I did ~$450 in sales I couldn't have made if I'd pulled listings.

Most people are reasonable when you inform them. Worst case they'll want to cancel.

11 hours ago, Zelgazra said:

Shipped 4 items by C-Post today. 3 of them International (USA, France, Thailand). No issues, no mention of strike action. Business as usual. 

I'm sure Canada post workers are instructed not to volunteer any info and to probably say no more then "I don't know." if asked a direct question. In reality they are probably mostly in the dark as to where negotiations are going.

5 hours ago, lobo1969 said:

I'm sure Canada post workers are instructed not to volunteer any info and to probably say no more then "I don't know."

From what I read, the term "Strike action" can mean anything from actually striking, to say having all the workers wear a pin on their uniform that says something about the labour dispute. The range is huge. The action they have taken is to restrict their workers from doing any overtime. This keeps parcels in motion. I don't know how sure you are, but my friend works for them as a delivery lady, and she's volunteered basically as much information as the media has provided... basically, they know as much as we know. The fact nothing was mentioned when I dropped items off, to me anyway, was an indication there's nothing to worry about, business as usual. 

I'm fine though guys, just speaking my experience throughout this event. If you all want to pull your listings, less competition for a short period for me, I'm down with that! ;) 

• 3 months later...

New collectiv‎e agreements ratified by Canada Post employees represented by CUPW

"Canada Post is pleased that its employees represented by CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC have voted to ratify the new collective agreements reached in August. This provides certainty for our customers and employees as we work hard to deliver the holidays for Canadians."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Thumper said:

New collectiv‎e agreements ratified by Canada Post employees represented by CUPW

"Canada Post is pleased that its employees represented by CUPW-Urban and CUPW-RSMC have voted to ratify the new collective agreements reached in August. This provides certainty for our customers and employees as we work hard to deliver the holidays for Canadians."

That was very quiet, didn't hear a thing about it but good to know.

Gee...  I think that last threat of work action really broke Canada Post's standard operating procedures or something - it's just not working the way it always has anymore!

Sitting at my desk yesterday afternoon the doorbell rang for a package delivery... WTF! they carried a package up my private little 20' driveway to my door, over 1/2 a km from the nearly always frozen-closed super-box down the street, they had the nerve to ring the doorbell, on a Sunday afternoon!, in a snowstorm! who do they think they are USPS or something! Not even Fed-ex will get out of their truck, and UPS won't even venture into a suburban neighbourhood (for fear of all those Volvos & nasty Santa-Fe's I assume). Postie was pleasant & smiled as she handed me the little box - why be that way when there's a perfectly good row of hedges along the front of the porch under-which the Purolator guys make full use of for their deliveries, why take all the fun out of having to scramble across the garden to retrieve a soggy box?  yeash, guess must be newbies hired for the annual essentially grinding postal slowdown that happens this time of year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Gee...  I think that last threat of work action really broke Canada Post's standard operating procedures or something - it's just not working the way it always has anymore!

Sitting at my desk yesterday afternoon the doorbell rang for a package delivery... WTF! they carried a package up my private little 20' driveway to my door, over 1/2 a km from the nearly always frozen-closed super-box down the street, they had the nerve to ring the doorbell, on a Sunday afternoon!, in a snowstorm! who do they think they are USPS or something! Not even Fed-ex will get out of their truck, and UPS won't even venture into a suburban neighbourhood (for fear of all those Volvos & nasty Santa-Fe's I assume). Postie was pleasant & smiled as she handed me the little box - why be that way when there's a perfectly good row of hedges along the front of the porch under-which the Purolator guys make full use of for their deliveries, why take all the fun out of having to scramble across the garden to retrieve a soggy box?  yeash, guess must be newbies hired for the annual essentially grinding postal slowdown that happens this time of year. 

Well, I have to hand it to Canada Post, their efficiency is always much better during the X-mas shipping season. Its been noticeable for many years now. I'm never surprised when Canada Post is ringing my door bell in the evening 7 days a week this time of year.

3 hours ago, seapotato said:

I had a parcel delivery on sunday as well. Is that normal during the Christmas season?

As mentioned, yes, but worth noting that you're not able to send out deliveries on a Sunday as drop-offs are still closed. It's their catch-up day during the holidays to get everything that's still left over finished before the week resets. Despite working well into the overtime hours, they still can't get all the packages they have for their day out in a normal 9-10 hour shift. This is what I've gathered from chatting with my post lady recently anyway.