Thread of Packaging Excellence

I've also noticed their boxes have been much smaller recently. I opened a box and was astonished that 2x6860 were inside such a small box. Very snug and everything was undamaged, fortunately. 

If the damages bother you, contact customer service and say you're very disappointed. Maybe you can get something.

i get this stuff all the time. there is a reason why i order 10 at a time of the same set from amazon. use 8 for padding, keep the 2 good ones :) last time i got a petshop that fell of the truck, taped up all around inside a box that was missing the whole side. may be complete. building now, if not sending back...

EDIT: had they only used extra tape all around, the boxes would stay together and wouldnt fold/crush as much

• Like 1

They have been shipping lego with inadequate padding for a while. But recently I've noticed they have been shipping without any padding and in boxes much smaller.

I have complained several times about this and either get a discount or replacement.

did you get a "cease and desist" letter from TLG for using that avatar yet?

• 2 weeks later...

How about if you mark the packages as gifts from Amazon? Maybe they'll ship it slightly better? Most items I order from Amazon, regardless of what it is, are shipped pretty decently but in the last 6 mos I have noticed a downgrade in how they pack stuff and the potential for damage if the shipping company doesn't care about the package either.

LEGO Shop at Home packaging has been decent so far for me. My first and what will probably be my last TRU shipment was absolutely pathetic. Nothing hurts more than seeing the box the items came in crushed and then to see such beautiful retired sets crushed inside. :-/

And now never mind about receiving undamaged things from LEGO Shop at Home. Just received a package as I hit send on the previous post. I'm glad I had boxes of track to cushion the Research Institute that was inside of it. The track boxes were crushed (which is ok since I am using them for building) but the RI is in perfect condition.

• 4 weeks later...

3 Target ordered Xmas winter village market 10235s showed up pancaked by UPS.

1 of the 3 I might have considered keeping if it was the only one damaged but since 2 are basically toast, they are all going back tomorrow.

also included the seal distressed label slapped pet shop  also shipped from target in the last month.

target is closing in on wm as the worst shipper in my book, but at least with WM i can do instore pick w/ no sales tax in nearby NH.

post-33930-0-35408100-1409784756_thumb.j

post-33930-0-59292200-1409784772_thumb.j

post-33930-0-48690800-1409784780_thumb.j

post-33930-0-77001200-1409784800.jpg

post-33930-0-14903400-1409784899_thumb.j

target is closing in on wm as the worst shipper in my book, but at least with WM i can do instore pick w/ no sales tax in nearby NH.

I agree, first they shipped me a Pet Shop instead of an Arkham Aslyum, but I also had to send back 3 more Arkham Asylums before I got 2 decent that I could keep. They sent those huge long boxes with minimal packing and they looked like they were sent for trial with the crash test dummies before arriving at my door.

I har ordered and returned 3 mangled HH to target. They looked like a dog chew on each ad everyone of them.

At that point it wasn't a question of lost value but the principal of things. If I am to place any order I expect the least amount of appreciation of me being a values costumer and not a dollar bill or this case one hundred and eighty of them .

for this set, which people build pack up and put away until next christmas, the box matters.

also i think the idea that boxes don't matter is really a bunch of malarkey to put it kindly.... 

why wouldn't you want a pristine box for something you purchased new?

why would you insist on a double standard from what you expect to sell, from what you expect to receive?

in every instance, you will get more money for a set with a mint box than a set that has crushed mangled box.

for a set that's retired or EOL like the SSD that's a different story, but even then you won't make out as well as if you had a mint box.

yeah, i'm a box queen and proud of it.

for this set, which people build pack up and put away until next christmas, the box matters.

also i think the idea that boxes don't matter is really a bunch of malarkey to put it kindly.... 

why wouldn't you want a pristine box for something you purchased new?

why would you insist on a double standard from what you expect to sell, from what you expect to receive?

in every instance, you will get more money for a set with a mint box than a set that has crushed mangled box.

for a set that's retired or EOL like the SSD that's a different story, but even then you won't make out as well as if you had a mint box.

yeah, i'm a box queen and proud of it.

I'd much rather have a mangled box than a smoke riddled pristine box any day.

I agree. Like you said, box condition only matters for some sets. Bottom line is people want "new" sets and box condition is secondary,

That's why most of the time I don't even bother. Also, you can often purchase a set on eBay at a significant discount just because the box is damaged and then sell for pretty much the same amount as a mint box down the road.

Bought 4 Power Armor Lex from walmart.com.  3 came in a sealed LEGO shipping container and the extra one was separate in the bigger box.  The LEGO shipping box looked like either a worker cut and tore it open to check which product was inside, or a rabid dog bit off the corner. Two of the product boxes look like someone opened it to remove the minifigs (but it's from whatever damaged the LEGO box).  The third had minor damage and the loose one is the only one I'm keeping, because it was the best out of all of them.

6n4nD4I.jpg

• Like 1

This isn't anything I ordered but apparently what the Walmart and Target around me did. The arrival of the new sets (most of them anyway) came in a couple days ago....and all I can say is their "shipment of fail has arrived". Good grief, majority of everything is alright but a bunch of them especially the big sets all looked like they were either sat on or slammed up against the wall. The seals are intact for looking at a bright side but still just what the heck happened here?

• 1 month later...

I have a couple sets on backorder this month from LEGO Shop at Home, so they sent the Holiday promo set separately.  Fortunately they put them in an actual shipping box instead of a large bubble mailer, but they jammed the box so full of air packets that it actually crushed the box of the promo set.  Both sets I received this weekend arrived the same way.  

Edited by zskid00

I have a couple sets on backorder this month from LEGO Shop at Home, so they sent the Holiday promo set separately.  Fortunately they put them in an actual shipping box instead of a large bubble mailer, but they jammed the box so full of air packets that it actually crushed the box of the promo set.  Both sets I received this weekend arrived the same way.  

I wonder if the difference in air pressure between shipping origin and destination causes air packet to expand. 

My first Elves set was a little bent up from being crammed in the box too.