10242 - MINI Cooper MK VII

TheDarkness

Today, I was at the Lego store looking at purchasing the new Mini Cooper with the smaller mini cooper poly bag, that is available to VIP members, but I was afraid they would flag me because I have already purchased one on LEGO Shop at Home. Do they keep track of how many VIP exclusives sets each member buys to prevent them from buying more than one or can a VIP member go to multiple stores and purchase exclusive sets?

if youre that worried and want a ton now, then just use cash ... dont use VIP or credit cards ...

another option would be to space out your purchases to one a month or every other month until you fill your quota of minis ...

Ordered my one Mini Cooper with free poly late Saturday night with the free delivery option

Still showing 'in progress' should I be worried? They usually dispatch quite quickly here

Ditto, but got a shipped email yesterday, so motoring its way as I type. Woohoo. I was so excited I forgot to log on and use my ********** for extra discount. Bummer.

I am disappointed by the promo. There appears to be no single exclusive piece in the set. In this case I would even like an exclusive sticker. The only "sort of" exclusive part is that white roof brick, but you can easily bricklink the micro cooper for less than $15. Why should anyone buy it for more on eBay?

I am disappointed by the promo. There appears to be no single exclusive piece in the set. In this case I would even like an exclusive sticker. The only "sort of" exclusive part is that white roof brick, but you can easily bricklink the micro cooper for less than $15. Why should anyone buy it for more on eBay?

I guess it comes down to time vs. money.   Bricklinking requires time, and to some people, their time worth more than anything else.

I am disappointed by the promo. There appears to be no single exclusive piece in the set.

I don't think it is fair to expect Lego to have a new or exclusive set in every set. Isn't this how they almost went backrupt in the early 2000s? They were making too many molds, and increasing costs, making their business less and less profitable. 

Mine arrived last night, built it. Every bit as fun and cool as it looks! I didn't bother, but if you want to make it 'Murican it's a very simple mod to put the steering wheel on the right side...

Blasphemy. I've always wanted an original Mini, ride side drive, for my daily driver. I looked into it once, about 15 years ago, but that car was way too expensive (and extremely cherry).

Leave it on the right!

I don't think it is fair to expect Lego to have a new or exclusive set in every set. Isn't this how they almost went backrupt in the early 2000s? They were making too many molds, and increasing costs, making their business less and less profitable.

Speaking of new molds, the latest Junior sets remind me too much of Jack Stone but with regular minifigures. A couple are actually pretty good as in they include regular bricks for the most part but the Batman: Defend the Batcave and Police: The Big Escape for example use big single use pieces like this, this, this, this, this, or this. Now they (Lego) can't tell me with a straight face that it was more cost effective to create a brand new mold and then print that funky plate or huge wall piece instead of using a classic baseplate or a regular one even either without printing.

I understand I am far from the age group of these Junior sets but I can remember part of my reason for getting into Lego at an early age was the intriguing challenge Lego posed. Honestly if I was given one of these overly simplified sets as a child, I'm not sure I would have gotten into Lego as I am presently. A brick bucket is one thing, a Jack Stone esque set is another.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's a British car so I'm leaving the steering wheel where it is. If a Ford Mustang was released, I'd leave that one the left. It's not as if I'm going to climb inside the thing.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

just picked one up today and yea it's a tiny little box for $100. keeping it in closet until in trouble with old lady

Yes, so I believe. They drastically cut down on the number of unique parts after that (to around 6000) and encouraged their designers to start using parts already in production, rather than requiring new parts.

For anybody in the US interested, I have made a couple orders for MINI and have received miniMINI both times.  Will be able to get the MINI for a long time, but the poly will be limited and will sell out relatively quick starting tomorrow me thinks.  Got Shredder as well the first time but could care less about that guy. 

For anybody in the US interested, I have made a couple orders for MINI and have received miniMINI both times.  Will be able to get the MINI for a long time, but the poly will be limited and will sell out relatively quick starting tomorrow me thinks.  Got Shredder as well the first time but could care less about that guy. 

So what are you suggesting?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished building my Mini (both the "large" one and the "mini" one) and am thoroughly please with both!

This might sound like blasphemy to some of you but I had more fun building this than the T1 VW Camper Van and enjoy the finished model more than the T1 as well.  The Mini feels more "solid" to me and is more conducive of "vroom vrooming" around the house...

Strangely, one of my favorite parts is the non-solid tires.  I like that air-gap they have in there; it feels more "real" if there is such a thing.

• 2 months later...