Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

Thanks for the coupon!  This is the first time I spent money on boxes but I've been running low, especially on smaller ones for some reason.  It will be nice to have a stash of sturdy and sticker/label free boxes to pack and ship for the holidays.  I spend way too much time hunting for boxes (and realizing the perfect one has a hole or tear).  With this coupon my average buy in was ~$1 per box, which isn't too bad especially when you average that cost out over larger sets.  I should have picked up that Staples gift card off eBay last week ($100 for $85).  That would have made this even sweeter.

Make sure you go over the $50 for free shipping at Staples.  I almost screwed that up.

Alright, I just read through this entire thread and didn't see this answered.  What are the proper margins on a set when you put it in a box?  

For example, D.Ambush is 13.94" x 7.52" x 2.32".  What is the proper sized box for that?  If I were to have a 14x8x3 box, would that be acceptable?  Or should I make sure to have space on at least 2 sides, ie a 16 x 8 x 4?  I have received a few LEGO sets in the mail, but haven't shipped that many and just want to see what you all think.  It seems if you have 2 sides of the LEGO set touching 2 sides of the shipping box with space between the other two sides and the top, that would be optimal.  I'm just not sure what an appropriate sized space would be.

And for the love of god, stop shipping LEGO boxes with Air packs that directly touch the shipping box and the LEGO set. They're great for filling voids, but not direct contact.  If something pushes on the box and there's no air gap, it has nowhere to go except aginst the LEGO box.  I'm going to end up getting banned from Amazon if they keep sending me creased boxes and ones that are pancaked due to air packs.

Some of those nicks and dents from Amazon you have to accept and let go.  Like you said, you don't want to get your account flagged by Amazon for excessive returns or replacement requests.  

For shipping I would recommend ordering some of the free non-flat rate Priority Mail boxes from USPS.com.  They will fit most small and even a few medium sized sets very well.  They don't seem to be terribly thick but I've never received a complaint about a LEGO box getting damaged when using them for shipping.

Edited by zskid00
  • Like 3

Alright, I just read through this entire thread and didn't see this answered.  What are the proper margins on a set when you put it in a box?  

For example, D.Ambush is 13.94" x 7.52" x 2.32".  What is the proper sized box for that?  If I were to have a 14x8x3 box, would that be acceptable?  Or should I make sure to have space on at least 2 sides, ie a 16 x 8 x 4?  I have received a few LEGO sets in the mail, but haven't shipped that many and just want to see what you all think.  It seems if you have 2 sides of the LEGO set touching 2 sides of the shipping box with space between the other two sides and the top, that would be optimal.  I'm just not sure what an appropriate sized space would be.

And for the love of god, stop shipping LEGO boxes with Air packs that directly touch the shipping box and the LEGO set. They're great for filling voids, but not direct contact.  If something pushes on the box and there's no air gap, it has nowhere to go except aginst the LEGO box.  I'm going to end up getting banned from Amazon if they keep sending me creased boxes and ones that are pancaked due to air packs.

Is this why I just got a massive shipping box from TRU with five air packs and a whooooooooooooooooooole bunch of empty space? Lol

I prefer the set/box to touch on sides but not ends. Although an airspace around the perimeter for packing paper is good.

Some of those nicks and dents from Amazon you have to accept and let go.  Like you said, you don't want to get your account flagged by Amazon for excessive returns or replacement requests.  

For shipping I would recommend ordering some of the free non-flat rate Priority Mail boxes from USPS.com.  They will fit most small and even a few medium sized sets very well.  They don't seem to be terribly thick but I've never received a complaint about a LEGO box getting damaged when using them for shipping.

This came in today from AMZ.  Lovely.  To be fair, it appears this occurred after it left their warehouse.IMG_1613.thumb.JPG.70ab3f92fbb856e58f90fIMG_1614.thumb.JPG.463073520eeee3144bd1eIMG_1612.thumb.JPG.7632e38249c270fcb9fda

As far as margins go, if you are a few inches off on the box, it isn't going to hurt you much.  Where you ship to is what is going to hurt your wallet with weight and it pretty unavoidable.  The big difference is between First Class and Priority shipping.  If you are close to 13oz, it may pay to leave some material out or cut out part of the box.  

I do like to limit the amount of "air space" in the box, so I like them to be no more than 1"-2" from each side and pack them tightly with craft paper or other materials.  Don't pack too tight on top, because the LEGO box might bow during shipping (this is one of my biggest beefs with buying from retail).  If a box is more fragile, you can make it more rigid by cutting down another box and place it flat on top of the LEGO box to spread out any pressure that may be applied during shipping.

Anyone have any guidance on bubble wrap? Was thinking of getting a roll or two for big exclusives. Would the 3/16 or 5/16 bubbles be better? I have had a bad experience shipping with just Kraft paper and had to eat some returns due to USPS mishandling.

3/16 is a little thin, but it just depends on what you do with it.  You are really trying to protect the corners more than anything, so I can leave plenty of overlap and the corners are protected great, even with 3/16.  5/16 will be more ridged and provide more padding overall, but if you pack tightly, it might make the package too thick to place into standard boxes.  You'd be surprised how much larger a package can be, once you place a layer of bubble wrap around it.

Edited by exciter1

Guest betsy805

I've never had to buy boxes before, but have recently run out.  Noticed the coupon for Staples a few minutes after placing the order and was thankfully able to cancel it.  Ordered via Staples instead :)

Doh. Forgot to check Raise. Rookie mistake.

I finally got my wife onboard as well. She checks for gc's now whenever she shops. Download to the wallet and 10 mins later she has the gc. Fun part is knowing which ones can be used other places. She wanted something from Athleta, and best gc for there I could find was 3%. But I found Banana Republic cards for 20% off that can be used at Athleta since they are owned by same company.

StaplesLogo.jpg
s0944961_sc7?$cprelatedimage$
40% off
your $50 purchase of regular-priced packing and shipping supplies.

Expires October 17, 2015
In-Store/Online/Phone Coupon Code: 50204

40% off
any one regular-priced packing or shipping item.
In Store Only
Expires October 17, 2015
In-Store Coupon Code: 35205

Don't forget guys (& gals) that this promo code expires today...

• Like 3