Here is how I box up my Lego sets to be mailed

emazers

I been getting alot of questions on how I box up my Lego sets to be mailed. First thing I only use Bubble Wrap on maybe 5% of the sets I mail. I use that Brown and White Packaging paper that alot of companies use to ship stuff. I get mine from those GNC Vitamin stores, they throw boxes of it away. I put the Lego set in the box, then I take the paper and stuff it in between the Lego set and the box, then I put a few layers on top of the Lego set, then I take a Priority mail, Fedex box on top. and then close and tape the box up. Now I have mailed thousands of boxes this way, and none have ever got damaged, plus with this size box there is not enough room to use Bubble Wrap, except for the real thin Bubble Wrap that is no good. So on the sets like the Helm's Deep, VC, Black Pearl etc I use the 24x4x16. And for the Volkswagen camper,Olivia's House, batcave, Etc I use the 20x4x16. Since Bubble Wrap is not cheap I save Hundreds of Dollars and more on using the Paper. Check the Pictures Below.   Ed

ff02rs.jpg

166kkfp.jpg

9htnbq.jpg

296om8i.jpg

dmtgd5.jpg

vpzr5w.jpg

296ns4m.jpg

• Like 5

Guest eightbrick

So...hate to be a wet blanket...but if the post office found out what you were doing with those priority boxes you could be in deep doo doo.

I was going to ask... is that just to take up room so it doesn't move around?

I was going to ask... is that just to take up room so it doesn't move around?

I think the idea of putting extra cardboard in like that is a great one. However, you could find yourself in trouble with the Post Office if they catch you doing it. When you order those boxes online, which I often do, they make you sign something saying they will only be used for the purpose they were made for. It's up to you if you want to take the risk.

Guest TabbyBoy

I tend to get free boxes from supermarkets and I also get rice-based loose-fill (a bit like Wotsits) from a computer company's skip (dumpster) near where I live.  I ALWAYS put the set in a sealed bag as it rains a hell of a lot in the UK.  I do have some purpose-made double-walled boxes for the expensive sets.  For cheap/small sets, I just put them in a Jiffy bag or cover with kraft paper.

Guest TabbyBoy

Uline has their boxes on sale, I just made an order the other day. Use code SP365.

The 24x16x4 boxes are usually $1.42 for 25, on sale for $1.07.

In the UK, they cost that..... each!  Hence, I beg, steal and borrow what I can.

This is part of the reason why I also buy single sets from LEGO Shop at Home so that it's already packed to go.

• 10 months later...

I used to use bubble wrap, by the roll, it's fairly cheap & easy to dispense from a PVC pipe mounted under the packing table. My supplier will cut to custom widths for $5.00 per roll, feeding it up around the end of the table through a slide cutter has reduced packing time exponentially.  Then by chance I put a winning bid in on packing peanuts from the government surplus site - they only pictured boxes & an 8' bag (worth about $60) bid $40, had to make 3 trips in my truck to pick up all 14 bags.  so sooo many foam nurdles, they're everywhere!

I also use the brown kraft paper...I get rolls from either Amazon or Staples (when they are running coupon specials for shipping supplies, they do 40% sometimes).  I formerly used bubble wrap on hundreds of sets, but found that from a cost perspective the paper is about 4-5 times cheaper, provides the same or better protection (you can shape it into "logs" and "rolls" to wedge into the sides around the sets better), and having a cutter/dispenser cuts a lot of prep time on the boxing.  For expensive exclusives I will use bubble wrap on occasion.  Not had any shipping damages in 3 years...

On another note...looking at your boxes emazers, you use a lot of tape!   I go down the center 3 times on each side, even on the large 24x16x4, and this holds well - never had one bust loose when I buy the valuemailers tape from Amazon.

This his how I boxed up 12 Exo-Suits last Aug (to Singapore). The corner and side braces really help when other boxes are thrown on top of it during transit. 90% of my sets are packed this way especially larger ones.

ja, did you use USPS to mail that package ? I heard they give people trouble for using their free Priority Mail boxes for things outside flat rate shipping

i use usps priority express international 90% of the time and it wasn't flat rate.  not sure if usps opened the shipping box. 

ja, did you use USPS to mail that package ? I heard they give people trouble for using their free Priority Mail boxes for things outside flat rate shipping

• Like 1