New Brick Classifieds Forum

Jeff Mack

Jeff, I can participate in the Beta with minifigs (don't have sets), but I have a concern regarding "stock photos" - For eBay, for example, I take a representative photo of the minifigs I have (i.e, Gandalf the White with Staff), but if I have 5 of those to sell, I don't take five different photos and create five different listings for each one. If they're new, I'm basically creating my own "stock" photo and using it for all my Gandalf the Whites.

I don't know whether folks with multiples of sets would feel the same way, at least regarding sets in the same condition (they have three mint sets, three with a crease or two, etc. - are they to take six different photos and make six listings?)

Thanks for clarifying.

• Like 1

Would we be able to leverage our Brickfolios for the initial uploads? Just curious.

No, the Brickfolio will have nothing to do with this to start.  In many ways, its like starting from scratch.  The brickfolio is undergoing its own updates right now.

Jeff, I can participate in the Beta with minifigs (don't have sets), but I have a concern regarding "stock photos" - For eBay, for example, I take a representative photo of the minifigs I have (i.e, Gandalf the White with Staff), but if I have 5 of those to sell, I don't take five different photos and create five different listings for each one. If they're new, I'm basically creating my own "stock" photo and using it for all my Gandalf the Whites.

I don't know whether folks with multiples of sets would feel the same way, at least regarding sets in the same condition (they have three mint sets, three with a crease or two, etc. - are they to take six different photos and make six listings?)

Thanks for clarifying.

The request for a photo of each item is the best way to stop fraudulent activity in our opinion.  As a buyer of over 800 LEGO sets, displays, minifigures, etc... on eBay, I can tell you that I look for actual seller photos when buying or bidding on an item, unless the seller feedback is exceptional.  Since we don't have any seller feedback yet, the real photos will help weed the jerks out.  That being said, here's what we expect:

• For minifigures or small sets that people have mass quantities of...Take a picture of the whole lot of items to show that you actually own them.  An individual picture of the box/polybag would be nice as well, but I don't expect you to take a 100 separate  pictures of a Series 5 CMF for example. 
  • For larger sets, I would suggest separate listings, unless all the boxes are similar in condition.  Even then, you should show buyers a picture of all the sets to build confidence in your listing.  Obviously, the more expensive the set, the better the pictures and description should be. 
  • Over time, when people begin to build enough feedback and the site matures, we will bend the rules for great sellers.  We are just starting out and the photo request is a good way to stop fraud. 

I want members to realize we are going to give people ample opportunity to sell their sets for free or dirt cheap fees.  All we ask is that people put some effort into their listings so we can give others a good idea what the site is capable of. 

• Like 2

Thanks for clarifying.

I do the same for sets in the same condition.  Please clarify on how you would like us to do this.

Edit: Thanks Ed, it looks like you were posting your clarification at the same time as I was posting this. =)

• For minifigures or small sets that people have mass quantities of...Take a picture of the whole lot of items to show that you actually own them. 

So if I'm understanding correctly, you would like me to line up 5 Gandalf the Whites in a row and take a photo of them to show that I have 5 Gandalf the Whites? And if one sells, I take a new photo of the remaining 4? 

If so, I think I'll simply list one minifig of each type at a time (will there be a "relist" feature after an item has sold?), as retaking a group shot of my entire remaining inventory of each minifigure each time one sells might get tedious. :D

One special note that we would like to put out there is that we have decided to allow everyone to create a new account.  It will not initially be tied to your Brickpicker account in anyway.  So for those of you that are concerned about all the BS that has been going on, you can start fresh here.  

What BS has been going on? Have BP members been harassing other BP members on other sales venues because of posts or arguments made here?

So if I'm understanding correctly, you would like me to line up 5 Gandalf the Whites in a row and take a photo of them to show that I have 5 Gandalf the Whites? And if one sells, I take a new photo of the remaining 4? 

If so, I think I'll simply list one minifig of each type at a time (will there be a "relist" feature after an item has sold?), as retaking a group shot of my entire remaining inventory of each minifigure each time one sells might get tedious. :D

No you are making too much of this.  Just like ebay you will be able to say you have a quantity of 5. Take a group shot and thats it.  Then if someone buys one, it will just say that you have 4 left, no need for a new photo.  The goal here is to show people that you really have what you are trying to sell.  We are trying to build trust.  

Yes there is a re-list and a list similar option if you need to post the same but slightly different listing.

• Like 1

What BS has been going on? Have BP members been harassing other BP members on other sales venues because of posts or arguments made here?

No nothing like that.  Just the stuff about people wanting to change the name, etc so that people are not spying on them and banning them.  Those that wish to keep their name can do that and I personally recommend it, for those that are nervous about whatever, they can start all over.

Having an actual photo(s) of the item also protects the seller as well.  Like I stated above, if a seller has multiples of polybags/small sets and the sets are all in the same condition(and it is explained that way in the description), the only picture I would ask of the seller would be a picture of the entire lot.  But as the value of the sets increase, I think it is very important for the seller to take at least one picture of the individual item. 

We can do this with no real photos, I can tell you very few items will be sold and the Classifieds will fail.  We are not eBay and cannot guarantee the buyer or seller anything like they do, not for what we will charge.  But we believe if members put in some effort and post quality listings, many issues will be avoided and your sales will increase.

No you are making too much of this.  Just like ebay you will be able to say you have a quantity of 5. Take a group shot and thats it.  Then if someone buys one, it will just say that you have 4 left, no need for a new photo.  The goal here is to show people that you really have what you are trying to sell.  We are trying to build trust.  

Yes there is a re-list and a list similar option if you need to post the same but slightly different listing.

I am honestly not unappreciative of the attempt - truly, no sarcasm - but there is no easy way around people who want to scam others. I could take a photo of the 9 Black Gate Eagles I have in stock at this moment in time, and then I could sell them all on eBay next week, and I could still claim to have the same 9 from the photo here, rake in the dough, and retire to Brazil (I haven't done the math, of course, but something like that :D )

I am not, however, trying to suggest you change anything, I'm just trying to get a clear idea of the rules so I can play by them. It's generally my thing.  :thumbsup:

(Edited to add: And thank you for answering my impertinent questions - I appreciate it, and understand how difficult it is to launch a complex selling platform. Or at least I think I understand, and it makes me tired just thinking about it. :) For me, the easiest way to use the Classifieds will probably be to do "one at a time" of each unique minifig - and set if I ever do that - and change out my photo if needed to show some difference or flaw in condition, like I would now on eBay).

I am honestly not unappreciative of the attempt - truly, no sarcasm - but there is no easy way around people who want to scam others. I could take a photo of the 9 Black Gate Eagles I have in stock at this moment in time, and then I could sell them all on eBay next week, and I could still claim to have the same 9 from the photo here, rake in the dough, and retire to Brazil (I haven't done the math, of course, but something like that :D )

I am not, however, trying to suggest you change anything, I'm just trying to get a clear idea of the rules so I can play by them. It's generally my thing.  :thumbsup:

Did we say this was making things 100% secure and scam proof, no.  We are just trying to show people what they might be buying.  Thats it, plain and simple.

(Edited to add: And thank you for answering my impertinent questions - I appreciate it, and understand how difficult it is to launch a complex selling platform. Or at least I think I understand, and it makes me tired just thinking about it. :) For me, the easiest way to use the Classifieds will probably be to do "one at a time" of each unique minifig - and set if I ever do that - and change out my photo if needed to show some difference or flaw in condition, like I would now on eBay).

Real photos help, but don't guarantee anything as we all know.  To be honest, the sellers will have very little to worry about with Classifieds as long as they deliver the goods in a timely and proper fashion.  We are not going to guarantee that all deals will go smoothly, but to those people who abuse the system, we will take a more personal interest in removing them from the site.

Besides that, Jeff, I or the Mods will have to approve every listing.  so that will stop a lot of BS as well.  Please feel free to share any ideas that we can implement to make the Classifieds a better feature.  Now is the time.

If you still need more people to list items then please consider me as well. eBay ID is scoob222000 with 610 100% positive feedback. Vast majority of my transactions are lego related. I normally have around 40-50 items listed, but currently only have about 15. I have been letting them expire until I decide what I want to do about the new seller fees and lack of free listings they no longer offer.