Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

just went in walmart to see what last minute box options they have. Here's what I found. (all basic boxes)

6x6x6               $0.48

12x12x10.5      $0.67

11.75x8x4.75   $0.58

14x14x14         $0.68

16x16x15         $1.08

18x18x24         $1.32

• 2 weeks later...

Had the same issue, but one additional criterion was "long". Like 24x24x4. Which happens to be pretty exactly what the USPS flat rate board game box is - just that shipping a Lego set in that (mostly air) is pretty expensive. I ended up waiting for a 40% staples coupon, and used that for 25 of these boxes (minimum order). I only had 5 of these sets, which came down to a little over $4 per set. This combined with the now cheaper shipping (USPS priority, but not flat rate) was still cheaper than flat rate. And I still have 20 of these flat boxes, to be cut down to size when I need to.

I think what some people may not realize is that sets could be retiring faster and stock running lower simply because more people are on this site and hoping to make money.  In a round about way that helps those who already buy an sell because the stock is lower for the regular retail customer and more quickly drives the aftermarket and retirement prices higher.

A couple of tips for sellers

The most important tip I could give anyone would be to sell on Craigslist and maybe Bricklink if possible before any other site, especially Craigslist.  Simply bypassing all the ridiculous fees and shipping and even possibly boxing up the set will save you a ton of time and effort.  Ebay also isn't very seller friendly in general, this will probably change in the future though.  There are some other offshoot Ebay like sites but I haven't used them yet(eCrater). I've only sold 1 or 2 very large sets on Amazon and I'm always wary because their A-Z guarantee can really hurt the seller if the buyer claims anything.  The buyer literally can provide no evidence and get a refund.

1. Unless you're at PowerSeller status, you usually won't be able to charge as much as those who are, nor will you get some of the benefits.

2. If you are planning to sell thousands of dollars worth of sets, you probably want to start an Ebay Store rather than just be a regular seller. I believe this runs anywhere from $30-50 more per month but it lowers the fees and gives you other benefits.  You are usually held to a higher selling standard though which may be difficult to meet.

3. You probably want to open a Fedex/UPS account on each website and when shipping items compare all the rates.  If you know someone who will let you ship out items from their business at their business rate you can save a good amount of money, but that's not possible for most people.

4. Use gift cards and coupons and promos to purchase boxes through Staples/Uline.  Or like some people have said, if possible find a local store that throws lots of boxes and paper away such as a Vitamin Supplement store (GNC, Vitamin Shop) and see if you can get some of their throwaway boxes.  Even if it's just for padding, it could be useful.

5. Package up your sets more securely than you think you need.  Add extra padding because even when you pay for "premium" type shipping such as priority those FEDEX and UPS drivers will still may toss the boxes around or place heavier boxes on top of them when they shouldn't.

6.  I've found that the insurance in some cases isn't worth buying.  Unless your buyer agrees to file the insurance claim if you go through FEDEX you won't have an easy time filing the claim.

7.  Never use FEDEX smartpost for anything valuable.. ever     and Ebay will give you a shipping discount if you purchase through their website which uses either FEDEX or USPS.  If you have a business account with a deal you will save more all the time but the EBAY discount is still better than nothing.

8.  Reuse padding envelopes from stuff you buy and just reseal them with tape and put the label on top of the old one etc. 

9.  Use an excel spreadsheet to track differen't costs so you know how much money you're really making.  You may also want to track how much time your spending to see if doing this investing and selling is even worth it because in many cases it won't be worth the stress and time for a couple hundred or even a few thousand extra dollars for anyone with a regular job or family.

• Like 8

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, Staples has $10 back on a purchase of over $20 Avery labels. I think deal ends tonight.

Also, is anybody printing USPS shipping labels using a Dymo label printer on eBay? Staples has one at 50% off, I could use some relief buying ink cartridges.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, Staples has $10 back on a purchase of over $20 Avery labels. I think deal ends tonight.

Also, is anybody printing USPS shipping labels using a Dymo label printer on eBay? Staples has one at 50% off, I could use some relief buying ink cartridges.

Dniim is the resident expert with dymo, might want to consult him.

• 2 weeks later...

yes we use it daily.  Theres some box sizes that its cheaper just to get the larger depth size and cut it down.  Its a quick process as well so not losing to much time.  You do need to change the blades out after awhile but they are reasonable.

we just order with our Uline order.  Same thing though

http://www.uline.com/BL_3401/Carton-Sizer?keywords=box%20sizer

• Like 1

Also just able to carry a few box sizes less.  We use 24x16x12 a lot  in our daily operations and with the sizer you can change the depth easily as thats a common size for us. 

They make a 24x16x12 multi depth but with the indented lines the boxes lose some of there stability doing it that way so I rather use the non multi depth version and cut it to my size.

In the instance of this box size the 24x16x12 is also the cheapest of the bunch by 12 cents to 20 cents a box.  Not a ton but when you use a lot it does ad up.

• Like 1

yes we use it daily.  Theres some box sizes that its cheaper just to get the larger depth size and cut it down.  Its a quick process as well so not losing to much time.  You do need to change the blades out after awhile but they are reasonable.

we just order with our Uline order.  Same thing though

http://www.uline.com/BL_3401/Carton-Sizer?keywords=box%20sizer

Also just able to carry a few box sizes less.  We use 24x16x12 a lot  in our daily operations and with the sizer you can change the depth easily as thats a common size for us. 

They make a 24x16x12 multi depth but with the indented lines the boxes lose some of there stability doing it that way so I rather use the non multi depth version and cut it to my size.

In the instance of this box size the 24x16x12 is also the cheapest of the bunch by 12 cents to 20 cents a box.  Not a ton but when you use a lot it does ad up.

Thanks for sharing, Raven! I don't operate on a scale anywhere near your's, but I'm always willing to pick up a tool to make my job a bit easier (and cut costs). At this point, I'm able to sustain my shipping with boxes I get from online orders, stores, etc., so multi-depth boxes aren't really an issue, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with box resizers: 

It's not needed. If you get a quality utility knife and get comfortable using it, you can score boxes easier and faster. The flatter the knife the easier to use. Something like this is what I recommend. Just simply lay the item in the box, lay knife on item, then score away. You just use the items surface as your guide.

Y10tLZK.jpg?2

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Polybags - 6x9 padded envelope

Micro fighters - 6x6x6 or 6x6x4 small box.

With polybags, I'm asking since there are two prices on USPS.  Have anyone used "Large Envelope" pricing and got caught?  Do everyone just use the "Package" pricing which is more expensive?  I imagine polybags can't pass the number 3 test on the USPS website.  Thanks for the help.  I haven't sold any yet but are looking to sell some of the freebies that I got last year to get some money for those and sell some of the bags that I opened for my kid to played with.

First-Class Mail Large Envelopes are subject to First-Class Mail Package prices

if any one of the following apply: (please select all that apply)

The Large Envelope is too Rigid

With polybags, I'm asking since there are two prices on USPS.  Have anyone used "Large Envelope" pricing and got caught?  Do everyone just use the "Package" pricing which is more expensive?  I imagine polybags can't pass the number 3 test on the USPS website.  Thanks for the help.  I haven't sold any yet but are looking to sell some of the freebies that I got last year to get some money for those and sell some of the bags that I opened for my kid to played with.

• Like 2

• Like 1

I know I use First Class Large Envelope/Package and printed through EBay, they are $1.93 for 1-3 oz and it goes up $.20 or so every ounce up to 13 oz.

to add to exciter's repsponse:

The $1.93 includes tracking so if you list your polybag with seller pays shipping and do the actual weight of the polybag (usually 2 oz) then you will pay for the tracking.

first class for 2 oz is around $1.60. you can list your light weight items a little higher like 4 oz to absorb the tracking cost OR list your polybag higher and do free shipping. Choice is yours.

this is also a great tool to have bookmarked: http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

• Like 1

I ordered one of these. Perfect for getting my "just a little too big" boxes down to the perfect 79" or less size for international shipments.

After watching the video I feel like I can do that with a regular box knife. Guess I'll give that a try next go around. This dim weight will kill profits if I dont try!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

to add to exciter's repsponse:

The $1.93 includes tracking so if you list your polybag with seller pays shipping and do the actual weight of the polybag (usually 2 oz) then you will pay for the tracking.

first class for 2 oz is around $1.60. you can list your light weight items a little higher like 4 oz to absorb the tracking cost OR list your polybag higher and do free shipping. Choice is yours.

this is also a great tool to have bookmarked: http://www.ebay.com/shp/Calculator

If you print label yourself, tracking is free...

Edit: nevermind, I just confused myself reading your post. Disregard.

Edited by minicoopers11