Thread of Packaging Excellence

40 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I finally called and complained to Lego about their distribution center and shipping practices in Romeoville, Illinois.  I'm tired of getting shipments overstuffed with air pillows and then the boxes are forced shut, smashing the contents inside.

Apparently their shipping department works nights at the Amazon FBA receiving dept. in Illinois as well.

don't worry soon the polybags will be air pillows.  Been getting more and more with overinflated amounts of air.  Also some rather large cases compared to the older compact ones

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I finally called and complained to Lego about their distribution center and shipping practices in Romeoville, Illinois.  I'm tired of getting shipments overstuffed with air pillows and then the boxes are forced shut, smashing the contents inside.

Apparently their shipping department works nights at the Amazon FBA receiving dept. in Illinois as well.

I've been meaning to call them...did they offer a response of some kind?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Djf said:

Got my order from ebay TRU

Not only is there no cushioning at all in this huuuge box, they give me a blinking spider web thing for free. 

anyone knows how to take it off... smh

BC5033CD-7262-4EEF-A6A1-4FFA0EB8B97B.jpeg

Put some ear defenders on before cutting the cord and have a bowl of water to place the thing into until it dies. Some of these are connected to instore alarms and some have alarms themselves and are damned loud and will wake the whole street! A lot of these need a special magnetic key to undo so the only way is force.

Oh... also beware of those that can squirt ink all over the LEGO set and your clothing and furniture. If that happens, the insurance company won't help as you should've contacted the retailer first.

Sodding TRU, I might have known - idiots!

How do I know? From experience - don't ask!

Edited by TabbyBoy

I think LEGO shop at home in the US finally got the message to not pack everything so tight with air bags especially on the top. I have received 10 orders in the last week and every one of them was packed very well and nothing was damaged. This includes the scenario of a big set with a small set that usually left its impression on the big set or the big set smashed the small set on the side. I'm curious if others have noticed a positive change recently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BaconBits said:

I think LEGO shop at home in the US finally got the message to not pack everything so tight with air bags especially on the top. I have received 10 orders in the last week and every one of them was packed very well and nothing was damaged. This includes the scenario of a big set with a small set that usually left its impression on the big set or the big set smashed the small set on the side. I'm curious if others have noticed a positive change recently.

I have too, it hasn't been as bad.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 minutes ago, BaconBits said:

Quite the opposite in my case ;-(

7 out of orders now returned as even my 2 Beetles had 5mm puncture holes on the top of the boxes - totally unacceptable!

I'll not be ordering from LEGO online again until they fix their warehouse handling and courier problems. A lot of hassle, but I settled on 7 24-in-1 sets, 2 free Snow Globes, 2 Free Nutcrackers and £25 of VIP points. Even the best companies buckle under pressure to satisfy high demand. A lack of attention just costs them more £ and more work in the end.

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

Quite the opposite in my case ;-(

7 out of orders now returned as even my 2 Beetles had 5mm puncture holes on the top of the boxes - totally unacceptable!

I'll not be ordering from LEGO online again until they fix their warehouse handling and courier problems. A lot of hassle, but I settled on 7 24-in-1 sets, 2 free Snow Globes, 2 Free Nutcrackers and £25 of VIP points. Even the best companies buckle under pressure to satisfy high demand. A lack of attention just costs them more £ and more work in the end.

Sounds like you need to order from the US site for now.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
15 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Sounds like you need to order from the US site for now.

.... and how much would delivery, customs duty and VAT be?

Guest TabbyBoy

UK (maybe US too?)

Staples have improved the quality of their boxes no end and added some very useful sizes that I've not noticed before. Their prices also include VAT by default and also offer free UK delivery. I recently ordered:

8x 25-packs of 300x200x100mm for sets like Doctor Who at £7.99 per 25 boxes.

8x 25-packs of 400x300x100mm for sets like Ecto-1 and CITY Bus Station at £15.00 per 25 boxes.

I ordered online for Quidco cashback (8% ex VAT) and also rang Staples as I'm a cheeky bugger to ask for a further discount. They're sending 1 pack of each size extra free!

The boxes arrived yesterday (within 24hrs) and are the best quality single-walled boxes I've ever used, cuts and folds are spot on. I'll no longer need double-walled for higher-value IDEAS sets. Lil Packaging have been slacking a bit recently ;-)

I always wrap each set in 2 layers of bubble-wrap and then pack out the box with the free "Metro" newpaper or use air-bags if I need to sneak it under the 2KG parcel limit, eg. Spaceports.

Hope it helps some fellow Brits ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
17 hours ago, Scatterbug said:

Cheers Tabby, very useful. So you're happy with single wall? I'm nearly out of my double walled (which have been a pain in the arse as I had to trim every single one).

No problem...

From Staples? Yes, very happy!

The single wall up to 400x300x100 from Staples is perfect and keeps sets well under the 2KG threshold for Royal Mail 2SF. I'd like the same in 500x400x100, but they're hide to find so I use Morplan garment boxes for Spaceports & Volcanoes and wrap around a layer of flexible cardboard after 2 layers of bubble-wrap, the Spaceports then weigh 1990g (10g under!) packed/labelled and no complaints so far. I only have one pallet of modular/train-sized sets left and have just enough of the 600x500x120 double-walled boxes for those (from ACS). I'll need to order (or beg/borrow/steal) more boxes for the Friends Riding Club and the rest of my Pop Star Buses, but I've not found the ideal 500x300x100 box yet so I'll keep looking. My ex-employer is replacing all of their HP laptops soon and those boxes may well be perfect ;-)

I've found the rolls of flexible cardboard from Morplan very useful for extra protection when there's too much space in the box, but not enough for air-bags.

Edited by TabbyBoy

Snowglobes came in. I guess I should have expected this, Normally, I can go to a brick and mortar store and get an exchange but that seems out of the question. Almost afraid to see the full box but I think those are fine. Nutcracker is a just a little crushed so not that bad. 

Now i wish I did 2 orders of 4 snowglobes instead of just the 5.Then I could have gotten 2 sealed cases. 

lego.jpg

4 hours ago, MrToes16 said:

Snowglobes came in. I guess I should have expected this, Normally, I can go to a brick and mortar store and get an exchange but that seems out of the question. Almost afraid to see the full box but I think those are fine. Nutcracker is a just a little crushed so not that bad. 

Now i wish I did 2 orders of 4 snowglobes instead of just the 5.Then I could have gotten 2 sealed cases. 

lego.jpg

Looks like one to build to me!

Guest TabbyBoy
4 minutes ago, richiej1979 said:

Lego Friends Catamaran arrived from Amazon today in. Polybag. 

That's odd as I've never had a polybag yet from Amazon. Do you know if it was from Amazon direct or from one of their 3rd party resellers?

Remember you can contact Amazon and they often offer a voucher and even a refund and keep!

Edited by TabbyBoy