Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

Question about the box sizes:

Are the dimensions listed for the Lego boxes themselves, or are they dimensions for a standard cardboard box that best fits those particular Lego sets? For instance, if I buy a 24x20x4 from ULINE, will a Palace Cinema fit in it or will it not quite fit because the cardboard box is exactly the same size as the PC box?

Awesome info btw. I've been buying cardboard boxes that are pretty close to the set dimensions and then cuttiing them down to minimize extra space. I learned how to do it quickly and neatly from a dude at a box store so it's worked pretty well, but I'm always looking for a more efficient system.

The dimensions are the best suggested shipping box sizes for the sets listed, or similar sized sets.  There is usually a little room left for extra packing materials.

Question about the box sizes:

Are the dimensions listed for the Lego boxes themselves, or are they dimensions for a standard cardboard box that best fits those particular Lego sets? For instance, if I buy a 24x20x4 from ULINE, will a Palace Cinema fit in it or will it not quite fit because the cardboard box is exactly the same size as the PC box?

Awesome info btw. I've been buying cardboard boxes that are pretty close to the set dimensions and then cuttiing them down to minimize extra space. I learned how to do it quickly and neatly from a dude at a box store so it's worked pretty well, but I'm always looking for a more efficient system.

Hi there,

Can you share some info as to cutting boxes? Every tome I try, I seem to spend a lot of time doing so, maybe I don't have the right tools.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Hi there,

Can you share some info as to cutting boxes? Every tome I try, I seem to spend a lot of time doing so, maybe I don't have the right tools.

Thanks!

Get a knife that has a flat profile.

Build box.

Place set in box.

Slide knife along lego set (using it as a guide) and lightly score the two longest sides of box, fold them down.

Take arm and quickly fold down remaining two sides, which if you have achieved ninja status box builder, will fold nicely without scoring

Profit

Takes just a few seconds.

To clarify, you're scoring the inside of the box. By sliding the box cutter down the length using the set to steady you, you should be able to get a nice straight line that will fold the flaps over nicely.

Oh, and once you do that, you'll also have to cut vertically through all four corners so that the flaps will be able to come down. If you have lots of extra cardboard when you fold them down, you might have to trim some of it off, too.

When I posted this months ago some said it was a joke, anybody can box a Lego set up, well I never had a problem with a Lego set getting damaged the way I do it, and since the paper I use I get it free, If I had to buy Bubble Wrap for the last 14 years it would of cost a few thousand dollars. And for the GE,HH,PS,Batman Ayslum,and any other set thats the same size I use the 24"x4"x20".

http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6657-here-is-how-i-boxed-up-my-lego-sets-to-be-mailed/

• Like 1

When I posted this months ago some said it was a joke, anybody can box a Lego set up, well I never had a problem with a Lego set getting damaged the way I do it, and since the paper I use I get it free, If I had to buy Bubble Wrap for the last 14 years it would of cost a few thousand dollars. And for the GE,HH,PS,Batman Ayslum,and any other set thats the same size I use the 24"x4"x20".http://community.brickpicker.com/topic/6657-here-is-how-i-boxed-up-my-lego-sets-to-be-mailed/

Like Ed, I also found that using paper and flatten us priority mail boxes to help with protection. If it's a really valuable set, I also cut corner L shape supports from existing boxes that are too small to use for shipping.

Notes:

I do like styrofoam peanuts better than paper if I have some laying around. I just don't like paying for it. When using the peanuts, I place a bag around the set so the buyer won't need to flick them off the Lego box.

• Like 2

I always use a flat box to protect whats inside, unless it's not a lego box and something more fragile. I may not be so crafty because I end up with the knife making its way out to the other side of the cardboard. I guess it takes practice and patience.

Like Ed, I also found that using paper and flatten us priority mail boxes to help with protection. If it's a really valuable set, I also cut corner L shape supports from existing boxes that are too small to use for shipping.

Notes:

I do like styrofoam peanuts better than paper if I have some laying around. I just don't like paying for it. When using the peanuts, I place a bag around the set so the buyer won't need to flick them off the Lego box.

I don't think we should encourage stealing on this site... maybe "corrugated paper" or "carton" instead of "priority boxes"? And leave it to everyone's own consciousness what they actually use?

• 1 month later...

Measured the set and it is approx 20" x 15"

Most boxes I'm finding are 20" x 18" x 18" which is unneccesarily big and expensive

Is there a standard size that I am simply not finding such as 20" x 18" x 6" as it doesn't need to be a big square box like what is on offer

Best I can find uk is 20" x 15" x 10"

If any uk peeps know any better suppliers for these awkward sizes let me know. I don't want to waste loads on packing material and don't really want to be having to make my own boxes or importing them

I still don't get how USPS can be losing so much money, but they definitely have some holes in their business design.  I hate to say it, probably too many high paid workers with good benefits who aren't doing enough work to further the business and revenue streams.

http://federalsoup.com/articles/2014/08/11/usps-reports-higher-revenues-but-ongoing-losses.aspx?s=FD_120814

I still don't get how USPS can be losing so much money, but they definitely have some holes in their business design.  I hate to say it, probably too many high paid workers with good benefits who aren't doing enough work to further the business and revenue streams.

http://federalsoup.com/articles/2014/08/11/usps-reports-higher-revenues-but-ongoing-losses.aspx?s=FD_120814

It is the pensions, retirement benefits, etc.

• Like 1

Most of their losses are due to the way that congress mandated they fund their pension obligations, that and the fact that the post master general can change nothing without a literal act of congress.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like to use large and small retailer plastic bags to wrap items in, even after I bubble wrap it.

For battle packs and even small sets, I sometimes use Wal-Mart, Target, or plastic bags from any store. Additional packing isn 't really needed. Usually like 2 bags on bottom, one to wrap the item, and two bags on top. Make sure to cover the corners of the item real nice to provide extra padding.

I understand some of you think that plastic bags will help with padding and perhaps even protection from rain damage.  However, I would caution against it as any plastic bag or thin plastic material is a lethal hazard to children.  With the size of some lego sets, a plastic bag that covers it could just as easily cover a child's head, and thereby cause a death by suffocation.  Whether or not an adult purchased the item, I don't know who is going to actually open the box on the receiving end.   I guess that this is part of the reasons why retailers have switched to using those sticker handles on large purchases, including legos, rather than child sized plastic bags that used to be so common.  Although the intention is well meaning, for me the potential --no matter how minute-- that a plastic bag could injure children is enough of a reason to not even consider its use.