Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

20 hours ago, legogregors said:

Staples has a 40% off packaging coupon for orders over $50

41201 good until 1/16/16

Does anyone know the best Staples box size for set 10697 Large Creative Box 1500 piece?

The last time I shipped out towers (10664) I didn't have that many (less than 10) so I bought the 12×12×10.5 boxes ($.67/ea) from Walmart and telescoped them.

stumbled upon this today.  pretty interesting.

Corrugated Cardboard Shipping Boxes & Materials

How well do you know the different types of corrugated cardboard? If your answer was “I didn’t even know there was more than one type,” you probably don’t work in the packaging industry. For those of us who aren’t sure how to tell the difference between C-flute and Double wall, here’s a handy guide on what different types of corrugated cardboard packaging is commonly used.

What is corrugated cardboard in the first place?

Well, if we want to get really technical here, the correct term is corrugated fiberboard. Cardboard is a generic term that includes all types of heavy-duty paper that can include card stock, paperboard, and corrugated fiberboard. However, when the average person thinks about cardboard, the first image that pops into their head is likely corrugated fiberboard. Corrugated cardboard is made by gluing a flat sheet of paper to a corrugated (wavy) sheet of paper. In other words, all corrugated cardboard will have this texture when viewed from the side:

What types of corrugated are there?

There are several sizes and styles that corrugated cardboard comes in. Here’s a quick look at a few of them:

types of corrugated cardboard

1. Single Face Board—Doesn’t have the durability that other types of corrugated packaging materials have, but is very cheap to produce and can provide an extra layer of protection to already packaged products.

2. Single Wall Board—The most common style corrugated cardboard is manufactured in. Some of the more common flutes of single wall boards are listed below.

• C-Flute is by far the most common corrugated flute because of its versatility. It’s an acceptable surface to print on and is strong enough for most shipping situations. It’s not great at folding in the direction of the fluting, but is still adequate for most users. C-Flute is 3-16ths of an inch thick.
  • B-Flute is a little bit smaller at 1/8th of an inch in thickness, and it is used for smaller products and boxes. It’s better for folding into intricate shapes and for printing, so this is the flute usually seen for Point-Of-Purchase (P.O.P.) displays or for cardboard cutouts.
  • E-Flute is very thin at 3/32nds of an inch. It’s very easy to fold and is excellent for printing. It’s used as the primary packaging for many smaller boxes, such as a pizza box.
  • F-Flute is micro thin at only 1/16th of an inch. It was designed to send less waste to landfills and is used for specialty packaging and shoeboxes.
  • R-Flute is a newer type of fluting designed as an alternative to B-flute. Compared to B-Flute, R-Flute has smaller and closer fluting, which leads to an improved printing surface and less manufacturing waste.

3. Double Wall Board—Much more resistant to breaking when stacked. This type of corrugated is commonly used for larger industrial containers.

4. Triple Wall Board—Strong enough to be a substitute for wooden crates. It has traditionally been used for shipping chemical containers.

Look at this pretty picture of the types of corrugated

This has been an introductory lesson on the makeup of corrugated fiberboard and a few of the different kinds of corrugated cardboard shipping boxes. We consider ourselves something of an expert on packaging and packaging materials.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

stumbled upon this today.  pretty interesting.

Ahem...  So now that you know all about the flutes, how should you use them to your advantage when storing and shipping LEGO?  ;)

Too bad the pictures were lost in the forum upgrade. I normally keep all my pictures, but I can't find them.

37 minutes ago, jgschmieg3 said:

What size is best for Grand Emporiums?

You want to stand them upright when you ship them, so I use 24x20x20.  Make sure to reinforce the bottom, top and sides with extra cardboard and not air pillows.  I cut up the jumbo boxes I get from Target, Amazon, and TRU and use them for lining inside my shippers.

http://www.staples.com/24-L-x-20-W-x-20-H-Staples-Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes/product_426406?cmArea=FAVORITES

50 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

You use a 24x20x20 to ship one modular or is that for multiples?  I use a 26x20x6 for most of my larger sets and that seems to work just fine for seller fulfilled and eBay.

He said Grand Emporiums (plural), so I assumed he was shipping multiples. The 24x20x20 holds 5 GE or other similar sized exclusives.  If you are shipping just 1, then yes, use a much smaller box.

49 minutes ago, Lego_Monsters said:

What shipping supplies are you guys getting with staples 40% off? Any great deals on tape? 

I buy this tape:

http://www.staples.com/Duck-HP260-High-Performance-Packaging-Tape-188-x-60-yds-6-Rolls/product_702512

This packing paper:

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Newsprint-Sheets-20-inch-x-30-inch-600-Sheets/product_948228

And these boxes for shipping a variety of sets:

http://www.staples.com/20-L-x-16-W-x-4-H-Staples-Corrugated-Shipping-Boxes/product_557424

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 1

My sister lives in California and two years ago I bought a 10217 Diagon Alley from amazon.com with delivery at my sister house

now I want she send me it....which is the cheapest and safest way to ship it to italy?

thanks

On 19/1/2016 at 10:25 PM, HB5 said:

Looking for boxes in the UK, grateful for any info or the right thread, if there is one.

Thanks.

and in Italy :-)

@glucapg maybe the safest way is to visir her in California, enjoy the sun and bring back the set with you

No customs issues, no extra taxes and a good chance to live the American dream!

Exact! I just needed a confirmaiton....thanks!

Apart from jokes...I let someone else answer you in a more detailed way.

I am from Italy too and when I can I tend to avoid purchasing from US due to customs, long shipping time and too many other variables that in some cases are swallowing the advantage of a much lower price on some items. Maybe it is just me being too risk averse on this, but it's not made for me.

I am curious if someone else has some more experience on this 'cause I would be interested too ;)

Can anyone help confirm that this is correct - USPS Priority from 64030 to 23518, about 5 lb 10oz, 24x19x8

USPS Pricing - $48 Priority, Paypal - $41 Prioirty.

This seems crazy high to me. I was shipping similar sized sets a month ago for $17-20 through Paypal. Is something wacko or did rates really double?

19 minutes ago, dustyshelf said:

Can anyone help confirm that this is correct - USPS Priority from 64030 to 23518, about 5 lb 10oz, 24x19x8

This seems crazy high to me. I was shipping similar sized sets a month ago for $17-20 through Paypal. Is something wacko or did rates really double?

I get like $48.85.  FedEx Ground is $26.08 before discount.

Guest betsy805
18 minutes ago, dustyshelf said:

Rates got insanely high, but I'm betting the 8" height put you into the freight charge area.  There's some sort of calculation that you do with the girth and if it exceeds a certain number it changes to freight.  It takes about $20 off if it's only 4" height with the same weight.  International shipping OVER doubled for small bubble mailers.  Went from 6.39 to 13.50!

11 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I get like $48.85.  FedEx Ground is $26.08 before discount.

I just shipped a non-LEGO return to amazon for a 3rd party seller, standard ULine 32x18x12 box, was $58 via Paypal. I did a doubletake. Still, had to ship it so purchased at that price - luckily the vendor already refunded me the entire cost as soon as I sent proof of shipment.

Don't know if it's been discussed or not. As we refurnish the house. I stumbled upon a question of some sort. Is it logical to think that one can gut the old mattress in the house and or the pillows and use the stuffing for packing material. I can think of two issues with this one is if it stinks don't know why that would happen but I guess it does and the other would be adding weight to your package.  My wife says we would be doing the earth a wonderful favor if we find a way to recycle these things. Anybody have any thoughts on this. 

Don't know if it's been discussed or not. As we refurnish the house. I stumbled upon a question of some sort. Is it logical to think that one can gut the old mattress in the house and or the pillows and use the stuffing for packing material. I can think of two issues with this one is if it stinks don't know why that would happen but I guess it does and the other would be adding weight to your package.  My wife says we would be doing the earth a wonderful favor if we find a way to recycle these things. Anybody have any thoughts on this. 

Sounds messy for the recipient...