Price and Quality Of Shipping Boxes From Staples & Uline.com

emazers

Well I buy 100's of boxes a year or so, either from Staples.com, uline.com or from a box company in Baltimore. Now it seems like Staples.com is the best place to get them, as the Quality is as good as uline.com and the price is way cheaper as Staples has free shipping. As for the Perfect box for the haunted House, Fire Brigade etc, well I got 100 of them from a box company in baltimore for $1.00 each he had 100 of them so I got all 100 but the way it looks I will need more. "But back to Staples and Uline. I ordered 25 of the 20"X16"x4" This is the perfect box for the Volkswagen camper, Friends Olivia's House, 6868 batcave, Etc. and I also ordered 25 of the 15"x12"x4" this box is for the Funhouse, and Orc Forge that I have. From Either site you have to buy the boxes in Bundles, 95% are bundles of 25 or 20. So the Price for these boxes from.

ULine.com

$64.25 Plus $30.28 shipping. $94.53 Total usually you get the boxes 1-2 days delivered.

Now Staples total was $64.74 Free Shipping. So for $30 Cheaper Staples.com is the way to go, the only drawback for staples is you have to order $60 or more for free shipping, and it took a week to get my boxes, as I had them shipped to Staples where I go to the Movies, not sure on how long it takes if they are shipped direct to your house.

So $94.53 from uline.com

or $64.74 from Staples.com and the boxes were the same Quailty.

• Like 8

Thanks emazers, love your posts, always like the info you share. On the topic of box sizes, do you use bubble wrap around your sets? I use 1/2" bubble wrap around the entire set and I order from a local box company similar to ULINE.

ULINE has free S&**** for orders over $300 which is helpful if you can get over that amount to qualify. The company I use is happy to match that free S&**** offer.

Same as you, I try to minimize the box sizes I use to ship various sets to keep things as simple as possible and to be able to take advantage of those 25+ required box bundles. I use a spreadsheet to track length, width and height and then try to fit as many sets into one size as reasonably possible. Looks like this basically:

69it.jpg

^^^^  Can't give you enough likes....nice work on that!!!!!

• Like 3

^^^^  Can't give you enough likes....nice work on that!!!!!

Hey, thanks! It takes a bit of work to put together, but worth the trouble in the long run. I also find it helpful for listing on eBay as well since you have the shipping dimensions and weight all in one place.

I believe ups requires 2 inches of padding on each side in the instance the package gets damaged. Otherwise collecting insurance for the full value of the package contents may seem impossible.

I haven't personally had to deal with a claim yet, but I believe I've read 2-3" of bubble wrap for items as well....I've read horror stories online about people trying to get a claim processed even when they followed the guidelines, but I've also heard good reports from resellers that skimped a bit on packaging, so who knows. Maybe I'll increase the wrapping for the more valuable sets like 4x4 Exclusive and the Imperial Flagship just to try and be safer.

Hey guys, that's pretty much all I have right now. I just do it for myself for the sets I've sold or am in the process of selling.

I get the dimensions from brickset, amazon (usually pretty reliable) or measuring them myself if those sites don't have them. I put the weights in after I've got them ready to ship.

If you have an amex card they are offering $25 statement credit on a $75 purchase at Staples or Staples.com. Log into your amex account online and then click on the "offers for you" tab and it should be there. Every penny helps!

I have used staples in the past for their 24x16x4 boxes. They are the standard 32lb edge crush test boxes you will get from anywhere else. Shipping does take about 10 days to get to your house tho. Also staples only has a small selection of sizes.

I contacted my local packaging companies whose regular prices are always alot more than uline or staples. I asked if they would price match uline as I would prefer to support a local business and they where happy to. Now I get all of my boxes thru the local company with all sizes available. Give your local businesses a shot - uline prices and I can pick up my order the next day.

For bubble wrap the cheapest prices by far that I have found are on ebay.

• Like 2

Maybe we could start an online community spreadsheet or something for the best (cheapest) place to buy shipping supplies.  I've been buying a lot of shipping supplies at Walmart, but I'm thinking there are cheaper sources.

Boxes

Packaging tape

Bubble wrap

Bubble envelopes

I'm a big online shopper, and I save all the packing materials that I get in my orders, especially those air-filled pillow bags. I have big garbage bags filled with these things. It drives my hubby nuts because they take up so much room. But hey they're free!

Anyway, I've found they're a lot lighter than bubble wrap or paper, and work great as space fillers. I still wrap my items first in bubble wrap. Then fill in the empty areas in the box so the item doesn't move around.

I also save all the boxes I get if they're in good shape and can handle a second mailing. I use brown paper tape to cover up all the existing logos, markings, etc. on the box...I find it's a bit neater than scratching things out with a sharpie.

In terms of buying new, I've been going through Staples online. There's always coupons (x amount off on orders over y amount). And if you're a Rewards Member, you get 5% back in Rewards on everything you buy, plus free shipping online. 

I also recently joined my daughter's PTA and one of the member benefits is 10% off on supplies at Staples. I believe this is a perk on the national PTA level, not just a regional thing. May want to look into it if you have the opportunity to join the PTA at your school.

Having purchased from both places, I feel that Uline boxes are a bit sturdier, but the Staples boxes are more than adequate for shipping Lego if you are worth your salt at all at packaging the set. 

Staples.com has a HUGE selection of boxes, not sure why anyone would think their selection is small, they have about any size imaginable in what we are needing for shipping Lego.  I have mine shipped to my house, and it takes under a week, but I'm in the middle of the country and things don't seem to take forever to get to me, either. 

I always keep any packing supplies that I get from the retailers and that helps with the bubble wrap and air pillows, but it would be nice to find some cheap rolls of bubble wrap somewhere or giant bin of peanuts for packaging.

@ Jackson -

How long does that roll of 150' last you?

Staples has no 24x20x4 which I use for sets such as the modulars or 10212. I also prefer to use heavy duty boxes for the more expensive modulars or 10212 which staples does not offer.

Last bubble wrap I bought was 3/16" 24" x 300' for $40 shipped on ebay. It is the industrial quality. Uline equivalent is $61 plus shipping.

I get my tape when it goes on clearance at staples once per year. 

Staples has no 24x20x4 which I use for sets such as the modulars or 10212. I also prefer to use heavy duty boxes for the more expensive modulars or 10212 which staples does not offer.

Last bubble wrap I bought was 3/16" 24" x 300' for $40 shipped on ebay. It is the industrial quality. Uline equivalent is $61 plus shipping.

I get my tape when it goes on clearance at staples once per year. 

They have:

24x20x6

24x24x4

26x20x4

Throw a little bubble wrap in, it'll be fine.  I don't like my sets to be right up against the box anyway.

I'm not here advocating for only Staples boxes or something, just saying that options are there.  If it's the heavy duty-ness that you like, I can totally understand that.  Which is why I use my Lego.com boxes that are much sturdier for sets such as these.

• 1 month later...