Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

Delorean was out 16 months.  I expect this one will be similar and run though this fall or the end of 2015.  I want a lot of this set and only have a handful but there should be some very good buying opportunities coming up.  

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 1

People seem awfully crabby today (maybe the less than stellar sales yesterday are to blame). Oh, the huge manatee, can't we just get along?

Anyway, I am still trying to work out if the new film will be a significant boost to the current set or if they introduce a whole new vehicle that it will warrant a new Ideas project. I am starting to wonder if I should buy a few more but the prices seem to fluctuate quiite a bit.

lets-be-friends.jpg

Just posted this in my other thread, but was at the Paris So-Ouest Lego Store 3 hours ago, and the shelf space for Ecto-1 was fully stocked (about 6 of them on store floor, likely more in the back). If you want em, just phone your order in. You'll be golden I'm sure.

• Like 1

​Unless they decide to provide multiple retailers this set as was done with Delorean.

​Hmmmm why not, but the problem with this theory is, why bother to provide about 900 sets, here and there ?

If we were talking about 9,000 sets I would say "ok" but 900 seems a drop in the ocean. No ? Or maybe these stocks went to lego stores -that would make more sense IMO-

All this talk has me stirred up.

I know a place in town that has some at... (gulp) ...retail

I'm gonna bite the bullet, get there and grab a couple more.

I'm of the persuasion that it's better to be safe than sorry

​The new retirement list came out today. Ecto is not on it. You'll have another year to buy this set IMO.

I guess they probably outsource to the same tech firm.

Anyway, there may well be bigger fish to fry right now than obsessing about Yet Another Hyped Or Over hoarded Ideas set.

​If it goes now, that will stop the over-hoarding problem.  As for hyped, I think it deserves the hype because it is a bloody cute little set.

Perhaps I'm just a noob, but I predict that this one will do well.

​The new retirement list came out today. Ecto is not on it. You'll have another year to buy this set IMO.

​Another year would mean almost a 2 year lifespan. Highly doubtful as *most* Ideas sets don't last that long, but it's opinion either way.

Lots of other sets weren't on the list, either, although TLG is trying (hard) to get rid of them (Exo Suit, 3E).

​If you don't care, might I suggest you don't engage with the people who are theorizing about it?

​You may sugest. I simply pointed out the factual representation of opinions. Something I have been modded for in the past.

​Hmmmm why not, but the problem with this theory is, why bother to provide about 900 sets, here and there ?

If we were talking about 9,000 sets I would say "ok" but 900 seems a drop in the ocean. No ? Or maybe these stocks went to lego stores -that would make more sense IMO-

​If I interpret the graph, they sold about 200 units in a month. Will take them another 4-5 months to sell the remaining stock. Send it to retailers and it will be gone very fast. I remember the quantity of Deloreans delivered to Collishop not being all that much, and they were the only retailer that had them. Possible they sent it to LEGO shops.

I'm a bit confused. Did the list show retired products, or product that will be retired soon?

Edit: I saw it. If you are referring to redghostx's post from yesterday, FYI it is sets that are now officially retired. Of course it isn't because it isn't EOL, but it could be imminent.

Edited by mike_eldorado

• 4 weeks later...