79111 - Constitution Train Chase

emazers

My local Target hasn't had a train in about 2 months.

This. I can't believe these are fading away so soon. What's it been, 3 months? Was the movie really so terrible? Even so, I thought these would sell well just because they're the first western themed sets we've had in years. Guess I was wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

My Target still has these yet Walmart hasn't even stocked up on these once at all. Guess they could have room if they actually clearanced something. I'm planning on seeing these in stores for a while like the rest of the year at least.

My local Walmart is resetting their LEGO aisle and just NOW adding the Lone Ranger sets.  It makes me wonder how long Walmart is planning on keeping them in stock.  The rest of the year? Or maybe even beyond? 

My local Walmart is resetting their LEGO aisle and just NOW adding the Lone Ranger sets.  It makes me wonder how long Walmart is planning on keeping them in stock.  The rest of the year? Or maybe even beyond?

Heyyyyy! Thanx for reviving this thread! I had completely forgotten about my $80 Disney Store credit. Time to go shopping

I can see the Lone Ranger sets sitting in stores well into next year at this point. Only four months after this one left in the year is a pretty short shelf span, plus the theme sells moderately at best in Target for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a cool set, and it comes with lots of track which is nice since track isn't cheap.  Should do okay in terms of investment even though the movie tanked, since at the end of the day it's still a Lego train, and people love Lego trains.  For a steam engine though, it doesn't, and will never touch the Emerald Night IMO.

It's a cool set, and it comes with lots of track which is nice since track isn't cheap.  Should do okay in terms of investment even though the movie tanked, since at the end of the day it's still a Lego train, and people love Lego trains.  For a steam engine though, it doesn't, and will never touch the Emerald Night IMO.

With you on that one. Emerald Night is by far the superior model.

• 2 months later...

Really surprised there has been no review on this.

I picked this up over the Black Friday weekend at the LEGO store at 20$ off (no discount online). I mean, even without the discount I have been counting the days to get it ever since it was out.

Pros:

1. First of all, it's a train and it looks great

2. Great number of minifigures, accessories and a horse

3. Full loop of tracks, which is not often scene in train sets of late

Cons:
1. The train is unpowered and it takes a bit of fiddling to fit power functions

2. no driving rods on the wheels but its possible to add them.

• 3 weeks later...

Investing in the 79111 could be a good investment if you have a good enough discount. People love trains no matter what theme they are from. The bad part is that there are no power functions that allow the train to move itself.

True. One can always buy a power function and put it in with the train.

• 4 weeks later...

I've build this set. It is a verry simple build, great for younger children, a bit boring for adults. The train looks great, but I think it is a bit out of scale, compared with other Lego trains (or are old locomotives really that big?).

I wanted to use the train on a 9v track, so I have changed the cole wagon to a 9v wagon. This looks great, but the loc is a bit long toch drive on a bumpy and curvy track. It derails verry easy.

I have also flipped a new 79111 in The Netherlands, the maximum price I could get for it (during the hollidays) was

• 4 months later...

Just found loads of new 79111 from a Japan web site..

After shipping its around US$76, should I bite ??

I don't think that's a big enough discount to be worth it. As previously mentioned, lack of power function will be a turnoff long term. I I have two that I got for $50. I think they will have to sit for a while before I get a solid return. Take that money and go buy some Campers, R2D2, or Emporiums.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker