Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - general discussion

Turtle Power!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which intro/theme tune do you like best?

• Original from 1987-1996
    • Second from 2003-2009
    • Current from Nickelodeon
  2. 2. Do you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think the sets will be good investments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Two years after this theme has come and gone a lot of you will be wishing you bought more of these sets. While I haven't gone completely crazy buying them, I do have a decent amount of the first wave sets. Have these tripled in value once gone from the primary market like a few of the recent super heroes sets have? No, but once this theme is completely gone they will be in demand on the secondary market. Why? Because it's the turtles! They have just as large and dedicated a fan base as some of the main stream super heroes.

• Like 3

Two years after this theme has come and gone a lot of you will be wishing you bought more of these sets. While I haven't gone completely crazy buying them, I do have a decent amount of the first wave sets. Have these tripled in value once gone from the primary market like a few of the recent super heroes sets have? No, but once this theme is completely gone they will be in demand on the secondary market. Why? Because it's the turtles! They have just as large and dedicated a fan base as some of the main stream super heroes.

Hmmm Super Heroes, modulars, exclusives or Turtles. I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over these sets

At lego shop@home the turtle set which was discounted 50% is still there after maybe 5 weeks. Normally that would not happen. It is just not it.

You mean Baxter's Robot Rampage? Yeah the page is there still but it also displays the "Sold Out" tag without any change of status which could very well mean the set is down for the count. Like the recent half off Desert Skiff, how many people actually managed to get any at that sale price? In any case, I can hardly wait to see how much either set goes for this Christmas. :spiteful:

Now in regards to the overall topic, isn't it a little premature to write off the theme as an investment while every single set continues to be currently available in most stores and online? I can purchase all sets from the first wave off Shop-at-Home minus Baxter

• Like 3

I'm not convinced the new Michael Bay movie won't bomb. There might be a big enough following to keep the movie afloat, but it's hard to even stomach the trailers.

I think it will work within a 'certain crowd' of which I am not a part of to be honest but of course in the grand scheme of what the buying public wants, my opinion means diddly. After watching the trailer, my interest in seeing the movie is much like that of a train wreck. It's an absolutely horrendous event yet my eyes can't look away out of strange morbid curiosity. While Micheal Bay and the box office will be pleased, fans everywhere will lose. Man, those movie turtles are fugly with a capital "F". :wacko:
  • Like 1

I think this theme will fall somewhere between Prince of Persia and STAR WARS. Basically...a middle of the road movie theme. Nothing special, but there will be interest from its fans and possibly more, if the new movie does well.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

You mean Baxter's Robot Rampage? Yeah the page is there still but it also displays the "Sold Out" tag without any change of status which could very well mean the set is down for the count.

It's still available in europe.

50% discount in Germany (ciglione) and full price in France (me).

You guys wanted a LEGO roller coaster ? Well, to feel the same effect, then look at that the availability and price of this set in France over time. It has been full price, 50% off, "not available", back again at 50% off, and now at full price. Limit of 10.

edit:

I can't prove that over time but I had two sets at 50% off (still can't manage to sell them BTW even at a lower price than RRP) and look now:

bater10.jpg

In Italy TMNT on nickelodeon is watched by around 10000 viewers , it's part of SKY ITALIA. The other cartoon broadcasted in public television have at min 100000-150000 viewers. So actually if the series is not doing well in Italy , it's because it's missing kids fans. 

The Baxter set show also that in EU there are also few investor in lego compared to NA , because even if the set is not great it's still TMNT (around from 1984) and it's 50% off.

• 3 months later...

After watching a review or two regarding the 2014 Movie TNMT sets at the Brickshow, I'm inclined to believe the after-market value of the cartoon sets is going to drop for those of us holding some of these sets as collector's pieces.  For those of you who've seen them, the newer sets are incredibly detailed and full of color, not to mention the lair is far better and larger(while more expensive), but as a TNMT fan from my youth, although I care little for Michael Bay and his movie, I would purchase the lair as a display/gift piece even at $100(which it won't be for long, discounts), over the $42-48 Cartoon Lair on Amazon.

Also, have you guys seen the new turtle models?!?!  They are incredible and even if I didn't like TNMT I'd probably just buy them as display pieces or collector's items. Due to the movie getting average reviews there might be only one wave of sets for the movie making it not a bad idea to have a few stored away.  What are you guys thoughts?

New Turtle lair

The Turtle set

post-31294-0-91775100-1408826165_thumb.j

post-31294-0-16783500-1408826174.jpg

post-31294-0-03024000-1408826180_thumb.j

post-31294-0-32439400-1408826187_thumb.j

post-31294-0-31088000-1408826193.jpg

post-31294-0-76383700-1408826198_thumb.j

post-31294-0-80058500-1408826207_thumb.j

post-31294-0-52938300-1408826213_thumb.j

post-31294-0-94504600-1408826218_thumb.j

The only thing on personal preference I don't care for is the Turtle minifigures themselves but as for everything else including all the people characters and builds, I do like them. In any case, I am still a firm believer of the cartoon based ones if anything just for being more based on one of the actual animated shows. I didn't think I would but here I am with almost the entire second wave TMNT sets where all I am missing is Shredder's Lair and the Turtle Sub. Ha.

• Like 1

I think the cartoon turtles will end up as the more popular brand, especially if they get a wave 3 and the movie ones stick with just the single wave. I do agree the movie sets have some great looking builds, but i feel like they'll be the odd ducks that don't quite fit in if the cartoon series continues.

That of course could make them far less produced, and create demand via rarity, but as far as popularity, i think the cartoon sets will win that race.

The new turtle designs are terrible.  The cartoon minifigs look much better.  Maybe the movie sets features are better but I don't really care about that.  I prefer the cartoon sets over the movie sets.  It's the closest I'll get to the original late 80's/90's cartoon series.  I can't let go of the fact that it's a crap movie by Michael Bay, Megan Fox is in it and I dislike her in movies, and the turtles look like freakin' orcs from Lord of the Rings.  Just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

I don't really understand where the OP is coming from saying that the movie-based Turtle Lair Invasion is more detailed and full of color compared to the cartoon based Turtle Lair Attack:

Turlte Lair Invasion has 400 more pieces, but I really don't see where they went.  The minifigs for the movie turtle sets look horrible too, and minifigs are one of the main drivers of these sets.  The cartoon based Turtle Lair is very colorful, has a lot of necessary turtle elements such as a dojo area, skate ramp, pizza oven, donnie's workshop, has ooze dripping, etc.  The movie based set just looks gray and boring to me.

I don't really understand where the OP is coming from saying that the movie-based Turtle Lair Invasion is more detailed and full of color compared to the cartoon based Turtle Lair Attack:

Turlte Lair Invasion has 400 more pieces, but I really don't see where they went. The minifigs for the movie turtle sets look horrible too, and minifigs are one of the main drivers of these sets. The cartoon based Turtle Lair is very colorful, has a lot of necessary turtle elements such as a dojo area, skate ramp, pizza oven, donnie's workshop, has ooze dripping, etc. The movie based set just looks gray and boring to me.

I understand the detail as all the tiny bits & bobs are more than likely where those extra pieces went into but I agree the movie Turtle Lair is rather monochrome for the most part with a few hints of color. True the movie version makes a much larger and more complete of a playset but the cartoon one stands out with its color palette and play features. Maybe if the movie one featured some colors, it would stand out better.

tmp_image.png

79117.png

Speaking of the movie sets, I'm wondering if the eco terrorist look of the Foot Clan soldiers will help or not. That's how they look to me and we all have seen those military MOCs out there.

tnt043.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm curious as to why the TMNT sets aren't that popular or perform well. It's an established theme that's been around for a few decades and is popular among adults and kids. But, for some reason not many sets seem to get sold, and they don't appreciate in value like other themes do. I wonder why.

I just don't think they have the same cultural x-factor as things like superheroes or SW have. They seem like the kind of thing kids are into for a while then just grow out of, and never really get back into when they get older.

Plus all the movies since the original cartoon series have sucked IMHO.

Edited by tractorboy

I'm curious as to why the TMNT sets aren't that popular or perform well. It's an established theme that's been around for a few decades and is popular among adults and kids. But, for some reason not many sets seem to get sold, and they don't appreciate in value like other themes do. I wonder why.

They have not retired yet. As soon as they are gone I think the growth is going to surprise a lot of people. TMNT is one of the dominant pop culture icons of the past 30 years. The new Nick series is a raging success and turtle mania has taken another generation of kids.