FORUM RULES, REGULATIONS, FACTS AND ETIQUETTE

I agree, great rules to follow. :ok: Everyone likes Forums that stay free of garbage and are kept up to date. It`s less effort as well just to follow a set of solid rules, rather than post spam and such. Just a waste of space and effort IMHO to go out of your (generally speaking) way to cause issues for everyone else. I think most know this in the back of their minds already, but after reading through these I felt like putting it down. Still surprises me that people still do these kinds of things with little/no thought to common sense. Regardless, I`m grateful to have this post for reference, thank you! 

• Like 2

Guest eightbrick

It looks like a lot of rules, but really they are all just common sense, and not much to ask for. Thanks for posting this, I'm sure it will be helpful in the future to a-many Brickpickers - myself included.

+1!!

(Kidding, kidding, just kidding...  :rofl:  )

Seriously, though, I've moderated forums in the past and it can be like herding cats. This is a great site and I appreciate what you all do to keep it that way.

You beat me to it.   :thumbsup:   Thanks for posting the rules...

• Like 1

Nice set of rules. I think this has something to do with the topic so I will mention it here. Has the down arrow just been removed because of controversy or did I miss something?

The down arrow has been removed. Ed and Jeff found it wasn't being used as they had intended, so it was axed.

The only thing I can think of adding to the great list above is a section about moderators/administrators and what they do on the forums/site. Otherwise the list is insightful for newer members and older members alike.

For those interested in a peak behind the curtain, here's an entry from the mod handbook sent to me by Ed and Jeff:

Section 4 - Moderator Etiquette

The key to being an effective Brickpicker moderator is to take as many hypocritical stances as possible throughout the forums, so that members will focus more on your actions and mistakes than about our most critical mission: assimilation.  The goal is to obscure - be the lightning rod to distract members from realizing their minds are being slowly modified to accept commands from the Site Creators. It is your job, as a moderator, to help the assimilation process in any and every way possible.

Whatever you do, don't tell Jeff and Ed I leaked this.  If they find out, I'm done for.  If you don't hear from me in a few days, you'll know what happened... 

• Like 5

For those interested in a peak behind the curtain, here's an entry from the mod handbook sent to me by Ed and Jeff:

Section 4 - Moderator Etiquette

The key to being an effective Brickpicker moderator is to take as many hypocritical stances as possible throughout the forums, so that members will focus more on your actions and mistakes than about our most critical mission: assimilation.  The goal is to obscure - be the lightning rod to distract members from realizing their minds are being slowly modified to accept commands from the Site Creators. It is your job, as a moderator, to help the assimilation process in any and every way possible.

Whatever you do, don't tell Jeff and Ed I leaked this.  If they find out, I'm done for.  If you don't hear from me in a few days, you'll know what happened... 

Assimilation clearly.

I wondered why I had been muttering to myself soo much lately.

• NO NECROPOSTING:  If a thread has not had a new post in several months, do not post in that thread. This is called "necroposting" and is disruptive to the community as it takes focus away from newer, more active threads. The only exception to this rule is when you want to post strong support for an item in one of the Suggestions forums or you think that an older topic is relevant to today's topics.

Does this mean that newer members like myself shouldn't post in some topic about "which theme is the worst", or some CM poll thread?  I mean, if you start a new topic about a subject it will just be merged, so what is the best way to do this.

Does this mean that newer members like myself shouldn't post in some topic about "which theme is the worst", or some CM poll thread?  I mean, if you start a new topic about a subject it will just be merged, so what is the best way to do this.

In those special cases it would be fine to post in the old thread, since they maintain their relevance over time. This is more related to threads that ask more specific questions.

I thought it might be good to get this modified some. We do have some people (no mods) that jump on thread to be merged - but the merged thread is reallly old, and people may have changed their minds from when it was posted. But, technically they are necroposting if they are reopening a really old one.