Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

3 hours ago, spener90 said:

I have had the same thing happen on my Forestmen Hideouts.

on marvel series 2 minifig sets I have had over 20 disputes. Thinking of sending a letter to a few of the people, To ask where they are buying these from, Every order is either 0 or 1 feedback , So I know it's being dropped shipped just need to find out where they are selling them. 

1 hour ago, Tonka858 said:

on marvel series 2 minifig sets I have had over 20 disputes. Thinking of sending a letter to a few of the people, To ask where they are buying these from, Every order is either 0 or 1 feedback , So I know it's being dropped shipped just need to find out where they are selling them. 

My theory is the are selling them on Amazon FBM for bottom barrel prices and then using stolen CC to make the purchases on eBay with these recently aged fake accounts. The velocity on some sets was too high to be eBay drop shipping. I sold around 30 FFL up to $69 and around 80 Boulder Blasters for $60 both well above the going rate. I think the target specific listings and sellers with 1 day shipping. They started targeting some of my other sets but I just kept raising the price until I got above their threshold which seems to be $70.

16 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

My theory is the are selling them on Amazon FBM for bottom barrel prices and then using stolen CC to make the purchases on eBay with these recently aged fake accounts. The velocity on some sets was too high to be eBay drop shipping. I sold around 30 FFL up to $69 and around 80 Boulder Blasters for $60 both well above the going rate. I think the target specific listings and sellers with 1 day shipping. They started targeting some of my other sets but I just kept raising the price until I got above their threshold which seems to be $70.

This is the only logical answer. Amazon is the only place to get that kind of quantity. This is likely one of the FBM sellers tanking listings.

Amazon gets a cut, Toycentric's new business model the scammer gets a cut, and eBay gets screwed. The only one that can put a stop to this would be Amazon, by reinstating gating practices. But they're getting their cut. So they'll continue to let new sellers get ungated, sell as many things as possible before they have enough defects due to items not shipping, then create a new account. 

End result is higher fees on eBay to recover losses, higher revenue for Amazon, higher fees for Amazon (just because), and a scammer getting 100% profit. 

On 2/8/2024 at 11:25 AM, brickvoyeur said:

This is the only logical answer. Amazon is the only place to get that kind of quantity. This is likely one of the FBM sellers tanking listings.

Amazon gets a cut, Toycentric's new business model the scammer gets a cut, and eBay gets screwed. The only one that can put a stop to this would be Amazon, by reinstating gating practices. But they're getting their cut. So they'll continue to let new sellers get ungated, sell as many things as possible before they have enough defects due to items not shipping, then create a new account. 

End result is higher fees on eBay to recover losses, higher revenue for Amazon, higher fees for Amazon (just because), and a scammer getting 100% profit. 

Ebay could implement multi-day holds on orders with address changes from accounts with little past activity.

I received a series of order cancellation notices yesterday -- 8 in 8 minutes for the same set.  These were orders that hadn't been flagged previously and had already been shipped and delivered (some two weeks ago).  At least, it seems, ebay is catching on.

I just wonder what this is going to look like on next year's 1099-K.  At least for now, if I go to Payments/Reports and generate an order report, these cancelled transactions are still showing up in the report (with a payout amount listed).  So, hopefully, I don't have to go back and reconcile differences in the accounting.

On 2/10/2024 at 6:57 PM, Tonka858 said:

I can't imagine how much money ebay must be losing to this, I just got one today for Bonzi they bought in OCT, 

That could just be the buyer trying to get a free set out of their credit card though. 

• 4 weeks later...

Question, this is my first time selling with eBay GSP global shipping. I paid for shipping when creating the shipping label. Then a week later PayPal charged another shipping charge and referenced the same tracking number (a lower $$ number than the initial one). Is this typical? What is the second charge for?

1 hour ago, locidm said:

Question, this is my first time selling with eBay GSP global shipping. I paid for shipping when creating the shipping label. Then a week later PayPal charged another shipping charge and referenced the same tracking number (a lower $$ number than the initial one). Is this typical? What is the second charge for?

That's weird. Granted it's been a while since I shipped something to GSP, but it was always just buy the eBay shipping to get the package to Kentucky and then you're done. The fees collected are a little higher but usually just the extra foreign credit card fee. Did you buy the shipping through eBay or PayPal?

That's weird. Granted it's been a while since I shipped something to GSP, but it was always just buy the eBay shipping to get the package to Kentucky and then you're done. The fees collected are a little higher but usually just the extra foreign credit card fee. Did you buy the shipping through eBay or PayPal?

Through EBay but paid with PayPal. I got an email from eBay after my post saying there is an update to my shipping label. They changed the weight from 6+ lbs to 18 lbs. I know the weight wasn’t off by 13 lbs! Not sure what’s going on.
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

So it seems like these overseas “sellers” have shifted their grift now they are just using stolen CCs and drop shipping directly from Target. 90 units sold in under a month. 

IMG_2185.jpeg

IMG_2184.jpeg

Yea, this is the same play they've been doing for years. Buyers get a discount, thief gets 100% profit, and the actual retail vendor gets screwed.

They used to use Walmart a lot more, but since Walmart started dropping off direct from stores, there isn't tracking numbers. Most buyers just accept the product, but there is increased risk of damage/theft with grocery bags left on doorsteps, and some buyers were savvy enough to file item not received claims and steal from the scammers. It was a strategy shared on some unethical sites to get free things without going through the process to scam a store yourselves. It gives the deniability of saying "see, I bought this on eBay".

• Like 1