Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - general discussion

Turtle Power!  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which intro/theme tune do you like best?

• Original from 1987-1996
    • Second from 2003-2009
    • Current from Nickelodeon
  2. 2. Do you like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle sets?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think the sets will be good investments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

10 to 1 says these sets are available this fall at a decent discount, so no rush to get them right now. If you're patient you'll probably be able to get them at even steeper discount when they EOL next year. If you only want the figures and a few specific accessories, then as others have said save your money and buy what you want through eBay or Bricklink.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still not much for the set designs but the minifigures are kinda cool. Although I still think Dogpound is retarded which probably sounds wierd when you consider Shredder's original knuckleheads were Bebop and Rocksteady. Lego did a creative job by mixing the original and newer versions of the Turtles. It's not perfect but as close as one can get to a Legoized Leonardo and such.

On a side note, I managed to watch a couple of episodes for the newer TMNT show here and there. Well it's not horrible but not so hot either. I hit the mute button until the intro is over. It's wierd hearing the voice of Raphael from the original play the voice of Donatello now, and I know Michelangelo wasn't the brightest one in the bunch but I don't remember him being that much of an idiot. He was a surfer dude, man; not a moron. And the current vehicle is still lame compared to the original Turtle Van.

I'm still not much for the set designs but the minifigures are kinda cool. Although I still think Dogpound is retarded which probably sounds wierd when you consider Shredder's original knuckleheads were Bebop and Rocksteady. Lego did a creative job by mixing the original and newer versions of the Turtles. It's not perfect but as close as one can get to a Legoized Leonardo and such.

On a side note, I managed to watch a couple of episodes for the newer TMNT show here and there. Well it's not horrible but not so hot either. I hit the mute button until the intro is over. It's wierd hearing the voice of Raphael from the original play the voice of Donatello now, and I know Michelangelo wasn't the brightest one in the bunch but I don't remember him being that much of an idiot. He was a surfer dude, man; not a moron. And the current vehicle is still lame compared to the original Turtle Van.

I agree with this. I have the original show and the latest, and my son loves them but prefers the latest incarnation. I struggle with it because of how stupid they made Mikey. It is really offputting, as is having multiple Krang. Still the androids are cool (as was the minifig)

The figures are pretty cool, just a shame the show is lame. And yes the Turtle van isn't a patch on the original.

I think if they spent a little more time on the designs surrounding the minifigs than this series could have taken off. I actually think spreading the Turtles amongst sets might completely offput parents into buying them for the kids, as opposed to putting them all in one big set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is probably expired already.  Per the blurb at Target.com:

buy 2 save 10%, buy 3 save 15%

Offer available online only. Buy 2 save 10%, buy 3 save 15% on select Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle items. Discount applied at Checkout. Discount not applicable to gift wrap, tax, or shipping and handling charges. May not be applied to previous orders. Offer expires 07/15/13 at 11:59 PM EST.

It is probably expired already.  Per the blurb at Target.com:

Sorry about that. I must have just gotten my order in on time without even knowing it.

Does target usually run sales like this, i.e., % of based on quantity? Im totally not a conspiracy theorist, but with all the chatter about Target cracking down on resellers, I found this type of sale a bit odd.

SSSHHHH... I wanna be the only one.

Honestly though, I noticed something very big:

All of my targets, none of them clearanced any TMNT toys - Not Legos, Not action figures, not anything. Means they are selling I assume.

Only thing is I just dont know about these sets. The figures are sweet, but past that...

I may try to get a few of each set just in case.

the shredder bike is a must have too. it is the only one that features the main bad guy, and shredder is bad-ass! I love the turtles, and am not ashamed to admit that I loaded up on these when they were first released. I broke the brickpickers cardinal rule...do not buy at retail! I don't care. I plan on holding for at least 2-3 years, and will also buy more at clearance after this Christmas to lower my average cost on these sets. TURTLE POWER!!

My son got a bunch of the figures for his birthday. I have to say, they are really well made for an action figure these days. None of my local retailers put them on sale either, and the villains are particularly hard to find on the shelves.

I will probably stash a few sets away as they go on clearance, my son loves them. But man, as written about before, that Turtle van set is just a terrible build. If you want to make a 5 year old cry, have him try to build this one.

My son got a bunch of the figures for his birthday. I have to say, they are really well made for an action figure these days. None of my local retailers put them on sale either, and the villains are particularly hard to find on the shelves.

I will probably stash a few sets away as they go on clearance, my son loves them. But man, as written about before, that Turtle van set is just a terrible build. If you want to make a 5 year old cry, have him try to build this one.

The best every day price for TMNT figures is actually KMart at $7.99 each.  Once in a blue moon you can get a BOGO 50% off for TMNT at Toys R Us, but that's rare and they start at $9.99.  With that being said, it's probably a pretty the reason TMNT figures are never in stock at KMart.

Just picked up the Shellraiser Street Chase at $29.98, and will be holding for EOL.  I heard Lego was considering a redesign on this set, but it was too good to pass up at 50% off.  Anyone else think this set, the biggest of the TMNT line, is poised for some serious growth after retirement? 

I've completely ignored this theme despite loving the TMNTs as a kid and teen. I would love to jump in at 50% prices though!

Yeah, I was flat out shocked to see it at 50% off.  I was in a semi-rural Target in the town my in-laws live in.  The Target itself had a toy clearance aisle, and the regular Lego aisle.  This was in the regular Lego aisle, whereas the Malevolences I got were in the clearance aisle.  Also picked up a Black Gate at 30% off in the clearance aisle.