Retiring Soon - open speculation

16 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Nobody knows how much the horde has and I may have none for all you know ;-) The same was said about the Sopwith Camel and I can now make 2x after fees but, I'm in no rush to sell them.

It could be another TH where they wait until the last minute only to snooze and lose.

I won't be surprised if the VW Camper lasts another 4-5 years as it's a great seller and I always see it being cleared out at my local John Lewis. Hopefully the impatient horde will have offloaded theirs by then!

Sopwith Camel? You mean 3451 first one from years ago? The recent one has been a terrible performer.

Also the days of 10187 are long gone. If you think that was a well hoarded set then, it's nothing compared to today's hoarding levels.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

Sopwith Camel? You mean 3451 first one from years ago? The recent one has been a terrible performer.

Also the days of 10187 are long gone. If you think that was a well hoarded set then, it's nothing compared to today's hoarding levels.

I mean 10226 and considering I only paid £59.99 each for some (with promo) during the LEGO Shop at Home sale before there were strict limits and around £45 each when I caught them on Amazon Italy. If I sold now, I should clear £40 a pop profit after fees which ain't bad and probably 2x if I sold locally for cash. I sold one at Easter for £115. Of course, as I said, I'm going to wait until the horde has offloaded or start to charge higher prices.

I had more 10187 than any other set and that includes the present day!

Nobody knows today's hoarding levels unless you have access to brickfolios and believe what's in them.

If I could only buy sets at RRP from now on, I'd call it a day on investing.

24 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I assure you 10220 has been hoarded in massive quantities for many years. Nobody snoozed, but there is a very good chance everyone will loose with it. Nothing like TH at all.

Here in The Netherlands, while the VW T1 is still available through LEGO Shop at Home for €99,99 with free delivery and VIP points, it's being sold for €90-€95 on Marktplaats (Dutch CL-like site). Despite this set's age it will jump in value after eventual retirement, simply because there are still masses of people who delayed purchasing it while they could, and suddenly realise they're too late.

Or maybe market conditions in The Netherlands are just very different from those in the USA... ;) 

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I mean 10226 and considering I only paid £59.99 each for some (with promo) during the LEGO Shop at Home sale before there were strict limits and around £45 each when I caught them on Amazon Italy. If I sold now, I should clear £40 a pop profit after fees which ain't bad and probably 2x if I sold locally for cash. I sold one at Easter for £115. Of course, as I said, I'm going to wait until the horde has offloaded or start to charge higher prices.

I had more 10187 than any other set and that includes the present day!

Nobody knows today's hoarding levels unless you have access to brickfolios and believe what's in them.

If I could only buy sets at RRP from now on, I'd call it a day on investing.

It is better if a few have many instead of many having a few. 

T1 is interesting because people are buying these in massive quantities on bricklink. Batches of 20, 30 sets at prices slightly higher than retail. That's something you don't really see with other expensive sets (there's some of that going on with the Mini, but 15% below retail and in smaller quantities). Some people seem to betting very big on this one.

EDIT: or I guess it could be for parting out. Opening up 30 boxes and sorting the parts must be fun :logik:

Edited by c_rpg

1 hour ago, c_rpg said:

T1 is interesting because people are buying these in massive quantities on bricklink. Batches of 20, 30 sets at prices slightly higher than retail. That's something you don't really see with other expensive sets (there's some of that going on with the Mini, but 15% below retail and in smaller quantities). Some people seem to betting very big on this one.

EDIT: or I guess it could be for parting out. Opening up 30 boxes and sorting the parts must be fun :logik:

I am not sure if this set is a great investment as there are so many factors to consider and it's time on the market has been a long time.

i do know that when I came out of my dark ages :) this was one of the first sets I had to have. My kids really like it too and I have been to a few peoples houses and they only had 1-5 sets displayed and this was one of them.

i think this is neat set for lego collectors and non lego enthusiasts alike

20 minutes ago, Val-E said:

75087 Anakin´s speeder is C2C@EU SAH. One set that didn´t make it to 3xVIP

This set was a weird one. This was from the 2003 cartoon clone wars so not sure if it really had much of a following or if it will be popular in the future. I personally loved the short series and it is way better than the clone wars.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

75087 Anakin´s speeder is C2C@EU SAH. One set that didn´t make it to 3xVIP

1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

This set was a weird one. This was from the 2003 cartoon clone wars so not sure if it really had much of a following or if it will be popular in the future. I personally loved the short series and it is way better than the clone wars.

walmart exclusive in the US which has rarely been in stock lately around the stores i frequent.  this is the type of set i think is really stupid because it doesn't fit in my narrow minded OT universe that ends up doing well so I held my nose and bought a few discounted at walmart. 

hopefully we get something of substance coming up here.  how's about palace cinema goes bellyup.  that would make my day.

Edited by cladner

On 8/29/2016 at 11:35 PM, Mhd747 said:

So one set which hasn't had much talk is 75103 First Order Transporter. This set is now slowly disappearing from the shelves, and not for the good reason. Most of the seal codes I read where from 2015. The set is still available online in UK, but around me most toy shops are not stocking it anymore or only have 1/2 left

The vehicle was not iconic and didn't get much airtime in TFA, however the one good thing it has going for it is the exclusive Captain Phasma. This set could be a winner if, and it is a big IF Captain Phasma does not get refreshed in another set.

Was just about to mention the exact same thing when i spotted your old post.
With all the deals in the UK lately this one has either been absent from the stockists or not part of any real discount to attract the hoard.  Still available at LEGO Shop at Home and small discount at some retailers but not amazon.
Might not be that iconic but i can see it appealing to a lot of fans down the road...I cant really explain why but i want to liken it to the y-wing in terms of being out shined by the x-wing; but a set that will still have its fans.

I also think the mini-fig selection here make it great for a display piece/army builder type set (kind of like Uruk-Hai army from the LOTR line).

Back on topic - slowly vanishing (and I think this will be one of the winners from the first wave of TFA sets).  Given its suspect availability in the UK I think this will be one of the first to go by Dec.