10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

There should be a section on brick picker titled, "Emazers says". It would make keeping up with his sage advice much easier. I do say that in all reverence.

I have noticed a number of these types of posts recently and feel compelled to comment. 

Look, I like Ed.  I have traded a number of PMs with him since I became a member and he has been very generous with his advice.  He has obviously earned the respect he receives here, but can we stop with the worshipping?  Ed's a regular guy, just like the rest of us, who has been at the game for a long time and made some great money doing it. 

Again, he deserves to be considered a top member and a veteran reseller.  I just get a little creeped out when people start referring to him as God-like.  He enjoys movies just like you and me and he's not walking on water anytime soon (that I know of).

Please understand this has nothing to do with Ed - I think he provides insightful posts and is an upstanding member.

*edit* LegoHULK just beat me to the punch with his post.

• Like 5

I have noticed a number of these types of posts recently and feel compelled to comment. 

Look, I like Ed.  I have traded a number of PMs with him since I became a member and he has been very generous with his advice.  He has obviously earned the respect he receives here, but can we stop with the worshipping?  Ed's a regular guy, just like the rest of us, who has been at the game for a long time and made some great money doing it. 

Again, he deserves to be considered a top member and a veteran reseller.  I just get a little creeped out when people start referring to him as God-like.  He enjoys movies just like you and me and he's not walking on water anytime soon (that I know of).

Please understand this has nothing to do with Ed - I think he provides insightful posts and is an upstanding member.

*edit* LegoHULK just beat me to the punch with his post.

Don't worry mate,

Eventually you will get your god-like status.

• Like 1

Everyone has their own investment strategies. Everyone works out what is best for them, whether it is working out what sets to buy with their pocket money to flipping smaller sets to large from profits to just buying 10 big sets and waiting for them to increase. You either listen to what Ed says or you don't, no more than anyone else on this site, or stockbroking site or any site which involves financial risk. At the end of the day, he isn't forcing you to part with your finances, you do that on your own. There is money to be made if you do your research.

Now I see how people can just go out there and create cults and have people follow them.  I think Emazers posts some good things, but it's really nothing more than some decent common sense.  If more people just spend a little time doing their own research and looking at the data that is in front of them, they can make many of the same statements on their own.

I would agree.  I appreciate what Ed does, but if you take the time to research on your own, you can figure out different ways of investing.  Ed has a particular way of holding for a while, but I know there are plenty of us on here who have no intention of waiting for a set to mature for more than a year or two.  I feel a lot of people kiss up, and it takes away from the general conversation that this site is meant to be about.

• Like 4

Sage = wise = insightful

I said neither to worship nor referred to Emazers as god-like.

He obviously has some good info that would benefit everyone here. That is all I was saying.

Part of researching is listening to many people who have proven themselves and Emazers is just

one of those. It was merely my way of saying kudos to someone who obviously has done his homework.

Apparently I buised some egos and that was not my intent.

• Like 2

Sage = wise = insightful

I said neither to worship nor referred to Emazers as god-like.

He obviously has some good info that would benefit everyone here. That is all I was saying.

Part of researching is listening to many people who have proven themselves and Emazers is just

one of those. It was merely my way of saying kudos to someone who obviously has done his homework.

Apparently I buised some egos and that was not my intent.

We aren't trying to attack you or anything.  There is just a difference between a simple "thank you" and propping a guy up on a pedestal, which appears to be what many keep doing.

We aren't trying to attack you or anything.  There is just a difference between a simple "thank you" and propping a guy up on a pedestal, which appears to be what many keep doing.

I had a long reply written, but Spener hit it on the head.  I have no issues with you, Ed, or even SuperLegoTramp who provided that wonderful troll in response to my post.

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

Whoa. You guys really let the floodgates back. Way back. We can't all just turn around and complain about the massive amount of respect emazers gets when we are the ones who put him there. Yeah, anyone can predict future returns, but it's a lot cooler to hear them from this site's Warren Buffet equivalent than it would be to hear it from me or any other smhuck. When you are new to the site, within a week you are probably going to learn from the attitude of current site members that emazers is the top source for information, an experienced investor. If you arrive at a new school, you figure out who the top dogs are pretty quick. And emazers is about the nicest "top dog" you are ever going to meet. But the only reason those people are top dogs is because we put them there.

I'm not arguing against what you guys just did, but there were and are probably better ways of handling this situation. Scale back a "wow you're amazing man!" to a "good advice, thx" next time he posts and after awhile it will go a long way. I don't even think that Darthpunk was being entirely serious, the way I read his first comment it seemed more amusing than anything. Instead of scaling back, we ended up with one comment about his high-level status, and then another, and then the flood came. That is what I see as the main problem here. When you see someone post something new, and it gets a bunch of likes, and then another person and another repeat the exact same thing with slightly different wording and get even more likes it is quite intimidating to you if you are not part of that, especially if you are new. When I was a newbie I remember a couple times I got "ganged up on" and conformed. Go against the flow, and you will get beaten down (I almost guarantee you that had that little red button still been there a couple people's fingers might have "slipped" on this post). Just remember how we drove away the emes until now he mostly just lurks. I don't want that to happen again, especially not to Ed.

Ed is a great guy, and I am probably partial to the advice he gives out just because of how I perceived him when I was new. I just hope that after we just knocked him off the throne we put him on ourselves he still posts here.

Whoa. You guys really let the floodgates back. Way back. We can't all just turn around and complain about the massive amount of respect emazers gets when we are the ones who put him there. Yeah, anyone can predict future returns, but it's a lot cooler to hear them from this site's Warren Buffet equivalent than it would be to hear it from me or any other smhuck. When you are new to the site, within a week you are probably going to learn from the attitude of current site members that emazers is the top source for information, an experienced investor. If you arrive at a new school, you figure out who the top dogs are pretty quick. And emazers is about the nicest "top dog" you are ever going to meet. But the only reason those people are top dogs is because we put them there.

I'm not arguing against what you guys just did, but there were and are probably better ways of handling this situation. Scale back a "wow you're amazing man!" to a "good advice, thx" next time he posts and after awhile it will go a long way. I don't even think that Darthpunk was being entirely serious, the way I read his first comment it seemed more amusing than anything. Instead of scaling back, we ended up with one comment about his high-level status, and then another, and then the flood came. That is what I see as the main problem here. When you see someone post something new, and it gets a bunch of likes, and then another person and another repeat the exact same thing with slightly different wording and get even more likes it is quite intimidating to you if you are not part of that, especially if you are new. When I was a newbie I remember a couple times I got "ganged up on" and conformed. Go against the flow, and you will get beaten down (I almost guarantee you that had that little red button still been there a couple people's fingers might have "slipped" on this post). Just remember how we drove away the emes until now he mostly just lurks. I don't want that to happen again, especially not to Ed.

Ed is a great guy, and I am probably partial to the advice he gives out just because of how I perceived him when I was new. I just hope that after we just knocked him off the throne we put him on ourselves he still posts here.

Nobody knocked him off of a throne.  There was never a throne to begin with.  I appreciate Ed's advice when it comes to knowing when sets will EOL, but I really run in a completely different direction when it comes to the way I invest.  I know a lot of people on here do the same thing.  We are all (mostly) adults on this site, and contribute different thoughts each day.  While there is nothing wrong with viewing one members thoughts highly, I would urge anyone who bases there purchases on what someone on here advises (even if it's me), to rethink how they play this game.  Also, Ed understands that we aren't being critical of him, we are just trying to keep the conversation in the right place.

Also, I believe emes lurks because of how many random questions being asked by new people on here, "If I have $500 what should I invest in?"

• Like 2

I honestly don't go by his advice, just his FACTS. If he has "inside" information that is not readily available to Joe Q Public, I am all ears. Thus my post earlier on this thread asking if he could confirm if the TB was on the order sheet. If he had said "I believe it to be going away" I would have taken it as an opinion, nothing more. Ed has some great insights and great information, but as with everything, I do my own research.

I don't no why people are at panic mode on the Tower Bridge, because Amazon ran out, but they said more on the way and Lego is getting more in, if the set does retire it won't be til the end of the year, I been buying Tower Bridges using VIP points or Lego Coupons and when Amazon had a sale or to in the last 2 years. And everybody has been reporting rumors about this person at Lego said this is retiring, The Death Star and SSDS are retiring, some at the end of the year and some at the end of 2014.Even the guy that gives me the Lego wholesale form to check whats retiring etc says there are rumors the Tower Bridge and Haunted House are still on until Dec 2014. So unless you have extra money or extra VIP Points don't panic buying the Tower Bridge just yet. Me myself I hope they both don't retire until next year, because these are the 2 I want plenty of. Ed

• Like 1

I don't no why people are at panic mode on the Tower Bridge, because Amazon ran out, but they said more on the way and Lego is getting more in, if the set does retire it won't be til the end of the year, I been buying Tower Bridges using VIP points or Lego Coupons and when Amazon had a sale or to in the last 2 years. And everybody has been reporting rumors about this person at Lego said this is retiring, The Death Star and SSDS are retiring, some at the end of the year and some at the end of 2014.Even the guy that gives me the Lego wholesale form to check whats retiring etc says there are rumors the Tower Bridge and Haunted House are still on until Dec 2014. So unless you have extra money or extra VIP Points don't panic buying the Tower Bridge just yet. Me myself I hope they both don't retire until next year, because these are the 2 I want plenty of. Ed

Agree - no reason to panic at all. It will be here at least until the end of this year and into next year possibly.

Thanks Ed. I really appreciate how you back up your statements with third party support. Please let us know when to buy when that time comes so that we don't miss the boat on this one. I know several members here have openly admitted to withholding information for their own selfish reasons - nothing legally wrong there; ethically - that's another question - esp if they issue misleading statements to prevent others from buying while they continue to accumulate.

I'm not a big time investor or reseller. I like to have 3 of certain sets. So I try to spread it out over time - hoping for a deal, but worried about missing out if something suddenly becomes unavailable at retail. I've got my 3 tower bridges now so I can move on - assuming lego doesn't cancel my order - but by you sharing when you feel it is time to buy (panic), at least in my eyes, this will further add to your legacy as a straight shooter, successful lego investor, looking out for the little guy.

Guest eightbrick

Nobody knocked him off of a throne.  There was never a throne to begin with.  I appreciate Ed's advice when it comes to knowing when sets will EOL, but I really run in a completely different direction when it comes to the way I invest.  I know a lot of people on here do the same thing.  We are all (mostly) adults on this site, and contribute different thoughts each day.  While there is nothing wrong with viewing one members thoughts highly, I would urge anyone who bases there purchases on what someone on here advises (even if it's me), to rethink how they play this game.  Also, Ed understands that we aren't being critical of him, we are just trying to keep the conversation in the right place.

Also, I believe emes lurks because of how many random questions being asked by new people on here, "If I have $500 what should I invest in?"

There was never a throne? So then what was all that stuff about cults and worshipping? I was speaking metaphorically. You guys said everyone should stop worshipping him and calm down (which I agree is probably a good idea in a couple months it could get out of hand) - how is that not metaphorically not knocking him off a throne? I apologize for my bluntness, but I am really irked by the part of your post that says "I would urge anyone who bases their (not "there") purchases on what someone on here advises to rethink how they play this game". Is it me or isn't the purpose of this site to help and advise? People on here are asking questions on investments all the time. Heck, we have over a thousand reviews to advise people which investments we think are good and bad, and hundreds of blog articles to help people spend their money right. Yes, everyone has their own strategy but to say don't take anyone's advice or help goes against everything this site is about.

The reason I felt obliged to reply was because there were like 5 comments saying the exact same thing about people who take Ed's advice to highly. Yes, I could have repeated what LegoHulk said with my own wording and collect my 4 or so rep points and be on my merry way, but I felt that the way the discussion was going it became less about the view of emazers and more about emazers (eg. your wording "I appreciate what Ed does but"... directing it at him instead of at the people who are raising him up - basically what you said in that sentence is I appreciate him writing all this stuff to help other investors but I don't need his help). My post was just in defence of emazers, nothing else.

Also, I'm not sure why you put in the "we are all mostly adults on this site" thing there, I am assuming it was to make me feel a bit left out because that is exactly what it did. I understand that it sort of sucks to have us kiddies around the site party pooping, but this is Lego we are talking about. Age shouldn't be a restriction on either end.