42009 - Mobile Crane MK II

Leicamarc

2 hours ago, unholy said:

Possible to get it 25% off

25% off is a good deal. This set is heavily invested but it's an awesome set - build is fun and displays well. For that reason I can't see this one stinking it out anytime soon. I wouldn't buy dozens of them unless you're the go-big-or-go-home type of investor, but everybody should have a few of these in their stock room.

4 hours ago, gregpj said:

25% off is a good deal. This set is heavily invested but it's an awesome set - build is fun and displays well. For that reason I can't see this one stinking it out anytime soon. I wouldn't buy dozens of them unless you're the go-big-or-go-home type of investor, but everybody should have a few of these in their stock room.

Would you please be able to direct me to the source of information where I can determine which sets are heavily invested and which are not?  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Crustybeaver said:

As Eric said, I suspect most resellers would have picked the crane up at around 25-33%. While its likely to be more desirable than the Unimog it's unlikely to be in the upper level of retiring sets for ROI. It should see a steady climb though. Expect a 25% increase over retail after one year.

Agreed - no Technic sets should be considered for CC/GG type gains.  I think it will earn more than most Technic sets, but it will not be in the same league as top-end earners.  Good set to use for diversifying a Lego portfolio.

33 minutes ago, waddamon said:

Would you please be able to direct me to the source of information where I can determine which sets are heavily invested and which are not?  Thank you.

Funny guy...

I guess you're not keeping up on your reading because investors on these boards have reported buying these things since day 1 as part of their investment portfolio. They've been scooped up from Amazon UK for a year now and regularly went out of stock on Amazon UK.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gregpj said:

Funny guy...

I guess you're not keeping up on your reading because investors on these boards have reported buying these things since day 1 as part of their investment portfolio. They've been scooped up from Amazon UK for a year now and regularly went out of stock on Amazon UK.

too heavily stocked. I stay away.

Recent technic flagships have done very, very well the last 5 years.  8043, 8258, and 8275 have tripled MSRP since EOL, while 8070 and 8110 have doubled from their low-point buy in price (though not MSRP).  By any measure, 42009 is a superior kit, and many folks (myself included) think it's the best Technic kit ever released.  

IMHO, it's an easy investment at this point.  Readily obtained at 20% off today, This will be a $300 kit 12 months from EOL next winter (which is a nice doubling over the $150 buy-in many of us pulled the trigger on). 

It's 1) a technic flagship, of 2) construction equipment, in 3) yellow.  That it's a fabulous build with well over 2500 pieces is a bonus.  I don't think it's too heavily hoarded, based on comments here, EU inventory levels, and stock levels at the outlets I frequent.  

You have to make your own decisions.  For me, this is an easy one.  AFAIK, the closest thing to a "sure thing" in our game is one of 3 categories: modulars, SW exclusives (esp, UCS), and yes, technic flagships.   YMMV.

Edited by diablo2112

8110 has never doubled and is currently trading at between RRP and 10% above in Europe  2 years after EOL. 9398 is at the same level 1 year after. I think that these sets have struck fear/pessimism into most non technic investors and is where the over hoarded element has been present as they are great sets but there is oversupply on the market. The 41999 bubble will also be on some investors´ minds.

I agree that the crane should perform  better than these or the Volvo but there is nothing like the demand for this set as there is for SW or modulars whereas it seems to have been a must hoard set for some folk that do not normally invest in Technic. From past history, we can expect another crane along in 3-4 years so it doesn´t leave a lot of wiggle room.

Buying in low does give the option to part the set out and with 2600 pieces, that is not a bad option to have.

Edited by valenciaeric

9 hours ago, diablo2112 said:

Recent technic flagships have done very, very well the last 5 years.  8043, 8258, and 8275 have tripled MSRP since EOL, while 8070 and 8110 have doubled from their low-point buy in price (though not MSRP).  By any measure, 42009 is a superior kit, and many folks (myself included) think it's the best Technic kit ever released.  

IMHO, it's an easy investment at this point.  Readily obtained at 20% off today, This will be a $300 kit 12 months from EOL next winter (which is a nice doubling over the $150 buy-in many of us pulled the trigger on). 

It's 1) a technic flagship, of 2) construction equipment, in 3) yellow.  That it's a fabulous build with well over 2500 pieces is a bonus.  I don't think it's too heavily hoarded, based on comments here, EU inventory levels, and stock levels at the outlets I frequent.  

You have to make your own decisions.  For me, this is an easy one.  AFAIK, the closest thing to a "sure thing" in our game is one of 3 categories: modulars, SW exclusives (esp, UCS), and yes, technic flagships.   YMMV.

Whilst these large technic sets have performed well, the common aspect of them all was scarcity of supply

Times have changed since then. Take you last set example (8110) of which massive hoarding took place: its price performance is far less than the other 3 examples. Everybody went nuts of its potential. I see them sitting on a shelf in a shop close to my work at 199E.

Therefore, I do not doubt the 42009 is a splendid set. But the best sets aren't always the best performers.

Remember what everybody said about BTTF and Exo Suit...(?)

This said, let's hope I'm wrong and that the set shines! That would be good for every brickpicker here!

Take care, Good luck.

Edited by ZULU
  • Like 1

On 18-11-2015 16:12:18, gregpj said:

23 hours ago, Lego_Monsters said:

Yes it's retiring next month. Buy 1000 of them.

:lolu: A few will do,  1 box will definitely lay beneath the Christmas tree at home :derisive: