Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - general discussion

Turtle Power!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which intro/theme tune do you like best?

• Original from 1987-1996
    • Second from 2003-2009
    • Current from Nickelodeon
  2. 2. Do you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think the sets will be good investments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I think the majority of people that are purchasing sets at a significant increase are buying them to keep as collectibles.  In this case, they will likely be on display or even kept in their original box, so I think fragility will not be much of an issue for people paying the secondary market premium.

I also think most people won't even know about it in the first place. So if the van continues to play a big role in the new season of the cartoon, it does seem like a winner to me. I passed on a bunch at 50% off because of the build quality, but I am regretting not picking up more. It is a great gift for a kid you want to make cry though. The build is really structurally terrible, my son was so frustrated by it after he built it.

• Like 1

I also think most people won't even know about it in the first place. So if the van continues to play a big role in the new season of the cartoon, it does seem like a winner to me. I passed on a bunch at 50% off because of the build quality, but I am regretting not picking up more. It is a great gift for a kid you want to make cry though. The build is really structurally terrible, my son was so frustrated by it after he built it.

Lol a great gift to make a kid cry. Here ya go, little Timmy. Yes, cry for me. Life isn't what you expected, is it?

The more I think about it, the more dark horse potential I see in this theme - barely talked about among investors but insanely popular following among kids and great minifigs. The two downsides are poor quality sets (as far as lego sets go) and the lack of enthusiasm among AFOLs.

I can see high values in the future ..but I just wonder how long investors would have to sit on them to see that value increase substantially?

The more I think about it, the more dark horse potential I see in this theme - barely talked about among investors but insanely popular following among kids and great minifigs. The two downsides are poor quality sets (as far as lego sets go) and the lack of enthusiasm among AFOLs.

I can see high values in the future ..but I just wonder how long investors would have to sit on them to see that value increase substantially?

I agree with all your points. I can see higher values for the set in the future, but there would be a lot of time invested into the sets and the fact that the sets were rarely heavily discounted.

Some were lucky to get the Shellraiser back in July for 50% off at Target.

Wish I was one of those lucky bastards. My Target had and still has all the TMNT sets at full price. :resent: Man, all I need is the Lair and that Shellraiser to complete my collection. Like everything else, I'm working on it.

Lol a great gift to make a kid cry. Here ya go, little Timmy. Yes, cry for me. Life isn't what you expected, is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

• 3 weeks later...

Let's see, that would be $87.97 for the three where you would get all four turtles, Shredder, Krang, Splinter, a couple of foot soldiers, and the red ninja. Otherwise you could just get Shellraiser Chase and Turtle Lair for all four but then you would not have Shredder and Krang plus spent about $110. Another scenario could be to get Shellraiser Chase and then Baxter Robot Rampage for the turtles plus you would get April and Baxter but still miss out on Shredder and Krang for $100.

Don't forget each of the turtles have two different expressions and Lego made a point of spreading those out so there is that to consider depending on your own preference.

• Like 1

I did notice the Lair is on sale too. Might go that way.

bp_1383886795__quick_meme.jpg

Side note, the Shellraiser Chase is back in stock on Amazon right now. Unfortunately, it is just five dollars off retail but with the "$5 off TMNT" Target coupon you may be able to get it for $49.99 (or even down to $44.99 adding in the "$5 off Lego" one) after a price match which is possibly the lowest that set for some reason will ever see.

• 3 months later...

I had dismissed the TMNT line but considering how cheap I found sets here in Australia not long ago, it didn't make sense to leave them behind. At Targets sale the other week I scored 3 Shellraiser sets for $80. Considering our retail price for 1 set is $100 I got them 73% off. Can't lose at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I had dismissed the TMNT line but considering how cheap I found sets here in Australia not long ago, it didn't make sense to leave them behind. At Targets sale the other week I scored 3 Shellraiser sets for $80. Considering our retail price for 1 set is $100 I got them 73% off. Can't lose at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I would buy Prince of Persia sets at 73% off...

• Like 2

I built this set over the weekend with my son. It looks fabulous once it's put together, but I did want to take a hammer to it several times while building it.

• 2 months later...

I assume these were just already planned - a second wave with the first kind've still sticking around, along with the three movie sets.

However, I have to say, though I don't have a ton of them, the TMNT stuff has sold worse than anything else in my store other than the Lone Ranger.

These sat on shelves around me in droves through clearance even (I picked up a few, but didn't partake all that much).

So what are other people's thoughts? Did these sell better than I am seeing? Maybe Lego just figured they would try to strengthen it?

Honestly the sets are decent, but I don't see too much amazing apart from the Turtle Van.

And two of the new movie sets are "Movie remakes" of the lair and van.