Thread of Packaging Excellence

6 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I received a $20 Lego FBA set in an envelope today.  Confidence builder in my business model.

I received two on the same day.  Not sure if they came from the same warehouse, but if they did they could have saved some time and money by shipping them in a small box.  Now they are getting returned.

Edited by zskid00
  • Sad 1

They are cracking down. I called up this morning to complain about a dent (not as bad as yours) in 2 of my 6 Woman of NASA sets and I was asked, "Are you building, collecting or reselling these?" to which I replied, "Neither, I'm giving them away as presents". I was supposed to get a call back within the hour, I never did

Customer services were rubbish on the phone, I’ll get a replacement but not until they receive the damaged one. For the inconvenience - an apology with no offer of anything else.
Maybe I’ve been spoilt previously, but this time was a let down.

36 minutes ago, mtchrs said:

Customer services were rubbish on the phone, I’ll get a replacement but not until they receive the damaged one. For the inconvenience - an apology with no offer of anything else.
Maybe I’ve been spoilt previously, but this time was a let down.

Ring just out of office hours on a weekday and you will get put  through to England or America CS. 

You will find they are much more sympathetic to your plight than the normal office hours crew, who I think are in Singapore.

Guest TabbyBoy

You just have to be polite and simply call back later if you get a "job's worth" the first time. The same goes for all retailers really. I once did the same with Amazon UK and I got to keep the item AND get a 100% refund. It was for a 21306 YS that had a smashed corner and broken seal even though the shipping box was intact.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a 10242 Mini as a present last week, via John Lewis. Delighted to receive it, but looks like they found the box under a pallet rather than on it.

On 2/14/2018 at 7:08 AM, mtchrs said:

I seem to be quite active on this thread lately.
My latest Sat V from Myer (Australia) no protection and some minor creases, but not too bothered as I get these at $127AU, but I’ll still complain... IMG_7597.JPG

I think some people take the cavity wall principle of insulation as proof that packaging with massive gaps around an item works better than pillowy soft cushioning.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Graphicski said:

Recieved the big ninjago city recently from the smyths sale - came in single walled thin box, no packing whatsoever. Top corner torn and creased and water damaged too for good measure. Is for personal build so keeping it but sent off a complaint. Cant believe a £200 item packed so poorly! 1f612.png1f612.png

Sorry to hear that. Things have got so bad that I never accept deliveries now and always collect so that I can reject on the spot. TRU's collapse should be a warning for all other retailers to get their act together when packing and shipping. Even if I was building it, I'd still complain - how can they improve otherwise? There's no way that a BP member would ship anything like that or I would certainly hope not.

As when I do order a 75192, I will be collecting it from John Lewis as I'm over 1000 parsecs away from any LEGO store and I don't trust their packing/shipping anymore. I can honestly say that I've rarely had a problem with Amazon UK (direct not reseller) and they've always given me a voucher when I complain even though it's rare.

Edited by TabbyBoy

• 2 weeks later...

My recent Ebay Brickheadz order arrived today for my son, after not being able to find The Hulk he wanted locally.  I guess PhIl B cornered the market in most of the United States.

When I saw it was shipped in a bubble mailer I expected the worst and was not disappointed.  At the least the shipping was free.  Hopefully, the seller will offer some sort of discount for the box damage.

"Hulk is mad about box condition!  Hulk smash!"

DSC00355 - Resized.JPG

DSC00356 - Resized.JPG

DSC00357 - Resized.JPG

Edited by LegoWalker4
  • Sad 2

Ok so this question is for my fellow brick linkers in the UK. I ordered a cpl SW toys off amazon and they were to be sent from the UK. They took quite a while to arrive and when they did showed up in a large plastic bubble mailer. They were both quite crushed as I had expected. I sent a complaint through amazon and the seller refunded me 100%. I explained that next time they should send in a box so as to avoid damage. Their response was strange and I cant imagine is correct. 

"This is too large to ship in a box. Our shipping carrier (Royal Mail) imposes strict size restrictions on international orders."

Now the combined dimensions of the two pieces was approx 20"x16"x6". How can it be possible to not be able to ship a package that size over seas from the UK?????

3 hours ago, longshot said:

Ok so this question is for my fellow brick linkers in the UK. I ordered a cpl SW toys off amazon and they were to be sent from the UK. They took quite a while to arrive and when they did showed up in a large plastic bubble mailer. They were both quite crushed as I had expected. I sent a complaint through amazon and the seller refunded me 100%. I explained that next time they should send in a box so as to avoid damage. Their response was strange and I cant imagine is correct. 

"This is too large to ship in a box. Our shipping carrier (Royal Mail) imposes strict size restrictions on international orders."

Now the combined dimensions of the two pieces was approx 20"x16"x6". How can it be possible to not be able to ship a package that size over seas from the UK?????

I believe Royal Mail max parcel size.

• Max length: 61cm
  • Max width: 46cm
  • Max depth: 46cm
  • Max weight: 20kg

Any bigger and it would go ParcelForce instead of Royal Mail if taken to a post office.   

If the seller gets a collection from RM,  he's going to go with RM's sizes.  There are other courier options but they might be more expensive due to international shipping.

Quick check for 20"x16"x6" size of parcel (1kg weight) shows £56 (1 day), £46 (from 4 days), £30 (5-9 days) using Parcel Force.  Too big for Royal Mail which would have been cheaper.