10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

I was just coming out of the dark ages when TH pulled its sudden retirement. I managed to grab one in the final days. Here is my dilemma: my single copy sits on the shelf in mint condition, but I HAVE to have one copy for my modular building collection. Used copies are starting to creep up on eBay and bricklink, but I can probably grab a set for $400-$450.

Do I concede that I missed the boat on this set and crack the seals on my only copy for personal build. In this case I invest the $450 in other exclusives like 3 X Palace Cinemas.

Or spend my $450 now to buy a used copy for my modular street and keep my NISB for a rainy day in case the prices get really up there in a few years.

Simply put, for my $650 buy in, am I better long term with 1 TH built + 1 TH MISB or 1 TH built + 3 PC MISB?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Buy a used one right now.

But man you're really late to realize that you missed the boat.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

I was just coming out of the dark ages when TH pulled its sudden retirement. I managed to grab one in the final days. Here is my dilemma: my single copy sits on the shelf in mint condition, but I HAVE to have one copy for my modular building collection. Used copies are starting to creep up on eBay and bricklink, but I can probably grab a set for $400-$450.

Do I concede that I missed the boat on this set and crack the seals on my only copy for personal build. In this case I invest the $450 in other exclusives like 3 X Palace Cinemas.

Or spend my $450 now to buy a used copy for my modular street and keep my NISB for a rainy day in case the prices get really up there in a few years.

Simply put, for my $650 buy in, am I better long term with 1 TH built + 1 TH MISB or 1 TH built + 3 PC MISB?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

If you want to keep & build a Town Hall anyway, I'd go with your first option. 3 Palace Cinemas (or another good grower) are going to be worth more than a single Town Hall. My 2c.

• Like 1

I would just build it. But that's just me, not saying that's the most reasonable thing to do from a financial point of view.

Regardless, mid to long term, CAGR for 3x PS (or PC if you buy into the early retirement hype) will most likely be better than 1x TH.

• Like 1

If you have limited resources just build and enjoy it. Just accept you missed the boat and move on to the next oppurtunity. Palace Cinema or ...

However... if you have unlimited resources buy the one for $450. I believe there is still enough space for growth on this one. As I've mentioned before... an MISB GG could be bought in January last year for 450 euro. Now, to get this set you will have to throw 700 to 800 euro on the table minimum.

I still believe Town Hall will become scarce very soon. Also cause the end-user mostly will open and build it and add it to the personal collection.

The longer you wait, the more difficult your decision will become to pull the trigger.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, as we edge towards the end of the month, current minimum Ebay prices look to be at 550 USD / 420 euros and bricklink sales remain a tad behind but consistent in numbers which is a good sign as most resellers will probably have given up on acquiring this one at these prices.

Stock levels are not thinning out much as more seasoned investors start to list their wares as the prices move towards what they are looking to make.

Used ones are also trading for much higher than RRP which is an excellent sign.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Listings on Ebay Germany have shrunk significantly. Cheapest BIN is now 444 euro.

I really start to wonder where this set will be Xmas 2016!

Also it is nice to sit back and watch these wonderful developments. Unfortunately I do not like popcorn so much. 

On BL it is the opposite as the number keeps on growing but min prices in euros there are also nudging 450 euros.

By Xmas 2016 it should be at where GG prices are now if the modular series remains popular and stock has thinned out.

• Like 2

Although the golden age of lego investment is over, its quite refreshing to watch developments like this....it makes me smile and it proves that investing in Lego can be fun & unpredictable! ;)

I have some of this, but I wished I could have more. I remember less than a year ago I was in John Lewis and I was dithering whether I should buy these 2-3 boxes on the shelf. They were super battered and worn out, but I am sure that even they would sell now in the region of £350!!! Oh well...I can't be so greedy after all, I have some and that's good enough

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Wish I had bought a Town Hall to build. If i buy one now for investing do you think I will make a profit a year or two down the road?

I would say the ship has sailed for investing. You would make money but there are better buys now. The fastest appreciation has already taken place. 

June will be the first month in a while with 0 to negative growth so keep your eyes peeled - some impatient resellers are already discounting so there may still be opportunities over the summer.

Of course, as prices stiff, it will take longer to turn a profit......