10242 - MINI Cooper MK VII

TheDarkness

Recently , I heard rumour that Mini complain to Lego that it did not pay the licences to Mini to sell this set. Have anyone heard that too?? Anyone can verify this?

Isn't it BMW who own the Mini these days? I noticed there isn't any license info on the Lego site among the other licenses, maybe that's where the rumour came from.

I doubt Lego would be so short sighted as to not clear a license though.

• 1 month later...

BMW would own the trade mark and in countries where it is allowed the license on the likeness.  In the US the original patents on the design (if there were any back then) would have expired. However the Trademark would not, as well as any new patents that BMW filed on the new design.  If TLG did not have the license, there would most certainly be a record of a lawsuit being filed, and it would be reported somewhere.  

It is possible there could be complaints or lawsuits filed in certain markets, but if it was in the US or EU it would show up on some legit news site. It is also highly unlikely, at least in the US, BMW would contact TLG directly before filing a lawsuit.

you will also notice that TLG has it listed as the MINI Cooper, no question there that they are using the official trademark, not just calling it a mini car or something similar.  

BUMP!

Can anyone confirm or deny the rumour about the licence? I wonder whether a licence would be needed when the actual product is more than 40 years old and no longer sold - don

As far as I am aware, BMW bought and owns all the names and rights to names that Rover group over in 1994. When they sold Rover in 2000 the Phoenix group was allowed to continue to use the Rover name. If they stopped trading all rights reverted to BMW. This happened in 2005.

I think BMW currently own Mini, Triumph, all BMC marks and Rolls Royce. I think they also have some rights to MG so they must have come to some arrangement with the Chinese company that is selling their cars as MGs in the UK.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Toos in Europe now...

.. because the gullible listen to unfounded rumours? IMHO, this will be around for many many more years. Nevertheless a great set and I'm displaying the only one I have. You can order 5 right now from LEGO UK with 2x VIP (I can't) and John Lewis have a googolplex on every shelf.