Retiring Soon - open speculation

I just found a bunch of mixels series four at my local Walmart, Do I buy them all? 

For some thoughts It depends.

What series and what price.

series 1 at $1 a piece the entire series? Buy a trailer load

series 2 at $2 a piece the entire series? Buy a trailer load

series 3 at most any price? Skip

Edited by trekgate502
  • Like 1

For some thoughts It depends.

What series and what price.

series 1 at $1 a piece the entire series? Buy a trailer load

series 2 at $2 a piece the entire series? Buy a trailer load

series 3 at most any price? Skip

​Series 3 was seriously overproduced. And by "was" I means "seems to be." Maybe TLG expected a bigger than realized Christmas rush on Mixels? Series 3 was in stores at the time.

Amazon has 16 SOH left , sign ? 

​i thought it was temp out of stock. Didn't at one time LEGO Shop at Home have eta ship date of Sept

"We are sorry that this set is not available. Please check back in September for product availability."

With the house being the center piece of Simpsons, I think we will see it for a bit longer... maybe at least until one more set is released?

Edited by tacsniper

If SOH or Simpsons House do well, it's going to be a learning experience for me. Personally I don't like either, so I won't be buying them, and from what I can see, a lot of other people are following the same route. Maybe it pays to take the take the other route ;)

Is Lego popular in Australia? Search for lego in Sydney Craigslist, only 1 ad. So weird. I know they have some brick cons out that way and such.

If SOH or Simpsons House do well, it's going to be a learning experience for me. Personally I don't like either, so I won't be buying them, and from what I can see, a lot of other people are following the same route. Maybe it pays to take the take the other route ;)

Is Lego popular in Australia? Search for lego in Sydney Craigslist, only 1 ad. So weird. I know they have some brick cons out that way and such.

We use a site called Gumtree instead.

Yes it's popular here, but the market is only about 10% of the size of the US due to our population size. SOH sells very well here but it's widely available and also widely discounted, we can get them for about US$250 here quite regularly. I personally find the size of the set a bit awkward however I think it will do very well here once retired,  it just might take a while.

• Like 1

We use a site called Gumtree instead.

Yes it's popular here, but the market is only about 10% of the size of the US due to our population size. SOH sells very well here but it's widely available and also widely discounted, we can get them for about US$250 here quite regularly. I personally find the size of the set a bit awkward however I think it will do very well here once retired,  it just might take a while.

​Oh cool. Great. Does anybody know the logistics of shipping sets this large from US/Canada? Viable? Also wondering for the Tower Bridge (figures the after market is going to be bigger across the pond ;)).

I guess only Lego collectors in France buy the Eiffel Tower and only collectors in India collect Taj Mahal. Only Corrilians will buy a 10179 and only residents of Lothal will bother grabbing a Tie prototype. It's not what you like, it's the consumer.  We can never really have enough "learning experiences."

Edited by Migration
  • Like 1

I guess only Lego collectors in France buy the Eiffel Tower and only collectors in India collect Taj Mahal. Only Corrilians will buy a 10179 and only residents of Lothal will bother grabbing a Tie prototype. It's not what you like, it's the consumer.  We can never really have enough "learning experiences."

​Sorry, I didn't mean to cause any offence with my own personal purchasing opinions. Yes for sure, and I won't be surprised if I'm wrong, it'll just be interesting for me, and I mean that, because I don't expect it. You're right it is about the consumer, of course, but as a general guidance, I very much try not to buy things I don't personally like. If it fails, it just feels more like "why did you buy this, you only have yourself to blame" rather than "oh well, at least I can open it now" (if more than 1, well, at least I didn't go against my gut).

I do take popularity into account, and region, and the fact there are still many Australians who live in North America. There will be a demand for sure. But with so many people already saying it's overpriced at $400, and there not being sales on it here, I'm interested to see where this goes. Up down the moon who knows! 

What I'm getting at is, out of all the sets on the market right now, this one feels like one of the most 'in the air' to me as a newer investor.

​To be fair, there are a lot of Corellians.  Also, Donald Trump alone is half the secondary market for the Taj Mahal.  His next high profile, ultra exclusive residence tower will be built entirely of white legos.  I'm planning on picking it up for pennies on the dollar after the inevitable bankruptcy, splitting it back up into 10,000,000 Taj Mahals, and making a fortune reselling them as individual sets on eBay. 

• Like 1

Previous creator sets like Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, and Taj Mahal have done very well... Any iconic building recognized around the globe, that also is a world heritage site is more than likely going to do well.  I can't find fault with either the Tower Bridge of Sydney Opera House as investments. 

Personally I dislike the SOH for 2 major reasons: The first being that there appears to be a lot of tedious construction of steps, and the second being that it takes up a ton of horizontal space and virtually no vertical space. I don't have room for that kind of inefficient use of space! :P

That said, when is the last time a set of that size didn't do well? I believe 'never' is the answer.

Previous creator sets like Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, and Taj Mahal have done very well... Any iconic building recognized around the globe, that also is a world heritage site is more than likely going to do well.  I can't find fault with either the Tower Bridge of Sydney Opera House as investments. 

​Exactly... but the problem is that most of us agree and stocked up accordingly. 

Would be interesting to see how many people stocked up on Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and Statue of Liberty. These sets are pretty rare now. Especially NISB. How rare will the current two be?

Probably not as rare, until they get dispersed from resellers to consumers, which tends to occur over a 2 year cycle after EOL.  After that phase, then it might appreciate more nicely.  The question is how many more of these sets were made by lego, then the TM or SOL?  If it's just a few thousand then i think it's safe to say they are safe bets.  If it's 10,000, to 50,000 copies more then you might be right.

I've been perusing these forums for a while now and I think SOH will do well after EOL. I think the fact that it's over priced might actually play to its favour. 

For example, my closest lego store has had 2 in stock since boxing day. I finally bought one of them yesterday and plan on picking up the other if it's still there after my 15 day work shift. Not only that, but everybody else seems to say it's not moving as well other sets (likely due to the fact that the tower bridge is available which the average consumer will find to be a no brainer  when considering which large set to buy). 

If it really isn't selling that well coupled with the fact that it's currently unavailable on LEGO Shop at Home says to me that it's almost curtains at the Opera house.