41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

@Darin

Why do you need/want 3000 sq ft for a donut shop? Most don't even need a 1000 sq ft. It's a nice stash, but those sets aren't appreciating at more than $3500 mo (est unused rent by donut shop).

I'm in the food business as well, and would love to acquire extra space for Lego, but the numbers do not make sense at the cost of retail rent. I've actually been considering looking for some industrial space for the dual use but even that doesn't make great numbers sense.

You could probably sub-lease your "storage" space, rent out some office space somewhere else, and come out ahead monthly. Just saying . . .

I blamed myself for getting too busy at work and missed this... .. again.... :D :D :D

Blame it on me. I was selfish and ordered one before I posted it here. No emails went out. I was setting up another order on TRU and just randomly saw it in stock. Talk about sheer dumb luck.

BROCHACHOS,

Made my day xDDD,

(No, really GTA V made my day, but brochachos comes in at second place)

At least I touched someone's life in a positive way finally.

And GTA 5 is freaking incredible. Anyone who doesn't have this game - go get it. The graphics are so smooth and the gameplay is so realistic. I swear I thought I was playing a next gen console.

It is possible, i am dead serious about this, that GTA 5 is the best game Rockstar has ever done. Which is saying something with their stellar track record.

At least I touched someone's life in a positive way finally.

And GTA 5 is freaking incredible. Anyone who doesn't have this game - go get it. The graphics are so smooth and the gameplay is so realistic. I swear I thought I was playing a next gen console.

It is possible, i am dead serious about this, that GTA 5 is the best game Rockstar has ever done. Which is saying something with their stellar track record.

Being the most expensive video game ever, it could be a contender for that title.

@Darin

Why do you need/want 3000 sq ft for a donut shop? Most don't even need a 1000 sq ft. It's a nice stash, but those sets aren't appreciating at more than $3500 mo (est unused rent by donut shop).

I'm in the food business as well, and would love to acquire extra space for Lego, but the numbers do not make sense at the cost of retail rent. I've actually been considering looking for some industrial space for the dual use but even that doesn't make great numbers sense.

You could probably sub-lease your "storage" space, rent out some office space somewhere else, and come out ahead monthly. Just saying . . .

Thx for the suggestion...I've already thought long and hard about the sub-lease thing, but ultimately, decided I didn't want the trouble of sharing the building with another tenant. It makes a whole lot of sense, but I've been doing just fine paying rent for the building myself...been here 10+ yrs.  The reason rent is so expensive, is because its a great corner location, with plenty of parking.  Plus, where would I stash my legos, if I decided to sub-lease? 

That's one of the reasons I'm trying to build my little lego empire....so that I would have enough inventory to have my sets appreciate at least 2k per month.  If I get up to 200k, its quite possible.  All I would need is my sets to appreciate by 1% per month, and that would be a 2k gain.  I can then sell my 2k gain, and still be at 200k on my inventory... Is this making any sense? I'm a little confused =/ lol   Ultimately, my goal is to profit 3-5k per month from this.

4 of the 5 crawlers I ordered from Toys R US Canada were shipped today. One still says back-ordered... but four out of five isn't too bad considering I ordered them a month ago. Did anyone else order some from TRU Canada while they were listed? The 41999 is not even listed on the site anymore.

Neither is the Masterpiece Soundwave that arrived today... the box is huge... and I'm struggling - keep or sell?!

Thx for the suggestion...I've already thought long and hard about the sub-lease thing, but ultimately, decided I didn't want the trouble of sharing the building with another tenant. It makes a whole lot of sense, but I've been doing just fine paying rent for the building myself...been here 10+ yrs.  The reason rent is so expensive, is because its a great corner location, with plenty of parking.  Plus, where would I stash my legos, if I decided to sub-lease? 

That's one of the reasons I'm trying to build my little lego empire....so that I would have enough inventory to have my sets appreciate at least 2k per month.  If I get up to 200k, its quite possible.  All I would need is my sets to appreciate by 1% per month, and that would be a 2k gain.  I can then sell my 2k gain, and still be at 200k on my inventory... Is this making any sense? I'm a little confused =/ lol   Ultimately, my goal is to profit 3-5k per month from this.

From a stats point it makes sense, but I don't know how practicle is. Problem is, if the market drops, your rent probably doesn't. And thats a lot of money when you could probably do better in another area or something of that nature. Emazers just keeps all his stuff right in his house. Not saying that is the smartest thing, but I just don't know that its worth spending that kind of money.

But hey, what do I know? One of you pictures has more stock than I have by myself.

The real question is: would you do anything else with the space if you didn't have the Lego there? From the sound of it, sub-leasing isn't an attractive option to you, and you find the location perfect for your business, so if it's going to be "dead space" anyway, you're actually putting it to some practical financial use and not having to pay other storage fees for your Lego.

Now, if the Lego are in the way of a lucrative sub-lease that you would otherwise entertain, that's another question, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The real question is: would you do anything else with the space if you didn't have the Lego there? From the sound of it, sub-leasing isn't an attractive option to you, and you find the location perfect for your business, so if it's going to be "dead space" anyway, you're actually putting it to some practical financial use and not having to pay other storage fees for your Lego.

Now, if the Lego are in the way of a lucrative sub-lease that you would otherwise entertain, that's another question, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Yeah, it was just dead space.  I was already paying rent for the hole building before I got into legos.

The issue here is, could you have 200k invested in a better way? I mean, I love doing this, but at what point does it make more financial sense to diversify?

Depends on what you feel is a good investment and your definition of it. I have several types of investments - but I can't think of much that is safer than Lego investing with the same type of rewards (if you work at it). 

The stock market can make you lots of money, but lets be honest - most of it makes no freakin sense anyway. My company I work for- which I will not name just for informational reasons (cant be too careful on a public site) - is about a 600-700 million dollar company a year. Last year, we had a "down" year following the best year we had ever had. The year still had our second best revenue ever, but the profit margin missed expectations - mostly because they were based on improving upon our best year ever. Since we are a telecom-equipment providing company, we depend on Service Providers spending money. They didn't last year. So:

1. We lost no market Share

2. Still made a healthy profit

3. Had our second highest revenue year

4. The company itself has NEVER taken a loss in any quarter, ever.

What happens to the stock? loses 65% of its value. How does that make sense?

Where is it now? Well we just have somewhere around 5-8% year over year growth - and the stock is up 40%. Telecom providers are spending again, our market share is the same.

I can't really understand what part of that makes sense to anyone. If it does, they are smarter than I am.

The issue here is, could you have 200k invested in a better way? I mean, I love doing this, but at what point does it make more financial sense to diversify?

Hoping to only invest only about 75-100k cash to get to the 200k in legos.  I've only invested about 25k to reach my 75k in legos right now. Its fun trying to build up my stock, and really doesn't take much of my time. =)

Depends on what you feel is a good investment and your definition of it. I have several types of investments - but I can't think of much that is safer than Lego investing with the same type of rewards (if you work at it). 

The stock market can make you lots of money, but lets be honest - most of it makes no freakin sense anyway. My company I work for- which I will not name just for informational reasons (cant be too careful on a public site) - is about a 600-700 million dollar company a year. Last year, we had a "down" year following the best year we had ever had. The year still had our second best revenue ever, but the profit margin missed expectations - mostly because they were based on improving upon our best year ever. Since we are a telecom-equipment providing company, we depend on Service Providers spending money. They didn't last year. So:

Where is it now? Well we just have somewhere around 5-8% year over year growth - and the stock is up 40%. Telecom providers are spending again, our market share is the same.

I can't really understand what part of that makes sense to anyone. If it does, they are smarter than I am.

I have tried to play the stock market for a couple years on some simulations. Most of the time, I had returns from 5% to 25%. I theoretically made some good money, but I had to spend a lot of money to get a ROI of 5% to 25%. Investing in Lego may be slower, but, if investing correctly, can get you an ROI of over 100% in a few years. I think that the investing in Lego sets is safer than the stock market. There is too much volatility in the stock market, which makes me worry a lot. 

There are hundreds of reasons for this, but the most prevalent I have experienced is the expectations built into the stock price.  For an example, I recently purchased a thousand stock options for Home Depot before they reported earnings last month.  They did great, and I should have made a bundle, but I knew that the price of the stock was already inflated from people thinking the same as I was thinking (that is why I only gambled with stock options instead of buying them outright).  Anyway, since the expectation was already there, the stock price should have only gone up if they beat the market expectations.  And they did! but not enough to offset other news in the housing market and overseas issues.  So they tanked. The stock went down, and I did not make any money.  

The stock market is a strange monster, and it will always be.  I do take reassurance that strong financials will always make a company profitable.  I put large amounts of money into index funds, which have never lost money when looking at a 15 year span  (and they always beat other mutual funds).

I do not know what your company is, but perhaps it did have high expectations, maybe a large reserve of cash that was poorly used, had little expansion compared to the rest of the market, you did not lose market share, but the sector might have lost revenue regardless, is using dated technology, promised to deliver something they did not, or maybe that sector of the market was less attractive than other sectors at the time.  

• Like 2

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join your conversation.

I managed to pick up more than 4 of these from Toys R Us (.ca) on the weekend.  I got a magic "back in stock" email at 1 AM and was up at 6 AM.  I ordered what I thought was reasonable and yet not totally greedy.  I had been reading with envy all of you who were able to just walk into a Lego store and buy 2+ each time, because we don't have a Lego store here!

I'd be happy to even get $400 for each of the ones I want to sell, to pay for some that I'm keeping for myself, other members of my family, and friends (gifts).  The sets here cost more than in the USA ($283 including taxes) with the CDN/USD exchange almost at par, it's basically $280 USD.

So far I haven't had a bite on Bricklink and Kijiji at $400.  I wonder what's happening to the market value on this item...  at least I'll have 90 days to return to Toys R Us if it tanks!   ;)

Locutis

I managed to pick up more than 4 of these from Toys R Us (.ca) on the weekend.  I got a magic "back in stock" email at 1 AM and was up at 6 AM.  I ordered what I thought was reasonable and yet not totally greedy.  I had been reading with envy all of you who were able to just walk into a Lego store and buy 2+ each time, because we don't have a Lego store here!

I'd be happy to even get $400 for each of the ones I want to sell, to pay for some that I'm keeping for myself, other members of my family, and friends (gifts).

So far I haven't had a bite on Bricklink and Kijiji at $400.  I wonder what's happening to the market value on this item...  at least I'll have 90 days to return to Toys R Us if it tanks!   ;)

Locutis

Welcome to BrickPicker, Locutis! In terms of the 41999 tanking...Well I'm sure if you ever feel that that might happen quite a few members would be willing to take it off your hands! :D Hard to lose on a set that's selling for double retail a few weeks after retirement. LOL

Welcome to BrickPicker, Locutis! In terms of the 41999 tanking...Well I'm sure if you ever feel that that might happen quite a few members would be willing to take it off your hands! :D Hard to lose on a set that's selling for double retail a few weeks after retirement. LOL

Some people might not want to pay canadian shipping.  If you happen to live near the border and drive down to the US, u might have luck.  I wouldn't lower the price any tough.  If you absolutely wanted to get rid of them, you do a 3 day bid, but I wouldnt.

I'd be happy to even get $400 for each of the ones I want to sell, to pay for some that I'm keeping for myself, other members of my family, and friends (gifts).  The sets here cost more than in the USA ($283 including taxes) with the CDN/USD exchange almost at par, it's basically $280 USD.

Locutis

Hello, good score on the crawlers this late in the game. I would not be too worry about this thing tanking. The residual worth of this set will pay for itself if you have to part it out in the worst case. People have no problem paying 400 USD for this thing at the moment. Best of luck and thank you for sharing.