79111 - Constitution Train Chase

jaisonline

Anyone else think this set will be parted out (especially if discounted a lot) for the track? It appears to have 16 curved and 4 straight PF tracks in "Dark Bley". The curved tracks are quite costly on the secondary market since flex tracks aren't very popular. As noted, retail price is 99.99. Granted, that might be higher price for parting out (unlike other sets with a decent amount of desirable minifigs. E.g. Jabba's Palace)

I purchased 3 diff train sets for my son (1st & 2nd hogwarts : the 2nd is actually a 85% complete 10132, toy story , and a ghost train) at great prices. Each will have diff purposes: Halloween, Chistmas, and year round set. The only prob is that neither came with track. I ended up buying 4 sealed 9v 4520 sets (curve) plus 6 mint loose 9v straight for much less than 3 boxes of new PF flex track). So when I purchased track using bricklink and then learned about set 79111, it immediately had me thinking about people parting out this set (especially if it turns out to be a dog and sells at decent discounts) or just buying it for the track. PF tracks are expensive especially the retired curved elements (even loose). I've read far more negative reviews than positive about flex. Thus, lego train collectors with track needs who already committed to PF might look at this or the much older 9v dark gray track (9v Light Bley far more costly than dark gray). Maybe because light bley track was produced for less years than dark gray. Set 79111 will probably be a winner regardless of how the Lone Ranger film fares (parted out or sold sealed) It helps 79111's price point (before discount) is below 7939 (cargo @ $175) and 7938 (passenger @ $129 - great deal considering track and PF Items are included). .and the train included looks very cool.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started parting it out the day the LR train set was released.  I was very pleased with the profit.  I probably went through 20 trains.  I stopped about three weeks ago.  Track and cars go fast.  Your profit is the mini figures.  After the movie tanked the figures stopped selling.  Of course you can come down in price, but you start to loose your profit and then it starts to not be worth it.

• Like 1

Guest ph4tb0i

I started parting it out the day the LR train set was released.  I was very pleased with the profit.  I probably went through 20 trains.  I stopped about three weeks ago.  Track and cars go fast.  Your profit is the mini figures.  After the movie tanked the figures stopped selling.  Of course you can come down in price, but you start to loose your profit and then it starts to not be worth it.

I KNOW YOU! You're that guy I bought those Octan cars from on eBay! :D

The pirates movies tanked as well (review wise) but that didn't stop the Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl from doing very well on the secondary market. Why? Because they were PIrate ships. The fact that the Lone Ranger movie tanked probably means that the theme won't perform very well, but the Constitution Train Chase will still do well simply because it is a train, and trains do very well, especially ones that include hard to find track parts and a well done steam locomotive. 

• 2 months later...