Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

Are staples boxes pretty reliable for shipping to end customers?  Comparable to ULine?  I've used neither.  I've been reusing boxes but my box supply for smaller sets is dwindling and I like the idea of shipping a more professional looking end product with no label or tape residue.

40% seems like a fantastic discount to prepare for the holiday season.  Do the deals usually get better or good idea to stock up now?  I've never purchased boxes before.

I think Staples boxes are great. They are pricey usually but with a discount like this it makes it a great deal.

Are staples boxes pretty reliable for shipping to end customers?  Comparable to ULine?  I've used neither.  I've been reusing boxes but my box supply for smaller sets is dwindling and I like the idea of shipping a more professional looking end product with no label or tape residue.

40% seems like a fantastic discount to prepare for the holiday season.  Do the deals usually get better or good idea to stock up now?  I've never purchased boxes before.

I have just started using Staples' boxes since a few weeks ago and I am happy with them. The ones I use have edge crust test (ECT) of 32 lbs/in which is the same as the typical corrugated boxes used by Amazon.

Edited by brickinfinite

+1 to what Exciter said.

I've placed two (separate) orders of small boxes from Staples. Had them shipped to store each time to get free shipping.

Boxes were usually shrink wrapped with an excessive amount of shrink wrap. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

Edited by pstebbing
  • Like 2

ULine is top notch, but you are paying for the quality.  Staples boxes are of lower quality (still good, don't get me wrong) but they are also much much cheaper.  40% off $50 is pretty good discount (although typical) for Staples boxes

Thanks guys.

By the way, the main post where Exciter lays out all the common sizes and sets is fantastic.  Well done.  Thank you!

Another question...is there a way to order under the minimum bundle size (25 for most) through Staples?  I couldn't find it when browsing.

That depends entirely on the box size. Larger box sizes will come in bundles of 10.

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

By the way, the main post where Exciter lays out all the common sizes and sets is fantastic.  Well done.  Thank you!

Another question...is there a way to order under the minimum bundle size (25 for most) through Staples?  I couldn't find it when browsing.

I don't believe there is a way to order under the minimum bundle quantity. You can purchase them individually in their retail locations but at a higher price point.

Edited by brickinfinite
  • Like 1

ALSO. I would recommend ordering a stash of different sized Priority mail boxes from USPS to have on hand. In many cases it's cheaper to upgrade a shipment to Priority mail AND you can cut down the boxes as needed.

I pretty much always ship Priority and just use my own box.

I bought my first batch of boxes from Staples last winter (40% off), and have been very happy with them. I had trouble deciding what sizes I wanted (didn't want to have 6 different box sizes, and didn't really think I'd use that many ... I reuse a lot of boxes).  In the end, I chose 24x16x4 for most of my bigger sets, and 18x12x4 for medium sets. I was right not to buy anything smaller... free Priority Mail boxes do great for anything under 12x13 or so (I use a LOT of USPS Regional Rate Box A, Box 1092, etc). I also thought I wouldn't need many bigger boxes, because I store most of my big sets in the carton they came in.  But what I'm finding is that a lot of shipping cartons for the bigger sets are over-sized, and cost extra to ship... also need extra packing bubbles, etc.  And of course, many of my recycled boxes are a little beat-up.  When I sell a set for $200 or more, I just don't feel right shipping it in a piece-a-cr4p dirty used box.  So lately I've been using a lot of my 24x16x4's to ship out Dolphin Cruisers, JW I-Rex (fits perfect), Ninjago City of Stiix, etc.  And I don't think I've used any of the 18x12x4 boxes I bought - they're not long enough for the bigger sets, and too big for anything else.

So my next order, I'm going for more 24x16x4's and some 24x20x6's to handle my big exclusives. Of course, it all depends on what you're shipping, but for me, the only boxes I need to buy are for bigger sets.

• Like 1

I bought my first batch of boxes from Staples last winter (40% off), and have been very happy with them. I had trouble deciding what sizes I wanted (didn't want to have 6 different box sizes, and didn't really think I'd use that many ... I reuse a lot of boxes).  In the end, I chose 24x16x4 for most of my bigger sets, and 18x12x4 for medium sets. I was right not to buy anything smaller... free Priority Mail boxes do great for anything under 12x13 or so (I use a LOT of USPS Regional Rate Box A, Box 1092, etc). I also thought I wouldn't need many bigger boxes, because I store most of my big sets in the carton they came in.  But what I'm finding is that a lot of shipping cartons for the bigger sets are over-sized, and cost extra to ship... also need extra packing bubbles, etc.  And of course, many of my recycled boxes are a little beat-up.  When I sell a set for $200 or more, I just don't feel right shipping it in a piece-a-cr4p dirty used box.  So lately I've been using a lot of my 24x16x4's to ship out Dolphin Cruisers, JW I-Rex (fits perfect), Ninjago City of Stiix, etc.  And I don't think I've used any of the 18x12x4 boxes I bought - they're not long enough for the bigger sets, and too big for anything else.

So my next order, I'm going for more 24x16x4's and some 24x20x6's to handle my big exclusives. Of course, it all depends on what you're shipping, but for me, the only boxes I need to buy are for bigger sets.

I'm with you on most of that, but I love the 8x6x4s for the smalls as the boxes are about 4oz or so and most sets that fit can ship First Class. If only there were free First Class boxes for the light sets. If there are, lemme know! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!

I'm having a problem with usps.com whenever I try to set up a shipment through them, it only allows me to choose priority or priority express. I don't really want to double my shipping price (this is single minifig) I feel like I must be missing something, but can't find anything on the site...

Hi folks!

I'm having a problem with usps.com whenever I try to set up a shipment through them, it only allows me to choose priority or priority express. I don't really want to double my shipping price (this is single minifig) I feel like I must be missing something, but can't find anything on the site...

I ran into this recently too. Apparently they don't offer first class directly from their website. Try using paypal: https://www.paypal.com/shipping

Edited by HappyHawkeye

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to start selling complete series of different themes.  Example, Monster Fighters 10228-9468-9467-9466-9465-9463-9462-9461 and halloween set...

My questions is this.  How do you ship them so the chance of pancaking something is minimal?  Is it better to sell each set individually?

I would like to do this for 70404 castle series as well.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

I would like to start selling complete series of different themes.  Example, Monster Fighters 10228-9468-9467-9466-9465-9463-9462-9461 and halloween set...

My questions is this.  How do you ship them so the chance of pancaking something is minimal?  Is it better to sell each set individually?

I would like to do this for 70404 castle series as well.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

You need boxes that allow you to pack the sets standing on their sides to truly avoid squishing the bottom ones. If you don't have that, put smaller sets that are stacked on the top so edges are touching (ie don't stack like a pyramid). If you can stand smaller ones up on the sides of the bigger ones that is good to reduce overall weight piled up.

And most important!!! Make sure your box is at least two inches taller than the pile of sets. If you use air pillows be light.. Only use enough to stop sets from bouncing around. You want the shipping box to carry the weight of anything stacked, NOT the set boxes!

If you're truly worried, get some better boxes. If I remember correctly, Lego uses 200lbs crush boxes and you can easily find 250/300lbs boxes that will stand up to tons of abuse.

Think of air space inside the box as your enemy when packing. The less movement laterally and more support you give the outer box the more resistant it will become to damage.

"Pancaked" boxes are always due to a lack of contents and support within the box. A tightly fit modular in the right size outer box will fair better than one in an over sized box swimming in air pillows. (I'm talking about YOU Target!)

Because you are dealing with several different sized LEGO boxes you might consider vertical packing of the items.

For flat packing I've used a piece of cardboard on top of a large set like 10228 to help span the load of smaller sets packed on top.

• Like 1

Think of air space inside the box as your enemy when packing. The less movement laterally and more support you give the outer box the more resistant it will become to damage.

"Pancaked" boxes are always due to a lack of contents and support within the box. A tightly fit modular in the right size outer box will fair better than one in an over sized box swimming in air pillows. (I'm talking about YOU Target!)

Because you are dealing with several different sized LEGO boxes you might consider vertical packing of the items.

For flat packing I've used a piece of cardboard on top of a large set like 10228 to help span the load of smaller sets packed on top.

Anyone ran into issues with insurance if you don't use required spacing?

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/how_to.html

"Each item should be surrounded by at least two inches (5.08 cm) of cushioning and be placed at least two inches (5.08 cm) away from the walls of the box"

No offense but when you are stacking more than one box on top of each other, a small air gap between the top of the box and your sets will prevent the top set from squishing the bottom set if a smaller box is stacked on top.

It becomes less relevant if all boxes are of identical size but still happens.

If you feel most comfortable, put a piece of cardboard that is folded on the sides and reaches the bottom (upside down U).

No offense but when you are stacking more than one box on top of each other, a small air gap between the top of the box and your sets will prevent the top set from squishing the bottom set if a smaller box is stacked on top.

Yes. Good point. It really differs from set to set, b/c as you can tell you and I pay more attention to the "structure" of the sets box.

It becomes less relevant if all boxes are of identical size but still happens.

If you feel most comfortable, put a piece of cardboard that is folded on the sides and reaches the bottom (upside down U).

This is exactly how I packaged up my 10664s for shipment. I laid them flat in LEGO Shop at Home boxes and made a "U" shapped piece of cardboard to snugly fit over the weak 10664 box. It created a really nice protective layer.

If you leave the air gap at the top, you can get away with doubling up just the sides. You're not quite doubling the crush strength but close. Also, people should not cheap out on the tape. On heavy boxes I'll wrap them 3 times to make sure the flaps don't move and often I'll wrap once or twice the opposite way... That helps to keep the box from "spreading" if a lot of weight is placed on the top in a box that is smaller.