Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

• 3 weeks later...

This seems like a "war story" about to happen.  Or that already happened and is going to happen again....  Or, could be a new "are the fruitcakes running rampant on CL" thread...  Regardless, provided here for your edification:

Lego collection - $12000 (Carol stream) hide this posting

6086.png6086.png6087.png6087.png
marker-shadow.png

marker-icon-2x.png

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map)

I have a massive supply of Lego. I started this project to get extra money to pay off my wife's student loans. We're just about done. I want to quit my second job but I have a ton of inventory left. There is way more that 12k here. I would say 50k plus but it's a lot of work to get it all to market. I have hundreds of mini-figures, hundreds of unbuilt sets with instructions that are bagged ready to inventory. Around 1000 pounds of bulk Lego. I will share my secrets of how I sell for $25 up to $60 a pound. I have done over 100k in gross sales this year primarily off used Lego. I can prove this all very easily with my seller accounts. The price is not negotiable. If you would like to check out my stash I'm available most weekdays. I can also help move it.

Lego Legos lot pound pounds collection massive large big bin Star Wars ninjago lord of the rings Indiana jones ghost hunters castle city train

• 2 months later...

Last week a recent craigslist ad was up for a $250 Toys R Us gift card for sale for $200.  I figure 20% off, and have some things on the priority list, TRUST, etc.  And Star Wars was buy one get one 40% off.

So we meet at TRU, and she's late of course, since I told her we need to be on time because I have to get back home for a family outing.

We find each other in the store, and for whatever reason she thinks I'm just going to buy $250 in Lego right there, and she's going to be with me at the register and she will hand them the gift card and pay for me.  [which is going to look awkward because I look like a "Trump voter" and she looks like Lafawnda from Napoleon Dynamite and has young child in tow that would clearly not be mine]

I say no, I'll just buy it outright, I'm not spending $250 today.  Upon me saying $250, she says "well there's only $241 on it now because I just bought something."  So she's late because she was in line buying something with a gift card she's about to sell!  [During this time I'm only 90% paying attention because I'm verifying the $ amount on the card with my phone - yup, about $241 on it].  She said well we can take $9 off the price.  I pull out two crispy $100 bills and ask for change - she has none - poor suggestion on her part.

I told her I didn't drive over here for a $241 gift card, I came for $250.  So she says something along the lines of "well it's your lucky day because I have another gift card with $34 on it that I guess I'll throw in also."  I check the value on that one, $34. 

So, $275 in gift cards for $200 and a decent story.  About a 27% savings.

I quickly used the $34 one since the PIN had been scratched off.  The $241 card hadn't been scratched yet.

Then 8 hours later I get a text from her that she "has another one for $278".  I said I'd pass, I had enough. And maybe something a little fishy going on here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Last week a recent craigslist ad was up for a $250 Toys R Us gift card for sale for $200.  I figure 20% off, and have some things on the priority list, TRUST, etc.  And Star Wars was buy one get one 40% off.

So we meet at TRU, and she's late of course, since I told her we need to be on time because I have to get back home for a family outing.

We find each other in the store, and for whatever reason she thinks I'm just going to buy $250 in Lego right there, and she's going to be with me at the register and she will hand them the gift card and pay for me.  [which is going to look awkward because I look like a "Trump voter" and she looks like Lafawnda from Napoleon Dynamite and has young child in tow that would clearly not be mine]

I say no, I'll just buy it outright, I'm not spending $250 today.  Upon me saying $250, she says "well there's only $241 on it now because I just bought something."  So she's late because she was in line buying something with a gift card she's about to sell!  [During this time I'm only 90% paying attention because I'm verifying the $ amount on the card with my phone - yup, about $241 on it].  She said well we can take $9 off the price.  I pull out two crispy $100 bills and ask for change - she has none - poor suggestion on her part.

I told her I didn't drive over here for a $241 gift card, I came for $250.  So she says something along the lines of "well it's your lucky day because I have another gift card with $34 on it that I guess I'll throw in also."  I check the value on that one, $34. 

I quickly used the $34 one since the PIN had been scratched off.  The $241 card hadn't been scratched yet.

Then 8 hours later I get a text from her that she "has another one for $278".  I said I'd pass, I had enough. And maybe something a little fishy going on here.

I would not keep that $250 one around for very long .... the story of "I just bought something with it for $9" just doesn't seem plausible when she also has a $34 GC on her, which was clearly already used. If there's a way to transfer the amount to another GC, I would (BestBuy and Target both allow you to buy their GCs with other BB/Target GCs, so maybe TRU does as well - I don't have experience with TRU GCs).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I would not keep that $250 one around for very long .... the story of "I just bought something with it for $9" just doesn't seem plausible when she also has a $34 GC on her, which was clearly already used. If there's a way to transfer the amount to another GC, I would (BestBuy and Target both allow you to buy their GCs with other BB/Target GCs, so maybe TRU does as well - I don't have experience with TRU GCs).

You can with TRU GCs as well.  I've done that before - usually to throw a bunch of GCs onto one GC or in a situation similar to what you describe.

21 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

PIN wasn't scratched...just bought $9 of stuff at TRU....

That doesn't add up. AFAIK, TRU always requires PIN, even when checking out in store, so buy another gift card with that ASAP....

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I would not keep that $250 one around for very long .... the story of "I just bought something with it for $9" just doesn't seem plausible when she also has a $34 GC on her, which was clearly already used.

She could be shoplifting + no receipt return.

• Like 2

Since typing the story, I got a little curious.  So I went back to craigslist, and the ad is still up.  I used the email link to reply and tell her I bought the one on Saturday, and was curious about that other one she had.  I asked her how much it was worth, and what she was willing to sell it for.

So, on Saturday she had advertised a $250 gift card and it was worth $241.  Thinking about it, and from comments from other members above, since the PIN was not scratched, the card probably never was worth $250.  It likely always was $241 and some change.

And later Saturday, she texted me saying she had another one for $278.  I still have the text message stating so.

And, here's her reply to the email I sent today asking for info about that afore mentioned $278 card:

"It was 430 . It has sold however. How much on a gift card were you looking for? I could get another."

Yikes.  Can we make some assumptions about how she's going to get another gift card and willingly sell it for a lot less than what it's worth?

What do I do?  Knowing I have a ~$239 gift card that I don't want to submit as evidence........

What do I do?  Knowing I have a ~$239 gift card that I don't want to submit as evidence........

Seems reasonable to tell the store manager the story you told here and show them the craigslist ad.

I ordered a high value Raise gift card for Home Depot a while ago and got a mailed store credit gift card. I asked HD customer service if they could do an online order so that I could use the card (HD website would not allow me to do it) and they explained that they can't because it encourages fraud. Not sure what the whole story is there, but that's the idea. Also could be using a fraudulent credit card to buy them.

• Like 1

So, guilty feelings.  I called the store manager and told him the whole story. 

He looked up the craigslist ad which is still up.  I told him that he or the local police could email the person and set up the purchase of the next gift card.  Left the ball in their court and I'm done with this person.

• Like 7

Credit card fraud is one option. I had this problem with Denny's gift card once. Thankfully Cardpool (who I bought the gc from) was quick to refund me after verifying the problem.

The problem here, I'm guessing (due to the odd gift card amounts), is return fraud. Either buying items for less at other places and returning them at TRU for more store credit or stealing and returning for store credit.

Edited by minicoopers11

Credit card fraud is one option. I had this problem with Denny's gift card once. Thankfully Cardpool (who I bought the gc from) was quick to refund me after verifying the problem.

The problem here, I'm guessing (due to the odd gift card amounts), is return fraud. Either buying items for less at other places and returning them at TRU for more store credit or stealing and returning for store credit.

That sounds like work. I don't want a job.
;-)

He looked up the craigslist ad which is still up.  I told him that he or the local police could email the person and set up the purchase of the next gift card.  Left the ball in their court and I'm done with this person.

That's messed up.  I don't think I'd have the cojones to attempt a gift card transaction via Craigslist.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

I for one applaud you for following through with your gut that something was fishy. There is nothing you can do about the one you bought ... when on the hot seat to buy, it's hard to just walk away because who knows, it could be legit. 

I think your responsibility stops there... you flipped the value to another gift card? I wouldn't feel guilty spending it at this point,

6 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

That's messed up.  I don't think I'd have the cojones to attempt a gift card transaction via Craigslist.

As a buyer or as a seller?

In this case, I don't think the seller is the brightest bulb on the tree.  After all, she specified the meeting place of TRU, theoretically going back to the scene of the crime.

6 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

As a buyer or as a seller?

In this case, I don't think the seller is the brightest bulb on the tree.  After all, she specified the meeting place of TRU, theoretically going back to the scene of the crime.

Either, but yes, the steps you described aren't the smoothest.

My experiences with a father who was a crack addict would say credit card fraud would be the least likely. That's more sophisticated and doesn't explain the odd amounts.

Shop lifting is the most likely. Next is return fraud. She wanted to meet you there and was late because she had stolen items to return, but she miscalculated or overestimated their value. That explains the clean card with an odd value. Her $9 story is an obvious lie.

It is possible that she had unwanted gifts that she returned and got store credit. I do this every child's birthday.

But it's likely she is a shoplifter or a drug dealer. Or more likely works for a drug dealer. Possibly a boyfriend. A neighborhood drug dealer will take new items with tags or gift cards for this very same reason. And once they find a buyer (of the gift cards, because that's the hardest most risky part) they try to unload as much as possible. Thus explaining the generosity and the eagerness to provide more.

It is possible that she had unwanted gifts that she returned and got store credit. I do this every child's birthday.

Ha!
You return your child's gifts from others paid at full price for funds to buy yourself, I mean them, more discounted items.

This cute , scary, and funny all at the same time.

Belongs in the "you might be a reseller if" topic.
;-P

(all in jest!)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, donbee said:

I do this too. First thing I learned when I came to the US: When your children get presents without a gift receipt, they are "regifted" items. I had never heard of the concept before. Now I research which stores sell those items and just return them there for store credit. Other unwanted presents with gift receipt get returned too. My kids then get the value of the gift receipts in money on their bank accounts (or pick a big present from the combined sum), and I get to keep the gift cards.

• Like 5

Ha!
You return your child's gifts from others paid at full price for funds to buy yourself, I mean them, more discounted items.

This cute , scary, and funny all at the same time.

Belongs in the "you might be a reseller if" topic.
;-P

(all in jest!)

I knew I would catch slack for saying that. I considered writing a lengthy justification, but it was late and I knew ppl will either understand or won't (thanks Phil).
I also considered a crude but hilarious version, but feared ppl wouldn't get the joke. So I chose simple to the point.

Point being, there are legitimate methods of obtaining gift cards.
  • Like 1

I knew I would catch slack for saying that. I considered writing a lengthy justification, but it was late and I knew ppl will either understand or won't (thanks Phil).
I also considered a crude but hilarious version, but feared ppl wouldn't get the joke. So I chose simple to the point.

Point being, there are legitimate methods of obtaining gift cards.

It's cool. Glad you can take a joke. :-)

No more guest limits at kid parties!
New year resolution: make Black Friday baby.

Honestly, I might consider this for some kid gifts. Challenge is they are getting old enough to notice and uphill climb for explaining. Something to keep in mind. 