Anyone want a REAL challenge?

Quacs

Check out this lot on eBay - it's actually offered for a really good price (I used the new lot calculator and came up with approximately $22K in value counting only one of each set (and there are definitely some with multiples).  You will need a LOT of time to sort, though:

Ridiculous eBay Lego Lot

If you decide to buy it, click this link and BP will get a nice kickback from eBay.

• Like 1

Check out this lot on eBay - it's actually offered for a really good price (I used the new lot calculator and came up with approximately $22K in value counting only one of each set (and there are definitely some with multiples).  You will need a LOT of time to sort, though:

Ridiculous eBay Lego Lot

If you decide to buy it, click this link and BP will get a nice kickback from eBay.

Thanks for sharing. That would take me a LONG time to get through the whole lot. Now I wish I had $7,500 laying around so I could spend it on this lot.

Auctions like this will never cease to amaze me.  When I look at a lot like this I almost figure it's worth that much less for being such a mess.  I can't imagine it would turn a profit if you had to pay a person even minimum wage to sort all those Lego into something even mildly organized.

Ridiculous eBay Lego Lot

Did you calculate it with used prices?  I got closer to 14k in a hand calculation...could indicate some trouble with the lot calculator.

It will likely be far less than 1200 to ship.

Did you calculate it with used prices?  I got closer to 14k in a hand calculation...could indicate some trouble with the lot calculator.

It will likely be far less than 1200 to ship.

Sauromosis, you are right.  I didn't change every "new" flag to "used", so the $22K is a calculation of the new price.  Good catch.

The lot calculator is fine - it was definitely user error on my part with the $22k valuation.

• Like 1

Sauromosis, you are right.  I didn't change every "new" flag to "used", so the $22K is a calculation of the new price.  Good catch.

The lot calculator is fine - it was definitely user error on my part with the $22k valuation.

I just checked and all the Star Wars sets are valued about $5,500 for those sets. The rest of the sets should add to about $14,000.

This guy owes you a set Quacs...the "views per hour" have jumped up considerably.  I've been watching this since the first listing, it has been relisted three times.  He isn't very open to counter offers.

This is a quintessential "proud owner" selling his collection.  I can understand getting rid of a collection that great would be difficult, but if you're going to provide the "Best Offer" option, you have to be prepared for the lowballing.

The price per pound is in the 6.00 range(without shipping) which to me is a steep price at 800lbs. Sorting through that many sets is not ideal but if the price was say 5.50 a lb then this would be steal on that alone.

The description claims the pieces are sorted by color and type, although the pictures don't clearly show this.  If all of the pieces were sorted accordingly, would that change your valuation, or would you still only consider it investable at $5.50/lb?  I actually don't deal in bulk lots, so I'm curious what you think.

The description claims the pieces are sorted by color and type, although the pictures don't clearly show this.  If all of the pieces were sorted accordingly, would that change your valuation, or would you still only consider it investable at $5.50/lb?  I actually don't deal in bulk lots, so I'm curious what you think.

Looks like someone is preparing for a big purchase...

If I lived closer to IL we could go half and half! :D

It actually sets up to be a good "split" lot.  The biggest logistical problem would be figuring out how to split the pieces so that both/all parties would get their respective sets.

For the record, I am definitely not intersted in this lot - I just think it's an amazing collection that could make someone some good $ and occupy fourteen years of their life :sweat: .