Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

2 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

In a pinch I've used one of these before. (cut down) Perhaps it might be an option for you while you're waiting. FWIW I just ordered some boxes from HomeDepot and they arrived at the store 3 days later.

StoreHandler.ashx?media=5709&id=3588

Thanks.  Staples is usually really good about shipping orders out in a day or two but with the holiday season I'm looking for a backup plan.  Hopefully TRU and Target come through and send me all my new shipping supplies this week ;)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

Thanks.  Staples is usually really good about shipping orders out in a day or two but with the holiday season I'm looking for a backup plan.  Hopefully TRU and Target come through and send me all my new shipping supplies this week ;)

I ordered some boxes from Staples on Friday and they are scheduled to be delivered today.  I'm in the Midwest, if that matters. 

• Like 2

This is a great deal, IMO.
Brown Kraft Paper, 18" x 900ft, for $10.30 Shipped free with prime
https://www.amazon.com/Boardwalk-K1840900-Kraft-Paper-900ft/dp/B004NEW94E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1482613710&sr=8-5&keywords=brown+kraft+paper

Good deal. No Prime. So the Lego to get over $50 could be on the top or (more likely) on the bottom. Hmm...What to do. What to do.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, exciter1 said:

This is a great deal, IMO.

Brown Kraft Paper, 18" x 900ft, for $10.30 Shipped free with prime

https://www.amazon.com/Boardwalk-K1840900-Kraft-Paper-900ft/dp/B004NEW94E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1482613710&sr=8-5&keywords=brown+kraft+paper

Have you had a chance to use this brand yet? Do you know if it is the super "crinkly" kraft paper (like Amazon uses in their packing) or the softer kraft paper like you get when you order from staples? We like the really crinkly stuff as it fills voids well and holds the shape while the softer paper crushed down alot easier. I know Uline sells the really crinkly kraft paper but it is $26 for  a 24" x 1200 roll. If this stuff is the crinkly paper and not soft I'd give it a try.

2 minutes ago, asharerin said:

Have you had a chance to use this brand yet? Do you know if it is the super "crinkly" kraft paper (like Amazon uses in their packing) or the softer kraft paper like you get when you order from staples? We like the really crinkly stuff as it fills voids well and holds the shape while the softer paper crushed down alot easier. I know Uline sells the really crinkly kraft paper but it is $26 for  a 24" x 1200 roll. If this stuff is the crinkly paper and not soft I'd give it a try.

I've only ordered the Pratt brand from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Pratt-Multipurpose-Packaging-KPR30241200R-Length/dp/B00AI652CM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1482621115&sr=8-5&keywords=kraft+paper

Depends on the level of professionalism you're chasing.... You're out in the valley right? 

I work at MEC, and get alll my packing supplies from our incoming shipments, which are pretty much daily. It's an endless supply of all sorts of boxes. I'm in the position that I can be picky on which boxes I keep since I'm there all the time, I manage to grab ones that don't have any printed logos on them. But MEC is all about environmental footprint and all that, so I'm absolutely confident if you went in to the Langley store and asked them (try and ask for a senior staff or backstock team leader) to save you a stack of shipping boxes of approximate dimensions. Might be easier to advertise the request as being for moving boxes. But yea, that's one free option, but you won't get a nice pretty stack of exactly the same dimensions like you would from Staples or UHaul etc. 

Where do my fellow canadian's get Box's for shipping. i got some larger sets, to ship and i want to make sure they are packaged nice? 

Uline.ca ... we don't get the same silly deals the folks in the US get from staples. I don't work anywhere I can get free boxes so I just order three or four sizes from them.

Side note... Canada Post may deny insurance claims if you reuse a box. Don't ship expensive sets in old boxes.

5 hours ago, dah_hunter said:

Where do my fellow canadian's get Box's for shipping. i got some larger sets, to ship and i want to make sure they are packaged nice? 

Staples usually for the big boxes, and Walmart for tiny sets/action figures. I usually buy in bulk when Staples has some kind of sale on shipping supplies.

15 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

Anyone spec out the ideal shipping box size for these?

Not that I'll sell them immediately, but I can start looking for deals.

Box is about 13.9 x 14.9 x 3.7 inches which is the same height and length of the 41055 Cinderella Romantic Castle.  Box size is odd for shipping purposes unless you start cutting up larger boxes.  USPS regional B box isn't deep enough. Search Amazon and other online sites for a box that is 15x15x5. They also come on 15x15x4 and 15x15x6.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-13304/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/15-x-15-x-5-Corrugated-Boxes

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-4626/Corrugated-Boxes-200-Test/15-x-15-x-4-Corrugated-Boxes

To save costs on my Cinderella sets, I sold these mainly w/o their retail boxes.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Scatterbug said:

Some advice from UK sellers: I'm using Royal Mail 2nd Class Signed For as it seems the cheapest method with a tracking element. I've had a number of parcels get to their destination but no confirmation via the tracking number. Am i justified in asking for a refund from Royal Mail?

I also use 2CSF for <2KG parcels but, Collect+ for >2KG. I just don't trust new buyers so EVERYTHING that I send is tracked and signed for. RM won't entertain a refund for 2CSF if the parcel arrived unless you used Special Delivery which can actually be the cheapest option for an over-sized heavier parcel needing more than £50 insurance. With 2CSF, you'll only get your £3.95 back anyway and is it really worth filling in all those forms, losing the receipt that you send them (that HMRC may request) and waiting 6 weeks? You can try but, it's too much hassle for probably nothing in return.

BTW... All my medium/large sets now go in double-walled boxes that are so strong that they can even be shipped using UPS!

Edited by TabbyBoy