• Grand Emporium
    • Pet Shop
    • Town Hall
    • Palace Cinema
    • Parisian Restaurant
    • Detective's Office
    • Brick Bank
    • Assembly Square

Just naming a set that increased a lot immediately upon EOL. Nothing really to do with the modulars though. xD

I understand, you were just making a friendly comparison. It isn't a building or even a City set, but your point is valid.

Holy cow....

Grand Emporium is up to 18 votes!

Palace Cinema & Fire Brigade only budged by one; rest are the same as before.

Now I know that the Haunted House is not a modular, but if it was would you have voted for it?

Show of hands for the Haunted House!

I understand, you were just making a friendly comparison. It isn't a building or even a City set, but your point is valid.

Holy cow....

Grand Emporium is up to 18 votes!

Palace Cinema & Fire Brigade only budged by one; rest are the same as before.

Now I know that the Haunted House is not a modular, but if it was would you have voted for it?

Show of hands for the Haunted House!

I think it should be on the list.....I have always considered it a modular.

I think that all of the modulars will increase in value upon EOL to some degree, but when and how much are the big questions. I bet that we won't see as much of an increase as a Corner Cafe or a Market Street or even a Imperial Shuttle. We will probably see something like a $50 increase right after EOL like kerrmando said.How did the IS get thrown into that sentence???Just naming a set that increased a lot immediately upon EOL. Nothing really to do with the modulars though. xDIm just bustin your chops man!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

A library, I'm thinking of the old turn-of-the-century kind, like the in downtown Cleveland with great architecture and amazing reading rooms. They can be beautiful architecturally, neo-classical or Victorian. Our family goes to the library weekly, so I'm sure my daughter's Lego Friends would visit it. They can use the computers, browse the stacks, or sit down in the kid's section for story hour... Its an integral part of a city culture, but people seem to overlook it. A city service that doesn't involve fire or police would be a novelty for Lego. I guess Town Hall is a city service, if you want to get married. I like a lot of the ideas other people have generated.

All great ideas but I dont think we will ever see anything like a bar.....after all LEGO is first and foremost a kids toy, as much as that pains me to say. The city police dont even carry guns for crying out loud! I get what you're dishing though!!

A club with light bricks would be awesome... How about an oldschool hotel?

• 2 weeks later...

I know the performance of the old three is legendary, it appears the industry is changing so much now with not a single one discontinued in 3 years. Personally, almost 1/4 of my lego investments are various modulars, if these didn't do well, I would be hit pretty hard. These sets are nearly impossible to find for cheap, I know many of them have been a few dollars off at one time or another but compared to the store discounts that many people here find on smaller sets, there is just no comparison, your entry point will be much closer to retail with these sets, making true growth a lot harder to yield. For example, many people here are grabbing or have grabbed LOTR/Monster Fighters sets for 25-70% off of retail, if we can find a modular for 10-20% we are all over it. I am curious if anyone here has moved their investments over to sets that EOL on a more routine pace rather than sticking to the old practice of heavily loading up on the biggest sets just because they are historic winners. It seems to be a fairly recent trend of Lego to keep sets around this long, while I have little doubt that they may perform decent in the long run, is anyone else questioning these? Let me just disclaim that I am not trying to be a doomsayer or anything of the sort, I just like to process things really well and I have my doubts that these are as good of choices as we have made them out to be. They may be "solid" but are they a going to really grow as well as a lot of the other sets out there now?

Totally true, as long as you don't plan on opening them, you will get your money back on what you paid for them. Super worst case scenario, you lose a few dollars on each from shipping/tax time wasted....But even if you paid 250 for a set and got back 220 it wouldn't be the end of the world considering the money was taking a bunch of space up on your shelves.

I am not in this to break even, I want to see stupid big growths, I know that we don't "know" what a set will do, but do you think they are worth investing a large port of ones brickfolio in from now on?

In my opinion I would invest no more than 10%-15% of your portfolio in modulars rather than 25%, as 1/4 of your portfolio in modulars is too much IMO. These are already taking forever to EOL and are far from under the radar now as so many people have stockpiled them, so there will be more competition when you do sell them. At that percentage you will still have exposure to some nice gains yet won't break the bank if they don't increase as much as you'd like.

I am not in this to break even, I want to see stupid big growths, I know that we don't "know" what a set will do, but do you think they are worth investing a large port of ones brickfolio in from now on?

Personally I would not invest in these heavily. Maybe a few of each would be okay, but I would not make them 25% of my portfolio. Also I think the days of ridiculous big growth with modulars are over. In my opinion, the current modulars will never hit $1000+ like the CC and MS have, and like the GG will eventually. I would hold onto a couple of each to be safe, but if you're looking to make big gains invest your money in sets that are more rare. Unfortunately modulars are not rare anymore, and the time they remain on the shelf at Lego is way longer than the time that the first 3 were.

Currently I have two Fire Brigades, five Grand Emporiums and seven Pet Shops, my average price paid is $105 after tax and shipping. I was going to grab some more Grand Emporiums but I may just sit tight on the modular front for a few years until the Town Hall and Palace Cinema get closer to EOL. I really just grab sets as I get them cheap, I would like to get some more rare sets but if I don't have many, its because I haven't found them for the prices I'd like.

Currently I have two Fire Brigades, five Grand Emporiums and seven Pet Shops, my average price paid is $105 after tax and shipping. I was going to grab some more Grand Emporiums but I may just sit tight on the modular front for a few years until the Town Hall and Palace Cinema get closer to EOL. I really just grab sets as I get them cheap, I would like to get some more rare sets but if I don't have many, its because I haven't found them for the prices I'd like.

With an average price of only $105 you're definitely safe. You could sell some now for a small profit/break even if you wanted to. I'd probably just sit on what you have for now and not buy anymore modulars until we get confirmation that one of them is truely retiring. Once we know one of them is retiring then I would buy, buy, buy. Some will argue waiting till the last minute is risky, but I don't see any of them being huge invest winners like the modulars of the past anyways.

Like others I do think the days of the early modulars big returns are over for the rest of the Modular line. It's just a supply and demand thing. Sure demand will still be high, perhaps even higher than before. But I think supply side there has been a massive increase in numbers of these sets produced and sold as TLG have seen the popularity of the Modular line. I think the current crop will see good returns, but not spectacular ones.