LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

16 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Thanks @Alpinemaps for the great "Quote of the Day"!!

:lol:  Glad I could help!

1985, I'm in 8th grade, and my friends and I are in our yards playing Voltron.  Forming Blazing Swords, fighting off Robeasts.  It was a grand nerdy time.  I obsessed over that show.  Saw every episode.  Hunted down the name of all 15 Vehicle Voltron characters (wasn't easy!).  Had both the big Matchbox sets.  I have a grand total of ONE Funko Pop on my desk.  It's this guy:

IMG_6709.JPG.jpeg

As soon as the Ideas set got posted, I was on the bandwagon.  I probably over shared the Idea on Reddit.  I remember being really bummed that it was about 500 supporters short of 10,000 when they closed the review period on March 1, 2016.  So it had to wait until the next review period closed (it made it's goal a few hours after the review period closed).

This is a Day One, retail price pick up for me.  I most likely will get two of these, on to build out as Voltron, and one to have as the Lions.  Short of being the Ideas creator, I've got to be one of the happiest guys around about this set.  I even built this guys (thanks to TOK's help):

Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 10.13.53 AM.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

4763008-Projects_in_Review-HnLomVTTaiC1Rg-thumbnail-full.png.d9f8b18da132ba443b6f7607e47ffb1a.png

These six sets have qualified for the Second 2017 review round. 

Personally I think the only submission that has a minor chance to actually get officially made is the Wonders of Peru set, and even that set doesn't have any appeal to me.

I Am Your Father --> Star Wars property, so not going to happen.

Space Shuttle --> Done before, so not going to happen.

Saturn V launch tower --> Not a standalone set but linked to another Ideas set. Not going to happen.

NF-15B --> Another jet plane, like the Red Arrows Hawk submission. Not going to get approved.

Gilmore Girls --> Like The Big Bang Theory, but bigger, more detailed, and more expensive. Highly doubtful LEGO will do such a set again.

• Like 1

I think the shuttle has the best chance. I'd certainly buy it. Iconic spacecraft, everyone is familiar with it, nice companion piece to the same-scaled Saturn V. And we all know how well Saturn V is selling, so I'm sure LEGO would be thinking: :money:

The only question is whether they still have the licence with NASA to produce another set.

27 minutes ago, binary_storm said:

I think the shuttle has the best chance. I'd certainly buy it. Iconic spacecraft, everyone is familiar with it, nice companion piece to the same-scaled Saturn V. And we all know how well Saturn V is selling, so I'm sure LEGO would be thinking: :money:

The only question is whether they still have the licence with NASA to produce another set.

Disagree shuttle and launch pad sought of breach the sprit of it further to that Lego has done at least 2 proper (aka non city) shuttles (3 if you include the re-release)

There is no license needed with NASA. Anyone can make a product with the NASA logo as long as they go through the approval process and follow the rules.

I think it would make sense to make another shuttle in the Ideas theme given the success of Saturn V. I realize they have made two shuttles in the past but nothing has stopped Lego from doing remakes.

• 2 months later...
Just now, inversion said:

Well, that would be a bummer. Looks boring.

The Women of NASA project submission looked boring to me as well and I wasn't interested in it. Until the actual set was revealed and it positively surprised me. So if Lego Ideas turns this TRON Legacy submission into an actual set, I certainly do hope they use that same 'magic' to improve the real set as well. ;)