Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

Guest TabbyBoy

For those of you in the UK, I now use the G30 box 600 x 450 x 150mm (or 24x18x6" across the pond) with heavy duty single-wall which is actually better than bespoke double-wall from the typical cheap cowboy outfit. I've just ordered 1000 from LIL for 67p each (inc. VAT) by tagging onto a mate's order who has a large volume account with them (£1.37 normally).

I'm also thinking of ordering the Royal Mail Small Parcel (450 x 350 x 160mm) size from there once I start to run out.

This box is perfect for trains, large CITY, large Star Wars & Medium Technic sets. I've now unwrapped all those Tesco sets and only 4 sets out of 466 had damaged boxes so, I'll just part those out. Tesco's heavy-duty bubble strips will come in very handy.

There's nothing more frustrating than spending over 30min to cut or modify the wrong sized box. - yes, it DOES take that long!

Spend some money and do it right!

55 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

Thanks for your help! Edits in progress. I may have plagiarized your less wordy quote statement ;) 

I ship all packages with delivery confirmation. After 300 orders, I have only had one case of package theft (Last November), which the buyer filed a claim with USPS. (Even funnier, the same buyer just ordered from me again yesterday) 

I also amended the Liability statement and the Recycling boxes thing.

Thanks again, you guys are lifesavers.

Plagiarize away. I wouldn't have posted it otherwise.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

For those of you in the UK, I now use the G30 box 600 x 450 x 150mm (or 24x18x6" across the pond) with heavy duty single-wall which is actually better than bespoke double-wall from the typical cheap cowboy outfit. I've just ordered 1000 from LIL for 67p each (inc. VAT) by tagging onto a mate's order who has a large volume account with them (£1.37 normally).

Just what i've been working through today. Last thing I want is unhappy buyers due to bad packaging along with bad couriers.

Get the correct tool for the job and don't try and cut corners, that's how i work in my profession. Just trying to work out the best shipping company-price vs care of product.

Had a £195 Hilti laser level go missing last month, nearly brand new, courier left it in the black bin and my customer couldn't read his writing, by the time he send picture of delivery card and I translated the hand writing it was too late. Was posted signed for as well with cover has taken a month to get refund.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Cozei said:

Most helpful, though unit conversion is the least of the translation gap.

Still chewing on you calling your ex-boss a "jammy sod" from about a month ago.

Not only that, he was also a "cheeky bugger" too but, "pukka" at his job.

Guest TabbyBoy
7 minutes ago, blocp13 said:

Just what i've been working through today. Last thing I want is unhappy buyers due to bad packaging along with bad couriers.

Get the correct tool for the job and don't try and cut corners, that's how i work in my profession. Just trying to work out the best shipping company-price vs care of product.

Had a £195 Hilti laser level go missing last month, nearly brand new, courier left it in the black bin and my customer couldn't read his writing, by the time he send picture of delivery card and I translated the hand writing it was too late. Was posted signed for as well with cover has taken a month to get refund.

This is why ALL my eBay shipping is either signed-for or goes through GSP. As long as you have tracking, eBay will look after you. When I sent normal 1st/2nd class I did have instances of buyers saying that package wasn't received which was suspect as a pattern was forming. I learned my lesson when a set was left out in the rain once!

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Cozei said:

cheeky bugger  - ok, translates

pukka  - totally lost

jammy sod  - sod, ok, but how jammy modifies sod, lost

Jammy means lucky.

Pukka means good.

I was Hank Marvin so just had a Ruby Murray with a nice mug of Rosy Lee. I'll soon head up the Apples and Pears, have a Pony and Trap and then visit Uncle Ted. It's been a Robin Hood day with some easy Bangers and Mash ;-)

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Jammy means lucky.

Pukka means good.

I was Hank Marvin so just had a Ruby Murray with a nice mug of Rosy Lee. I'll soon head up the Apples and Pears, have a Pony and Trap and then visit Uncle Ted. It's been a Robin Hood day with some easy Bangers and Mash ;-)

Show off. :-)

Visited your fine land last spring, most of time in northern Wales. Took 2 kids. Good time.

47 minutes ago, blocp13 said:

Can't work out who best to send a couple of 75919's with is it worth paying a few quid extra for parcel force and does everyone pay for cover up to the amount received for the item?

I am sending these in SAH boxes from previous purchases so should be well protected.

I would send parcelforce 48.

Here is how i usually post sets:

Any set which fit royal mail small parcel (less than 45 × 35 x 16 cm and less than 2kg) and is worth £50 or less get sent 2nd class signed for, worth above £50 special delivery.

All sets above weight and size restriciton above gets sent Parcelforce 48.

If you sell on ebay make sure you use ebay online postage as they give you a discount when posting using royal mail online. It's not much, usually only 5-20p but every little helps. You save a heck of money sending via parcelforce 48 on ebay postage as they only charge  £7.57 online (insured to £50) compared to £12.98 at post office. 

If you haven't got weighing scales and printer at home sign up for parcelforce account as you get 15% off when you use at post office.

https://www.parcelforcerewards4u.com/user/register

I never use any other couriers except royal mail / parcelforce, in the 10+ years using them I've only lost two items, and both those items I lost becuase I didn't send international signed for to Russia and China (and I'm pretty sure I got scammed and buyers just claimed non delivery becuase I never sent signed for).

When sending internationally, try to always send tracked and signed instead of just signed as that is more reliable. Bad thing is this service you can only post items up too 2kg, or you can risk it and send above as i know some people do but royal mail say you can only send printed papers above 2kg internationally.

Send everything fully insured and always signed for if item is worth over  £50 (i personally send all items over £30 signed for 2nd class as too many people push their luck and claim not received).

Hope that helps 

Edited by Mhd747

9 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

If you sell on ebay make sure you use ebay online postage as they give you a discount when posting using royal mail online. It's not much, usually only 5-20p but every little helps. You save a heck of money sending via parcelforce 48 on ebay postage as they only charge  £7.57 online (insured to £50) compared to £12.98 at post office. 

Great thanks for the info, didn't realise I could save so much on parcel force through ebay.

9 hours ago, Mhd747 said:

If you haven't got weighing scales and printer at home sign up for parcelforce account as you get 15% off when you use at post office.

would the printer be a specific label machine? If so how much would I need to spend for a reasonable one. Would be great not to have to queue at the post office so much.

1 hour ago, blocp13 said:

Great thanks for the info, didn't realise I could save so much on parcel force through ebay.

would the printer be a specific label machine? If so how much would I need to spend for a reasonable one. Would be great not to have to queue at the post office so much.

Ebay online postage prints out on a normal piece of paper so you don't need a fancy label machine or paper.

Guest TabbyBoy

Rather than use ugly tape on a postage label that reeks of unprofessionalism, I use a blank "Documents Enclosed" adhesive envelope (1p each  if you buy 1000+). I've never had a problem reading a barcode. I test on my phone first with a barcode reader app. I agree PF48 is great via eBay and I sometimes use Collect+. A lower postage cost can win you that sale and you can bump up PF48 a bit to cover FVF. I charge £9.99 for £7.57 postage... no complaints as boxes and bubble-wrap don't grow on trees!

There are so many dishonest buyers out there that EVERYTHING is either signed for or tracked. eBay will not assist you if otherwise.

When printing online postage, make sure that the blank ink/toner is good and that DPI is >600 for 2D and >300 for 1D barcodes. I used to design barcodes for airline boarding passes. 1000 had to be scanned consecutively with NO failures before I put it into production!

On 11/22/2016 at 7:48 PM, TabbyBoy said:

I'm also thinking of ordering the Royal Mail Small Parcel (450 x 350 x 160mm) size from there once I start to run out.

This box is perfect for trains, large CITY, large Star Wars & Medium Technic sets. I've now unwrapped all those Tesco sets and only 4 sets out of 466 had damaged boxes so, I'll just part those out. Tesco's heavy-duty bubble strips will come in very handy.

There's nothing more frustrating than spending over 30min to cut or modify the wrong sized box. - yes, it DOES take that long!

Spend some money and do it right!

Just a note, after reading this I looked at lil's site, gave them a call and ordered some boxes. Sent my first orders out today and must say i'm impressed they look smart all sealed with there own clear parcel tape.

The guy on the phone there end was able to do me a deal on different size boxes to get the unit cost down, rather than having to order loads of one size, this is only available with a phone call.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blocp13 said:

Just a note, after reading this I looked at lil's site, gave them a call and ordered some boxes. Sent my first orders out today and must say i'm impressed they look smart all sealed with there own clear parcel tape.

The guy on the phone there end was able to do me a deal on different size boxes to get the unit cost down, rather than having to order loads of one size, this is only available with a phone call.

How long did delivery take? I might use them when my current supply runs out. I thought there pricing was abit compared to others but if they reduce costs when phoning might be worth a shout. Did you order many from them?

Just now, Mhd747 said:

How long did delivery take? I might use them when my current supply runs out. I thought there pricing was abit compared to others but if they reduce costs when phoning might be worth a shout. Did you order many from them?

I ordered 175 boxes of various sizes, G30, G10, E0, E5-sp. 

then 80 sl3 which are letterbox size plus 36 tapes and a gun for about £275.

It was taking me ages looking for the correct size boxes then cutting them up and taping by hand. I am a great believer in having the right tools for the job in the first place. My wife also uses the smaller boxes so we can split the costs which make it a bit easier.

I did look at custom made but that was coming out at a higher cost than the G30's. the only thing that will be a problem is the larger boxes i.e PS, SC, EV(if they ever sell).

Guest TabbyBoy
5 minutes ago, blocp13 said:

Glad I could help, I also use their RM small parcel size and just fill any gaps with recycled airbags, craft paper or newspaper as long as I keep it under 2KG. Anything above that goes by Collect+ who have been great. Huge stuff by Parcelforce48 as I need the insurance cover. Collect+ even traced a parcel sent to an eBay scammer, returned it intact and refunded my postage! PayPal may also refund me too for the whole amount - LOL.

I would use eBay's Parcelforce48 but, no insurance option and no way to correct errors in the address before committing. Therefore, I'm awaiting several refunds!

11 minutes ago, Mhd747 said:

I got mine within 48hrs.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

Glad I could help, I also use their RM small parcel size and just fill any gaps with recycled airbags, craft paper or newspaper as long as I keep it under 2KG. Anything above that goes by Collect+ who have been great. Huge stuff by Parcelforce48 as I need the insurance cover. Collect+ even traced a parcel sent to an eBay scammer, returned it intact and refunded my postage! PayPal may also refund me too for the whole amount - LOL.

I would use eBay's Parcelforce48 but, no insurance option and no way to correct errors in the address before committing. Therefore, I'm awaiting several refunds!

I managed to send parcelforce 24 today through ebay with £100 cover for just under £10,

Was sending Hermes but both me and my wife(who sells glass labeled fragile) have had problems. Her parcels have been launched over peoples gates and smashed to bits.

For some reason I feel more confident with Parcelforce. But will have a look at collect+, Hermes did refund me for a lost parcel but it did take over a month and lots of live chats.

• 2 weeks later...