75020 - Jabba's Sail Barge

Lateral-G

Yes, I was cheering the retirement announcement on this one when I saw that.

I tend to believe they won't be making a new Sail Barge for quite some time.  The only thing that they could do to improve this would be a UCS version of it, and I doubt that happens in the next 5 years, but I could see that happening eventually.  I definitely agree with the previous two posts that this is one you hold.   I'm sitting on a few of these, and bought most of them around 85.00 by using online sales, discounts, and points.  Those days are more than likely over unless somehow B&****** gives a 40% off on a toy that doesn't exclude lego.  There's a few of these left out at B&****** stores, but only if you want to pay 119.99 with a 10% discount.  I live in a state with a high sales tax, so i'd rather put that money into other exclusives like the red 5, ev, ToO, etc at the moment then buy any more of these.

The republic gunship which was released at the same time, and at the same price is already fetching around 170.00 on ebay and that one is mostly gone from every retail outlet including B&****** and TRU.. I'm at least holding both the Sail Barges, and Gunships I bought until Christmas 2016, but might wait a bit longer than that.  I actually think this one could fetch well above 200.00 and hit 250.00 in the future, it's just going to take a few years.  You have to wait out the sketchy investors that dump their stock too quickly once they think they can make a 20.00 profit.  Once that era ends, then it's up up and away with this one, the rancor pit, etc.

Agreed. Well said  

My general philosophy is that any original trilogy-based Star Wars LEGO set with an MSRP over $100 that can be had at greater than 25% discount (e.***. bogo 50%), is a buy.

This set which has some cool minifigures and is an iconic scene will do well once people can't have it and thus they want it.

Come this time next year I expect this is getting to $170.  This set's 2013 sibling, the republic gunship is already getting this on ebay.

At the same time, with the new movies coming out, we might get lucky and interval between rehashing gets stretched out to accomodate the newer sets.

For me this is a medium term hold - 1-2 years. 

​Yes, please do your homework before making statements such as this.  It's very misleading to new members.

I could have helped by acknowledging the drop in value, due to the remake, instead of assuming that people knew that it decreased by 40%.

• Like 1

​Wow, you really have something against me don't you.

​hi legowalker,

like excite posted above, we don't have hard feelings against members.  that wouldn't be fair or helpful to members.   we are a community of members that share a passion for lego.

all of the mods (plus jeff and ed) just want to make sure comments posted as factual (not really opinionated) are accurate.   e.h. the first sail barge did quite well after retirement (ROI-wise) up until 75020 was released.

Legowalker, I think you should hold your SB sets.

I think even the old sail barge will rise again in value...  Think about it this way.  When the new set was released, it basically hampered the secondary market on the old one.  When a new buyer can purchase the new sail barge on the market for 119.99 or lower, and the other one was going for 300, most people are going to opt for the new one.   Now that both are in the hands of the secondary market, both will probably be comparable in price again.  I wouldn't doubt the old one goes back up into the 200 to 250 range quite quickly.  It already looks like it is getting a steady rise upwards again, and once the march/april data is released on this site, I bet we see it swing up again.  Also, it's getting more rare as a horded item as time goes on so it may go higher than that.  Add in that there are going to be a lot of new SW fans flooding into this world come December 18th, and these two sets are going to have some old fashioned demand.  There's no Jabba the Hutt currently in a set that isn't EOL, and so this one will be valued by some. Don't let that dip fool you.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Give it time.  I pulled one out of a Barnes and Noble that had still been sitting there for a year plus on black Friday Weekend.  I will be honest I QFLL it also so I made a buck on it.  I have a number of these in inventory that I plan on sitting one for another year or so.  The demand will be there, it is just this was so widely available  after retirement  that the boom you would expect hasn't hit yet. 

was a bit late to buy in at sail barge, regretted it first, but the average sail price has risen a bit in the last weeks so still got hope. in comparison, jabbas palace sticks to the same level as it was 2 months ago.

Edited by Hogi
typo

6 hours ago, MarxMarvelous said:

Yep, and one thing massive corporations never do is the opposite of what they said in the past.

Without getting too far into it. We are in a different time regarding political correctness.

In the Star Trek movie they changed the saying "Go where no man has gone before" to "Go where no one has gone before". Compared to Female slavery in skimpy outfits... lol.. I don't foresee her returning.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

I remember when McDonalds said they would NEVER put kale on their "food". A year later they were testing kale in different markets. Never say never.

That is a completely different situation. That was a "positive" market trend towards something healthier. Unless you consider slavery and objectification to be positive trends,  this is a shift away from such things and wont return until the devolution of our culture. 

• Like 1