6860 - The Batcave

Dr. Brick

Maybe it will EOL soon, but I am not so sure about it. Sets usually have a shelf life of about 2 years. This set is approaching that fast. I would guess that it would EOL sometime in the beginning of 2014. Brickset.com says that the set retired in September 2013. Here is a link.

How long has it been "Temporarily Out of Stock" at LEGO Shop at Home?

I can't decide what I want to do with this set. I have two of them and I am not sure how much of a winner it is. I could keep them both, part one out and make $15ish to $20 or part them both out and get all my money back. Not sure if this could be a $100 set in the future or not. even there I would only pull in $30 after shipping and fees.

I can't decide what I want to do with this set. I have two of them and I am not sure how much of a winner it is. I could keep them both, part one out and make $15ish to $20 or part them both out and get all my money back. Not sure if this could be a $100 set in the future or not. even there I would only pull in $30 after shipping and fees.

What did they cost you?

So do we think this set is EOL? Lego.com lists it to temporarily out of stock and my local Targets are all out as well. Is this the end of this set? What do you think?

Amazon sells it for $69.99. This won't be gone til Christmas. Christmas is when they get loads of sales. Wait til then. After Christmas they like to empty the stock, so wait til then.

If you can part them out in the future for a profit or at least make your money back, I'd just wait and see what happens in terms of growth in value. You can always part an MISB set out, but you can make a parted out set MISB.

It seems that's how they do retirements these days.  The big box would clearance them and leave their online outlet and LEGO Shop at Home at full prices and slowly draw down their stock.  If you missed the boat on the recent sales for the Batcave, you might have to pay full price or move on to something else.  

I have 16 of these so i hope they finish them up soon, hopefully before xmas but wouldn't be surprised if they held out till afterwards for a final push in sales. Despite stocking up on these i don't think they'll be great investments. The mini figures don't do this set justice.

That is very interesting.Maybe certain Lego sets have different release dates in different countries.

My guess is that each country/region has a certain supply. Once that TLG decides to stop shipping out that particular set, the region just sells whatever it has left until its gone, thus the different retirement dates. I'm sure different sets are popular in Germany than the USA.

My guess is that each country/region has a certain supply. Once that TLG decides to stop shipping out that particular set, the region just sells whatever it has left until its gone, thus the different retirement dates. I'm sure different sets are popular in Germany than the USA.

That may explain why the retirement dates on brickset are different for the UK than for the USA. Usually I see that the UK has certain sets for a longer period of time.