LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

Late 2016, Early 2017. 
So I assume we’ll be seeing at least one of the existing ideas set disappear this year then.  Ecto-1, with movie version in production? Doctor Who, hurt by no TV show this year. TBBT, poor sales?  

Late 2016, Early 2017. 

So I assume we’ll be seeing at least one of the existing ideas set disappear this year then.  Ecto-1, with movie version in production? Doctor Who, hurt by no TV show this year. TBBT, poor sales?  

Is there a clearance point low enough to make it disappear?

Ecto-1 might be a possibility.

1 hour ago, micbelt said:

The next review period will be interesting, I predict a lot of people upset if the Voltron set is not picked.

Voltron didn't make the deadline (missed it by one day).  So it won't even be considered until the current period closes in September.  It won't be announced until at least January.

The Beatles Yellow Submarine is a bit meh for me, although I still like it more than The Big Bang Theory livingroom set. Will have to wait and see how the final product will be like when it's ready for release, after the LEGO designers have had a go at it. 

On the other hand I'm really happy about the green light on the Apollo 11 Saturn V project! Standing at 1 meter tall it will be awesome! Definitely a must have for me, and right in time for the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing on the Moon in 2019 ! :)  

Which of these 9 projects in the First 2016 LEGO Review do you people think will make it? 

Ideas next review round.jpg

- As vignette I like the Fossil Museum. Not sure though if LEGO will release another vignette after TBBT not performing so well (I think). So this is a maybe for me.

- I do not think the Gingerbread House, Jedi High Council Chamber, Jurassic Park Visitor Center, Modular Train Station and Old Fishing Store will get a pass. Similar sized sets in the past have all been turned down and I do not see LEGO Ideas change their policy on it.

- Particle Accelerator is a really creative design. Though LEGO may find it too dangerous to release to the general public to play with. LEGO would not want to risk liability for marbles shooting out of the track and into little kid's eyes or expensive vases! Too risky, so probably a fail.

- Rolling BB-8 ... It looks great and received a lot of support really quick. Whether LEGO is ready (or able) to release a (Disney owned!) Star Wars set within the Ideas series is debatable though. LEGO might be doing something similar as they did with the Ghostbusters HQ and release a similar set by themselves, and claim to have been working on it for years already parallel to the Ideas submitted project.

- Johnny Five looks very feasible to me. It will look excellent next to Wall-E and if TLG can acquire the rights to Johnny Five I think it's going to be a solid pass.

What do you all think ?

Edited by Haay

6 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Frankly, I think none of the above will pass. 

That's what I'm thinking as well. The only ones I could see making the cut are the particle accelerator, but that would mean  Jason Allemann getting two of his sets released (that'd be great for him, but they might as well hire him at this point), and the Fossil Museum, but there might be conflicts with the Jurassik Park IP. 

Edited by Pomodoro

1 hour ago, Ciglione said:

Frankly, I think none of the above will pass. 

I would concur with this sentiment.  Nothing really passes the sniff test for what could pass.  And it wouldn't be the first time something didn't make it from a review.

The ONLY thing I think that could possibly muster up to review would be the Johnny 5 set, but even then it's a very, very slim chance only because Johnny 5 is just way to niche of an IP.

I could see BB8 being made. TLG loves making money, right? I think this will probably be produced as long as Disney was onboard with it. Nobody really knows what TLG pays for the rights for Star Wars & its mouse-eared brethren. As long as there isn't a conflict of interests somewhere, I could see this flying off the shelves with the Disney tax somewhere around $25-30. 

Johnny Five would be a Day 1 purchase for me. Number Five is alive! It's probably too niche, but then again... Birds. It's a cool looking robot on its own right, whether or not the kiddos are familiar with the 80s flick. 

24 minutes ago, lukiepete said:

I see a lot of Yellow Submarines being bought as gifts this coming Xmas season... I hope the Apollo 11 comes with decent mini figs of Buzz and Neil. That would tip the scales for me a bit. 

I think you need to count on Xmas 2017 for this - no way they will have this set ready before this Xmas ......

Let's  see, IPs with existing licensing agreement will not get through, so scratch the 2 SW + 1 JP ideas

Modular sized builds are next, so Train Station and Fishing House are out 

I do not think they would do Johnny Five soon after Wall-E since those are both robots.

Out of the 3 remaining, I'd say Particle Accelerator has the best chance since it is most unique looking.  They did a small dino display in RI and LEGO already released smaller Gingerbread House last year

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lukiepete said:

I probably misheard. I thought they said they were "getting this ready" for late 2016 and early 2017. 

It's been 3-4 months since the Caterham Seven was announced - I haven't heard any announcement about when that set is going to be ready .... (nor the Adventure Time set that got approved at the same time). So you're likely looking at 6-9 months before the set comes out, possibly longer. Of course someone with data on previous sets (e.g. Maze) can confirm this with more accuracy.

In the video they did say that they were preparing one for a late 2016 release and the other for a 2017 release. I'd have to go back and check for the exact quote.

I'm going to guess the Saturn rocket is probably the easier of the two to get to maker this year. The Yellow Submarine is going to have another layer of rights holders to review all the material and the product for approval.

On 11.3.2016 at 10:17 PM, Brian Briggs said:

I'd love to buy Beatles Yellow Submarine, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Nautilus and Victorian London Christmas.

Unfortunately, I doubt any of these has good chances of being released as an Ideas set. Under the right circumstances (this excludes overproduction), all of them could turn out to be great investments.

This time, at least one of my favourites made it. :party:

6 hours ago, Haay said:

We're already halfway 2016 and only 1 Ideas set (Maze) has been released so far. Does LEGO really want to release 3 Ideas sets in the second half of 2016? It's going to be busy then after the Summer holidays are over!

As long as I get my Caterham! I wonder which version they will release?

• Like 1

Between two nautical vehicles to choose from, they went with the 'flower power' one. I suppose I should not be surprised considering The Beatles are generally more known across time and continents. Plus you could probably still buy the special edition DVD/Blu-Ray of The Yellow Submarine animated acid trip extravaganza from the late 60s. All this compared to The Nautilus limited to readers, perhaps steampunk fans, and those who have watched Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea". Poor Orion Pax, I believe this will be his second submission to be rejected. Now let's see if it pops up down the road as an official set that was already "in the works".

Saturn V, I am certain we all called that one especially looking back at the list of other NASA or science related ideas approved. It is neat in a way but not really the most interesting or challenging model. With so much done already for City's own space program, this rocket feels like revisiting territory done before well as something LEGO could have made a UCS edition on their own time.